Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/12 - post match relief from page 29

Greg

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I'd like to thank Steve Clarke for his help today. Taking off Lukaku was the best thing to happen to us in the second half, I thought he was the best player on the pitch by a distance

Like some have said we haven't played well once this season which worries me, he's too focussed on keeping Ba happy and not about the team, we all know what system we should play and this system brings the best out of everyone but Ba.  Ba is still awesome wide in 433 but its not his best position but f*** it its his best position for us in terms of getting the best out of the overall team.  Either do that or start Sammy, Obertan or marveuax as part of a front 3 with Ba through the middle or sign some c*** in January who likes playing on the left of a front 3.

its a tired point but at least we are picking up points. If we do start to play well surely things will get a lot better.

Very disappointing display. We were OK first half but nothing more, second half we were abysmal for the most half and had WBA been more clinical we would have been staring defeat in the face. Highly fortunate to have come away with all three points but I suppose you have to give credit to the players for not giving in. Really difficult to pick out anyone who played particularly well aside from Krul, although Obertan looked decent and seems to have a fair bit of confidence at the moment, same can be said for Sammy. Lukaku was excellent for them, Chelsea have got themselves a top player there.

Still, despite the poor performance, we got the win and are just four points adrift of 4th and currently in control of Europa League group. I think each and every one of us would have taken that at the start of the season.

Really think we lacked the final ball today, cisse was clean through at a few occations, and I really expect players like HBA and Cabaye to see those options. Against the brawler of a defence WBA has, Cisse could've been at 1v1 2-3 times. And tbf, HBA only kept running into trouble, sometimes his excellent ball controll saved him, but rather often he just turned into other players. This again is because of lack of movement, as moving players should've created havoc around HBA more times then it did.

I have not had a proper look around the site this evening, but I was totally bewildered and confused by what Pardew was trying to accomplish with our formation and I imagine this has already been done to death but here is my take:

We were playing a 4-5-1 with HBA and Shola (WTF) playing on the extreme wings in the first half. Okay with HBA on the left finally we saw a couple of good crosses with his left foot... but what was Shola expected to do? He is not a winger and he left Simpson with everything to do on the right which is a foolish gamble. In the start of the second half I believe we all caught a glimpse of what that formation was supposed to do and that was have Shola knock the ball into the middle of the pitch for onrushing Ba or a midfielder... but why?

And how about that midfield? We had Perch and Jonas playing DCM and yet Cabaye was behind them 90% of the time in the first half.

I think we had a better formation out in the latter stages of the second half (jonas did well when slotted back to fullback) but the subs and the radical formation change totally unsettled our players and had them literally running into each other when attempting to maintain possession.

I did not like whatever that was that Pardew had the players attempting in the first half and hopefully we will never see that type of formation and set of tactics again (especially at home FFS).

We got lucky.

Was just a crap display from us really, time and time again we would have the ball and absolutely no options for a short pass so it would go long, yet when WBA had it they have 4 or 5 men available. Just felt like they had an extra player at times, HBA would get the ball and have 3 or 4 WBA players around him yet none of our players seemed to be free. Other times we just passed the ball 5 yards to their player which didn't help either. Thought Mulumbu was excellent for them, great at winning the ball but also keeping WBA ticking over and played a great ball through to Lukaku.

Krul - Our man of the match for his saves from the 2 Lukaku one-on-one's. No chance with the goal and hesitant distribution.

Simpson - Didn't do anything of note really, not sorry to see him get subbed as he offers nothing going forwards, as usual.

Santon - Was great first half, and nearly scored. Second half he kept plugging away once switched to the right.

Colo - Some good interceptions as per, struggled a bit against Long's pace. Once Long came on WBA's gameplan was to play it into the channels over and over again, pace isn't Colo's strong suit but he just about coped.

Williamson - Bog standard Williamson performance, the whole defence was troubled by Lukaku so unfair to blame anybody individually really.

Perch - Put himself about as usual, got booked which didn't help.

Jonas - Graft but very little guile, less of a problem in CM.

Cabaye - Quiet really, kept battling away but he's got very little to work with.

HBA - Class first half, anonymous for a lot of the second. Was doubled up on for most of the game.

Shola - A mixed bag, great ball in for Ba (header put wide) and flicked on for the goal but he's not cut out for 4-3-3 on the wing, or most football matches really.

Ba - Took his goal well, must be sick of wrestling 2 centre backs.

Cisse - Some good closing down, have no idea how he scored as I was in the Leazes but there you go. His second touch seems to be a tackle a lot at the minute.

Obertan - This fucker has no brain. Actually got to the byline a few times but final ball was atrocious. Otherwise, couldn't pass 4 yards.

Sammy - Actually wanted the ball which was useful, few decent runs but very inexperienced. Doubt his shot would have gone in had it not hit Cisse

Fortunate to win but not complaining, I was impressed with WBA until Long came on and they just started playing the percentages. Long is annoying little twat.

right then, this has probably all been covered, I haven't looked but here goes.......

poor team set up to start with, ameobi wide right ? if he's going to play it has to be at the point, they knew from the off there was a huge gap in behind him.

first half was OK (i prefer ben arfa on the left)

the second half was as bad as we've played since being relegated,sloppy, lazy anf then the subs, WTF, has anyone got a clue what pardew was trying to accomplish ? starting with shola wide right, keeping jonas on, shifting the entire team round for no reason.....he's playing favourites!

perch MotM  for us.

right then, this has probably all been covered, I haven't looked but here goes.......

poor team set up to start with, ameobi wide right ? if he's going to play it has to be at the point, they knew from the off there was a huge gap in behind him.

the second half was as bad as we've played since being relegated,sloppy, lazy anf then the subs, WTF, has anyone got a clue what pardew was trying to accomplish ? starting with shola wide right, keeping jonas on, shifting the entire team round for no reason.....he's playing favourites!

perch MotM  for us.

I wrote similar above, but I don't think he is playing favorites I think he is just messing around with formations and has a vision that isn't working. Also I thought the formation we ended with should have been the one we started with.

perch MotM  for us.

I wrote similar above, but I don't think he is playing favorites I think he is just messing around with formations and has a vision that isn't working. Also I thought the formation we ended with should have been the one we started with.

if he's not playing faves why was ameobi wide right and why did jonas drop to full back ?

Didn't realise there was actually a man wide of Shola, that's why he was following back in. He just had no clue about the line.

Doesn't really explain why no doubt closed Gera down, at all.

Well I've no idea why the 1990s Californian alternative rock band were even on the pitch tbh.

perch MotM  for us.

if he's not playing faves why was ameobi wide right and why did jonas drop to full back ?

Jonas did well at LB and I thought him working with Gabby was one of the few bright spots of the last 15 minutes of the game.

Why was Shola on the RW? Good question, I am willing to accept that Pardew had some plan it just didn't work.