Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 23/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

Decent performance, didn't need to be as nervy as it was at the end, but the result is obviously the most important thing.

Harper 7

Perch 7

Willo 6

Saylor 6

Santon 7

HBA 8

Anita 6

Cabaye 6

Jonas 6

Cisse 6

Ba 7

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,92937.msg3941225.html#msg3941225

:whistle:

Thought Williamson had his best game for us. Actually won headers in the opposing box on 3 or 4 occasions. His clearance off the line saved us (for the second time in a week) and he won the penalty. We needed him to have a big game today against their aerial nonsense and he did.

Except a 15-20 min spell in the first half, I'd call that a horror show. Ben Arfa was brilliant, Cabaye, Harper, Perch, Santon and Taylor did their job. Ba did his job by scoring, but I thought his general play was below par. Cissé with a nightmare showing, didn't even look interested. Wake the fuck up.

Didn't feel like a win. Also one of the slowest games I've watched. Must have been terrible to watch for neutrals. It's 3 points, but nothing more.

Except a 15-20 min spell in the first half, I'd call that a horror show. Ben Arfa was brilliant, Cabaye, Harper, Perch, Santon and Taylor did their job. Ba did his job by scoring, but I thought his general play was below par. Cissé with a nightmare showing, didn't even look interested. Wake the fuck up.

Didn't feel like a win. Also one of the slowest games I've watched. Must have been terrible to watch for neutrals. It's 3 points, but nothing more.

Hasn't looked interested all season, sort of meh, I'll turn up, see what happens if I score great, if not...oooh look a bunny.

Probably already been said (I know Pardew has more or less said it) but our team need to stop being so sentimental. Only players in form should be taking penalties. Cissé will score when he scores. We had the same problem last season when the team kept trying to get Ba a goal when others were better placed.

Mirror match report.

Alan Pardew will order his strikers to stop messing round with Newcastle’s penalty-taking duties – after Papiss Cisse’s spot-kick miss.

In an act of generosity towards out-of-form Cisse – who has yet to score this season – Pardew’s senior players decided to present the Senegal star with the chance to make it 2-0 just before half time.

Demba Ba had already given Newcastle the lead with a deadly finish from Hatem Ben Arfa’s wonderful ball, when the pair decided to forfeit their usual penalty duties after Mike Williamson was fouled by Steve Morison as he jumped for a header.

Cisse’s effort would have sealed the game, but flew into the stands, and left coach John Carver angry on the touchline (with Pardew still serving his ban in the stands) that team plans had been altered.

Pardew was in a more forgiving mood but explained: “Next time, I’d just like my penalty taker to take it. I can understand the group giving it to Papiss, and it just talks about the spirit we have in the group that they wanted him to score. But I didn’t want him to take it.

“Players want to look after players. It is not as cutthroat as you think at times. The fact he missed it was a big enough blow to the group, so I ignored it best I could at half time. But I did mention it after the game.

“We will make a conscious decision who takes the next one. I expected Hatem or Demba to take it. But that wasn’t the group’s view and sometimes you respect the group too.”

Cisse’s lack of confidence in front of goal was also apparent when presented with a headed chance that he scooped well over before being substituted.

But Pardew backed his striker, who netted 13 times in 14 games last season: “There will be lulls for Papiss. He had three chances. In training he would have scored them. In front of 50,000 that is pressure. But he will get one soon to get him going,” said the Magpies manager.

“Papiss scored an ­unbelievable goal for Senegal. He doesn’t carry too much baggage. There is no overriding problem there. One goal will get him back in the groove.

“We have had a tough run of games and not put in ­champagne performances, but we have ground results out which is a good sign because we will get better.”

Chris Hughton was his usual understated self as he was given a warm welcome back to St James’ Park. Perhaps he knew what was coming, as his old club clinched the points after just 20 minutes.

The job Hughton did on ­Tyneside was acknowledged on the terraces with a song, and in the boardroom. Newcastle MD Derek Llambias said: “The spirit Chris and his team generated played a huge part as we worked towards winning the Championship.”

Elements of that spirit have been build on by Pardew who watched from the stands as Ba grabbed his third goal in two games.

Fired up by being dropped from the starting line up against Everton in midweek, before coming on and scoring twice, Ba seemed equally ­motivated now restored to leading the line.

Perhaps the striker was also perked up by an alleged contract row between him and the club, after he was warned his wage demands were excessive.

Whatever Ba’s motivation, and a £1million pay rise may be one of them, he was in fine form in front of goal.

At full pace, he pulled a defence-splitting pass from Ben Arfa under his control with a deadly first touch, and slotted under John Ruddy.

“I think Demba’s anger has been generated towards improving Newcastle which is what we want,” added Pardew.

Ben Arfa’s vision was key in unlocking a Norwich back line that lost Sebastian Bassong to injury after just five minutes. “In fact he had 4-5 moments that were worthy of a World Cup,” added Pardew.Norwich came close when Williamson cleared off the line from Robert Snodgrass.

Keeper Steve Harper was also at his sharpest, saving well at the feet of Andrew Surman when he was through on goal after Wes Hoolahan’s pass. And sub Grant Holt caused trouble with his power late on.

But the search for that elusive Premier League win goes on for Hughton’s men.

Got treated for a long time by the physio though for it to be just cramp, nomally a stretch out gets rid of that.

One of his legs was up and being worked on, I still think it was cramp and I'm not surprised because he was popping up everywhere.

He got up and walked off the pitch shaking hands with Norwich players so I'd assume he was OK.

Mirror match report.

“Next time, I’d just like my penalty taker to take it. I can understand the group giving it to Papiss, and it just talks about the spirit we have in the group that they wanted him to score. But I didn’t want him to take it.

“We will make a conscious decision who takes the next one. I expected Hatem or Demba to take it.

Strange comments there. If you have a preference on who you want to take it, designate someone before it's a problem. If we already have one, why is it 'Hatem or Demba'? :lol:

Cabaye took penalties for Lille, wouldn't mind seeing him have a go. I don't think any of our strikers, Shola aside, are reliable when it comes to spot kicks.

Cabaye couldn't hit a barn door today. His shooting was very wayward.

Seemed to be volleying with his shinpads all afternoon.

Cabaye took penalties for Lille, wouldn't mind seeing him have a go. I don't think any of our strikers, Shola aside, are reliable when it comes to spot kicks.

Cabaye couldn't hit a barn door today. His shooting was very wayward.

Aye, but he's supposedly decent from the spot.

Strange old game today, first 15 minutes we were terrible before Pardew realised he'd got it wrong again and swapped Perch and Anita. Immediately we became more combative in midfield and that helped a great deal. The goal arrived shortly thereafter, not a direct result of the switch as the goal came from more Ben Arfa ability, but Harper deserves a lot of credit for hoying the ball to him quickly. It's something we haven't done for years, whoever our goalkeeper has been, but today Harper released the ball early 4 or 5 times and it really helps get some momentum going. The ball from Ben Arfa though was inch perfect and Ba finished it like a man in form.

The balance in this team just isn't there though, I keep hoping it'll come good and maybe the return of Tiote and Coloccini will help but it's easy to forget we played pretty bad in a lot of games last season and found a way to win. Whilst this wasn't as bad as Wigan at home last year, it was similar at times but thankfully we scored about an hour earlier. We finished the season playign some great stuff in the much talked about formation and I honestly think it's a matter of preparation. Last season Pardew had pretty much one game a week to worry about and could spend 6 days preparing a team to play a certain formation. This season we've got Europe to contend with, and I believe Pardew has decided to run with 4-4-2 as everybody knows 4-4-2 and there is less time to prepare to play other formations. When he had 2 weeks to plan during the internationals, we cracked out a 4-5-1. Maybe I'm chatting shit but just a theory I've come up with - rather than the usual stuff about Ba hating the left wing anyway. If we've got Ba who won't play on the left and Anita who prefers to play centre mid and Pardew is pandering to their needs despite the defincies it seems to create, it's a bit of a worry.

Anyway, the set pieces were a lot better today because they weren't anything flashy, just hung up to the back stick for people to compete for. Williamson won just about everything but isn't a goal threat, and then Norwich decided to wipe him out. Nothing more to say about the pen that hasn't already been said, Cisse is desperately out of form and never looked confident of scoring, swapping the pen taker over is never a good idea really.

Second half the ref decided to play prison rules which didn't help anybody, both sides made some half chances and Cisse & Ba each fluffed a one on one but it was the subs who made the most impact. Obertan came on (and got a few boos) and then played like a fanny and got a few more. Then he got twatted in the head which seemed to daze him further. I really want to like this kid but he's just terrible 95% of the time. At least he's not keeping HBA out of the team anymore. Tiote came on to win knob of the day, just played like a total cock, held on to the ball in ridiculous areas and was halfed for his trouble, so he forearm smashed Michael Turner. Fair game. A total air shot nearly set up a Norwich counter attack too, so welcome back.

Williamson, Ben Arfa, Perchinio & Santon our standouts, honourable mentions for Gutierrez who covered some amazing ground and Taylor & Harper who were solid. Anita did well again at right back without pulling up any trees, Ba took his goal well & Cisse needs a goal to go in off his arse or something. Neil Swarbrick is an idiot.

Also fair play to the man dressed as a giant mobile phone who pulled off a great full length diving save to deny some kid whatever the prize was in the half time entertainment. A truly outstanding save, although his first save nearly killed him and it went in anyway.