Reading 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 43

Dave

Harper - 9

Perch - 5

Saylor - 6

Willo - 6

Santon - 7 (our only attacking threat really)

Tiote - 5 started ok but really disappeared second half.

Bigi - 7 - generous cos of his age, thought he was fine but we were overrun

Jonas - 4 - meh.

HBA - 4 - worst game for us for a long time, don't hold it against him he can't shoulder us all the time but they found acres of space behind him (perch's fault more maybe)

Cisse -2 - did nothing

Ba - 8

Tav - 4 - not good enough sadly, may come good someday

Ferguson - 7 definately needs more minutes on pitch

Shola - 6 did his shola thing.

Did you see the game on Wednesday at all?

Re: Reading vs Newcastle United - 29/09/12 @ 3pm

« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 03:50:00 PM »

Remove

3-2 or 2-2, not sure who'll win 3-2 though.

Called it, thought it would have been a good game tho.

A draw or one of the 2 teams will win. Good call mate.

3-2 or 2-2 you stupid fuking arsehole.

There have your bite you utter prick.

Dear oh dear..

Pathetic. We'd be bottom of the league if we didn't have Demba Ba. Crap performance, crap tactics, crap squad, crap management, crap owner, crap investment, crap crap crap crap. f*** off Newcastle.

Blimey.

My apologies, it's just frustration. I maintain that the performance was crap, the squad investment is crap and we'd be f***ed without Ba. I'm just bored of watching my club shoot itself in the foot for the umpteenth time; all the more galling when it looks like we were on the cusp of progress.

I feel your frustration mate. What concerns me is the lethargic manner in which we've approached all our games (excluding Everton 2nd half) this season.

Yes we have injuries, and we also have this handy habit of picking teams off even when we are playing crap, but their is something fundamentally wrong with the way we are playing at the minute.

Desire and spirit I dont think is an issue, we're in some sort of last season slumber which we need to get rid of rather quickly or we'll get thumped off someone.

Geniune question, how else would you lot have set up the team?

We've had a shocking match, not sure you can blame Pardew for the lineup.

:lol:

:lol: I can't believe his post after what he was saying the other day.

Whys that? I believe that team shouldve done better. Poor performances are to blame moreso than any lineup. Barfa barely got into the match 2nd half, was his performance due to Pardew also?

Because you were basically saying the other day that our refusal to sign players to improve the squad was fine and never costs us, nor is it likely to.

Now you're suggesting Pardew's options were too limited to put out a half-decent lineup. :lol:

What? :lol:

Not that hard to comprehend mate. How would you have set up the team otherwise? Our bench options were poor.

Either a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with more of the full backs and wingers on their natural sides. Take your pick.

I absolutely agree with you here, and yet I'm still not sure how much of a difference that would make. Our problems look deeper than switching formations or alternating our wingers imo.

at the moment no matter what system we put out we are still going to be suffering from an inadequate squad, a manager who can't get the team playing good football, hoofball/percentage football, players who don't dovetail well in all parts of the pitch etc. once again we've played shit and got a result (albeit not a great one) as we have good enough players to paper over the cracks.

if we really want to change the way we play the hard work is going to have to be done on the training ground rather than adjusting a team sheet with a pencil - though of course both need to be done.

Where do you begin to untangle that absolute mess? The forum in meltdown. The players in disharmony.

I'll start by saying that the only unusual aspect of today's game was that a fair result was almost achieved in favour of the opposition (as should have been the case a few times this season, and many times last season). Reading were full value for a win.

The performance was horrible. Pardew's management absolutely stunk the place out. Reading and Norwich are probably the two worst sides in the league. I'm not a stereotyped "deluded Mag" and I have no disillusions about us having Barcelona quality-calibre players - but we comfortably have more than enough (several times over, perhaps) to get 6 points from both those teams and a healthy goal difference.

Reading had no clue what to do with the ball until our predictably negative tactics, long balls and lacklustre "creativity" handed them comfort and space to take the initiative and dictate the game.

Telling posters to get a grip because they vent their exasperation with shit football is not on either btw. Most of the posters who were frustrated during the game are also frustrated during wins where we play shit and win undeservedly (and that's very frequently btw). The fickle arseholes are you, the ones whose assessment of a team is based purely on results - in which case I suggest you follow the stock market instead of football.

We essentially play like Stoke City, except we're SHIT at set pieces and we have the players of a top 7 team instead of Jon Walters & Co.

Re: Tiote smacking Tav round the back of the head, who in turn blamed HBA - I'm not too worried. Football rage hits everyone. They're hungry. As long as they can shake hands and laugh about something else together later.

Pardew continues a rich vein of shit form.

Amen to that  :thup:

Thoughts haven't changed since the window shut. We've got a good first XI, but a poor squad which will probably be found out by January. Hopefully we will do in January what we should have done in summer and give ourselves a fighting chance.

I fear for our season if we lose Ba or Ben Arfa for any length of time because we are pinching results we scarcely deserve.

On the face of it, considering the injuries, not a bad point. But the performance is a major cause for concern about just how our squad is going to cope.

Either a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with more of the full backs and wingers on their natural sides. Take your pick.

About the best shout you'd have is dropping barfa behind the front two to link midfield. Putting your best 3 attacking players infront of Tiote, Bigi & Jonas today wouldnt have created wonderous football. Cabaye missing was a huge loss. The natural side line you're overplayng.

I'm not overplaying it at all, it's a question of balance. 4-4-2 simply does not work with players on their wrong side.

About the best shout you'd have is dropping barfa behind the front two to link midfield. Putting your best 3 attacking players infront of Tiote, Bigi & Jonas today wouldnt have created wonderous football. Cabaye missing was a huge loss. The natural side line you're overplayng.

I'm not overplaying it at all, it's a question of balance. 4-4-2 simply does not work with players on their wrong side.

Or their right side, in all likelyhood.

Because you were basically saying the other day that our refusal to sign players to improve the squad was fine and never costs us, nor is it likely to.

Now you're suggesting Pardew's options were too limited to put out a half-decent lineup. :lol:

:lol:

What? :lol:

Not that hard to comprehend mate. How would you have set up the team otherwise? Our bench options were poor.

I absolutely agree with you here, and yet I'm still not sure how much of a difference that would make. Our problems look deeper than switching formations or alternating our wingers imo. [/snip]

It won't fix everything, but it'd get Ba/Cisse working at least, which is obviously vital for us.

The lack of balance is at the very top of the list of problems imo. Been clear as day for fucking ages.