Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/12 - post match relief from page 29

Greg

Got to say thanks to Clarke, I know he does it (taking his striker off) every game but it was an absymal decision to take Lukaku off today.

I thought it was a good idea. They wanted to hit us over the top with a quick striker when we were (supposed to be, anyway) going for the win. If the striker had stayed onside more he'd have been in at least once.

Got to say thanks to Clarke, I know he does it (taking his striker off) every game but it was an absymal decision to take Lukaku off today.

I thought it was a good idea. They wanted to hit us over the top with a quick striker when we were (supposed to be, anyway) going for the win. If the striker had stayed onside more he'd have been in at least once.

They became very 1D by doing it though, they could and were doing the same with Lukaku on but they lost his ability to hold it up in the bargain too thus meaning the ball wasn't sticking up top for them and we could pile on a little bit of pressure towards the end which ultimately led to the goal.

Makes me wonder, are there any qualms about going with Long and Lukaku all at once?

Guest Brazilianbob

Don't see why anyone is complaining.  It's a sign of a good side that wins when playing poorly.  In all likeliehood we will play well against the dippers but lose.  It's football.  You cant play well all the time, the secret is to win despite not playing well.  Job done today.

Fucking bored of Pardew at the moment. Why can't we be a bit more positive and relax a bit. Score and we just seem to stop playing.

He said you can judge where a team is after 10 games, well we are nearly there now. When he watches back over the 10 games......

Plus side is, we are picking up points, have played some tough games, should qualify for next stage of Europa all playing well below par.  Hopefully just a slow start aka Everton (usually) and we really pick up soon....

One can hope!!!!

Ferguson should feel very hard done by not to have played today. He's not put a foot wrong in any game he's played for us imo, and he had to sit on the bench and watch the shit served up by others out there this afternoon

Don't see why anyone is complaining.  It's a sign of a good side that wins when playing poorly.  In all likeliehood we will play well against the dippers but lose.  It's football.  You cant play well all the time, the secret is to win despite not playing well.  Job done today.

Playing poorly and grinding out results is fine in the short-term but when it becomes a long-term theme (which it is now becoming) it usually suggests one of two things:

- You have poor players but a good manager who has a team playing to a level that is more than the sum of its parts

or

- You have good players but a poor manager who is relying on the raw attributes of his players to get by

f***ing awful.

I could feel the anger brewing in the stadium for a crescendo of boos at full time, until that goal went in.

We've not played well once this season at all

2nd half was the most negative atmosphere in the stadium for a long, long time imo

Guest WashyGeordie

Not a great game, not a great performance but a good - and unexpected result.  I really did think West Brom were gonna snatch it at the end.

Positives were HBA and......perhaps Colo.  That was about it really.

HBA didn't really get into the game (or enough), bar his run in the first half. He seemed to try too hard, keep the ball too long and eventually getting tackled - although they did seem to be always 3 men around him.

Only positives for me were probablies Krul and Colo. Possibly Sammy aswell when he came on...

We were pretty negative today, and are very very lucky to get 3pts. 2nd half was the worst I seen for a canny while tbh.

Guest Brazilianbob

Playing poorly and grinding out results is fine in the short-term but when it becomes a long-term theme (which it is now becoming) it usually suggests one of two things:

- You have poor players but a good manager who has a team playing to a level that is more than the sum of its parts

or

- You have good players but a poor manager who is relying on the raw attributes of his players to get by

It could also mean we have a good manager who recognizes that you can't always play to your strengths as other teams have a game plan to stop you.  That's means grinding out a result which is what we did for the majority of last season and you can only do that if you have good players!!

Poor performance, good result.

Would like us to retain the ball abit on the oppositions half, and create some chances. We have the players to retain possesion.

also, Think we will meet alot worse sides than WBA this year, they look very solid.

It's worrying that we can't seem to get into any rythym and keep it going for a while. We are relying on flashes of brilliance or the consistence of our main striker. We really do not know what our best side is or our best formation, too many changes for me at the moment.

I think it's clear that shola can only play as a target man, simpson can only defend (to a certain level) and Perch is not up to holding the midfield together when we play 442.

Nice to win when you're playing shi*t though! :)

Liverpool away must be a 451 or 433. We can probably do this lot the way they are playing, if we keep Suarez quiet they look pretty ordinary.

Like some have said we haven't played well once this season which worries me, he's too focussed on keeping Ba happy and not about the team, we all know what system we should play and this system brings the best out of everyone but Ba.  Ba is still awesome wide in 433 but its not his best position but fuck it its his best position for us in terms of getting the best out of the overall team.  Either do that or start Sammy, Obertan or marveuax as part of a front 3 with Ba through the middle or sign some cunt in January who likes playing on the left of a front 3.

I've only seen the last 10 minutes and the goals very briefly. Haven't seen it mentioned in the pre match relief yet, but was it really Shola who played Lukaku onside for their goal?

this is correct.

I've only seen the last 10 minutes and the goals very briefly. Haven't seen it mentioned in the pre match relief yet, but was it really Shola who played Lukaku onside for their goal?

this is correct.

I thought I saw the famous nr 23 jersey but decided I must have seen wrong. What on earth was he doing all the way back there?:lol: