Liverpool 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Few thoughts from my (admittedly not exactly neutral perspective):

Thought bar the first 10 minutes, Liverpool were fairly s**** first half. You looked happy to contain them and of course the massive bonus came with the first real piece of quality from Cabaye and it's job done at half time.

You however did what we tend to do, and especially at Anfield; And that's drop deep, give them too much respect and just allow momentum to build up.

I thought there was also a very noticeable difference when Cabaye went off. IIRC it was just after they scored and what you needed was someone like him to keep the passing going but it just didn't happen, offering even more impetus to Liverpool. The goal was, begrudgingly, great play from Suarez but what I would be left thinking from that is the godawful pass (Anita?) just before which gave the ball back to them.

Wasn't a red, but equally not sure why Coloccini had his boot raised like that. Seemed daft, and not at all in line with 99% of his play.

Ben Arfa looked dangerous and I was impressed with Ameobi when he came on.

The impression I get is a few would have taken a point before the game but it really did remind me a lot of us. Get in front but instead of trying to build on it, sit back and allow them to come onto you. I really don't like this mentality of assuming because you have more players back it guarantees a better chance of not conceding. Quite often it'll work the other way because you're not necessarily as organised, players aren't sure who to be marking, and things become increasingly frantic and desperate. Moyes has a habit of doing it and I was reminded of us while watching the 2nd half.

Also, what a cheat Sterling is. Shame, as he looks a talent but he's been diving just as much as anyone. And for him not to get anything for his tackle and Coloccini to get sent off? Give me a break. Any semblance of refereeing consistency which remained is fast going out the window.

Top top post. I'm seething less now having read it. Always balanced, always knowledgable :thup:

Few thoughts from my (admittedly not exactly neutral perspective):

Thought bar the first 10 minutes, Liverpool were fairly shite first half. You looked happy to contain them and of course the massive bonus came with the first real piece of quality from Cabaye and it's job done at half time.

You however did what we tend to do, and especially at Anfield; And that's drop deep, give them too much respect and just allow momentum to build up.

I thought there was also a very noticeable difference when Cabaye went off. IIRC it was just after they scored and what you needed was someone like him to keep the passing going but it just didn't happen, offering even more impetus to Liverpool. The goal was, begrudgingly, great play from Suarez but what I would be left thinking from that is the godawful pass (Anita?) just before which gave the ball back to them.

Wasn't a red, but equally not sure why Coloccini had his boot raised like that. Seemed daft, and not at all in line with 99% of his play. A classic "gave the referee a decision to make" situation.

Ben Arfa looked dangerous and I was impressed with Ameobi when he came on.

The impression I get is a few would have taken a point before the game but it really did remind me a lot of us. Get in front but instead of trying to build on it, sit back and allow them to come onto you. I really don't like this mentality of assuming because you have more players back it guarantees a better chance of not conceding. Quite often it'll work the other way because you're not necessarily as organised, players aren't sure who to be marking, and things become increasingly frantic and desperate. Moyes has a habit of doing it and I was reminded of us while watching the 2nd half.

Also, what a cheat Sterling is. Shame, as he looks a talent but he's been diving just as much as anyone. And for him not to get anything for his tackle and Coloccini to get sent off? Give me a break. Any semblance of refereeing consistency which remained is fast going out the window.

Good post.

A job well done really, considering that we were down to ten men. Good game that was, well done from the guys especially when Collicini went off, pity really as I think if Suarez didn't get that goal, we would have beaten them I'm pretty sure we would have scored at least another goal.

Daft tackle from Colo, fair enough i didnt think it was red, but why make a studs up tackle esp in that area.

Had chances to win it, so did Lpool so happy with a point. Fucking frustrated with Jonas for their goal, just stupid.

Exactly the same as the mackem game - a horror tackle by the opposition is not punished and we end up with one of our players walking. Sterling could easily have broken Cisse's ankle. He's as vile a player as Suarez. Those horrible cunts play for the right club.

This. Absolutely fucking raging. I don't know if Coloccini's was a red card; it was reckless - intent questionable - contact minimal. A bit of a grey area but you're not surprised to see the red come out. But if you send Colo off, you've GOT to send Stirling off.

Fucking hate the linesmen in this country.

So pissed off. Fucking HATE HATE HATE this fucking horrible fixture and that fucking horrible club.

Once again no consistency from fucking terrible officials, need video replays desperately and get caught up in heat of the moment. Atkinson at Sunderland is the worst performance from a referee i've ever seen in any league even from playing sunday league football.

Guest bimpy474

How close to Suarez' leg does Colo actually get? Looking back on the replay it looks like the angle might make it look closer.

Dont matter how close or far, intent is enough to get a red.

Colo made one or two fundamental mistakes including the studs on suarez, but i think overall Colo had a decent game. 

HBA was bad! ball hogging little freak, watching him last few games you would think he was fresh off the boat from france and doesnt know that you simply do not get that much time on the ball in the Prem, pass the f***ing ball when players are in great position to receive it, be a team player HBA you w*****.  And his efforts to provide cover for Anita and simpson during the game was just diabolical.

Cabaye apart the goal was not great, i feel he is wasted when we play him that far up,  and Jonas, well he's not a midfielder and it showed, never fault him for effort but he lacks composure on the ball.

overall the performance was ok in terms of effort, we did well from the majority of the players.

Colo gone for 3 matches, thats really bad for us.

Colo made one or two fundamental mistakes including the studs on suarez, but i think overall Colo had a decent game. 

HBA was bad! ball hogging little freak, watching him last few games you would think he was fresh off the boat from france and doesnt know that you simply do not get that much time on the ball in the Prem, pass the f***ing ball when players are in great position to receive it, be a team player HBA you w*****.  And his efforts to provide cover for Anita and simpson during the game was just diabolical.

Cabaye apart the goal was not great, i feel he is wasted when we play him that far up,  and Jonas, well he's not a midfielder and it showed, never fault him for effort but he lacks composure on the ball.

overall the performance was ok in terms of effort, we did well from the majority of the players.

Colo gone for 3 matches, thats really bad for us.

Disagree on Cabaye, while he'll be doing less work when he's further back we have no central link from midfield to the attack and our only threat is from Ben Arfa. He may have less time on the ball further up but he gives us needed creativity between other teams lines

How close to Suarez' leg does Colo actually get? Looking back on the replay it looks like the angle might make it look closer.

Dont matter how close or far, intent is enough to get a red.

Thinking that maybe Colo went to do him then thought better of it, not as if Suarez moved his leg out of the way or anything so i'd be dissapointed if Colo didn't clatter him if he meant to  :lol: Stupid to leave his foot that high.