Liverpool 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Like I said at full time, I'm quite content with this result, especially given the circumstances we were left in.

Again, we started very slowly and let Liverpool attack us from the off which was disconcerting but having said that, thought we coped and handled the early pressure well. Once we got into it, we certainly gave them a few problems to think about. In relation to our goal, it was good build up play imo which was capped off with a good finish from Cabaye - positive stuff. The possession game Liverpool played in the first half counted for nothing as they couldn't really finish any of their moves off - reminded me of the Swansea game at the Liberty last season.

The second half was so-so like, we were a bit too deep for my liking and that allowed the Scousers to get back into it - it certainly invited them to come at us. It was almost inevitable that they were going to score really. Our urgency did come back when it was 1-1 imo and I honestly think that we did have enough about ourselves to nick it (that is, if we had 11 men on the field). To my mind, Colo's red card basically meant we had to preserve the point in whatever way we could - a change in mentality if you will.

All in all, it's a good point at what is a traditionally notorious ground for us so like I've said, I'm content and satisfied with that. Would have certainly taken a point before the game.

I've not read through the full thread but did anyone else notice Sterling kicking at at Simpson in the second half?

It was one of those nothing tackles, he went down to ground very easily to gain the freekick but then kicked out at Simpson afterwards.

I bet absolutely nothing comes of it.

My views on a few of the talking points ...

The big one, Colo's sending off. Whether he made contact or not it was a crazy rush of blood from our level headed captain and something he should be ashamed of. Saying that, I have a feeling that Suarez's comments to him one or two minutes beforehand had something to do with it (the camera zoomed in on Suarez after, I think, an offside decision or foul on Colo and you can clearly see him mouthing off to Colo despite being a metre away from the ref). Colo was flat for most of the game and frustration got the better of him.

Suarez. Took the goal well but what a dick! He made a meal of everything and tried to drag other players down with him. Everything about him wound me up - the constant complaining, going down softly, faking injuries, his teeth, acting the 'innocent guy', demanding decisions etc. A couple of minutes after the sending off, in pretty much exactly the same position, Saylor cleverly won the ball and Suarez tried to drag him down to the floor whilst throwing himself down demanding a free kick. He'll be remembered and congratulated for the goal but that was only a small percentage of his game.

Sterling, how he didn't get booked is beyond me. After his challenge, the ref was walking across ready to book him until 'Stevie G' stormed across and somehow changed his mind. As for his kicking out on Simpson, did Sky even mention it? We should make an example of it because imo there was no real difference between that and Colo's. A couple of their other players, I think the two who got subbed and "I have to hold onto every player because I'm too slow" Allen, did well to get away without bookings. The amount of times we got out of tight corners whilst being held and thrown about but not gaining free kicks was ridiculous. I could also complain about the placement of free kicks in relation to the foul...

Our inability to string together simple passes in the middle of the park really punished us. Too many times the first touch was awful thus making the pass rushed and generally quite poor. When we got the passing right, we held onto the ball very well and made some great progress. Training this week should simply be 'keep ball' in an increasingly small area. Keeping in mind we'd had a week off, why were we being caught flat footed and off the pace?

Generally though, we were unlucky with our injuries and despite leading, the point was a good one. Cisse looked a lot sharper, Sammy's running was brilliant, Gerrard didn't get the '600th game' goal he was obviously craving, we weathered a lot of pressure for long periods and it only took a 'goal of the season' (hahaha) to break us, we had good chances to take a second lead, their fans got a comical soaking, Cabaye's finish was quality...

Still amazed at how dirty Liverpool's first 11 are. Always nipping, tripping or grabbing us and they seem to get away with it a lot. They should have picked up more yellows which would have balanced it out.

I've not read through the full thread but did anyone else notice Sterling kicking at at Simpson in the second half?

It was one of those nothing tackles, he went down to ground very easily to gain the freekick but then kicked out at Simpson afterwards.

Of course nothing will come of it.  It's Liverpool.

Of course nothing will come of it.  It's Liverpool.

It wasn't too different to the one that Cabaye was retrospectively banned for.

Cisse was turbo-shit out wide. If we're going to play him, it has to be down the middle, with support.

Sammy made another good impression. We don't have any better alternatives, so regardless of his inexperience, he should start.

We should have had a penalty when Sammy was brought down, but we can't complain about the sending-off. Colo couldn't handle Suarez all game and frustration got the better of him.

Pleased with the point though.

Cisse was turbo-shit out wide. If we're going to play him, it has to be down the middle, with support.

Sammy made another good impression. We don't have any better alternatives, so regardless of his inexperience, he should start.

We should have had a penalty when Sammy was brought down, but we can't complain about the sending-off. Colo couldn't handle Suarez all game and frustration got the better of him.

We shouldnt. He stood on the ball.....................

We shouldnt. He stood on the ball.....................

It looked to me like the defender had caught him first and he lost his balance.

I watched it without sound.

It helped.

Unless it's non-english commentary, I watch all our games like this.

Despite all their fans' moaning, Liverpool , along with Man Utd, are still the club with the most sympathisers in the media.

I still remember John Murray practically praying for Liverpool to score during last year's FA Cup final, and his audible depression at the end.

Skrtel definitely got a nick on the ball too. Sammy did well a couple of times to get into that area but two or three times he should have delivered it instead of trying to beat the man again.

Contact with the ball doesn't mean it wasn't a foul.

Skrtel definitely got a nick on the ball too. Sammy did well a couple of times to get into that area but two or three times he should have delivered it instead of trying to beat the man again.

I never said it did but it was clearly a perfectly fair challenge.

That's the crucial issue. He just nicked the ball but caught Sammy on the follow through. That's what caused Sammy to lose balance and tread on the ball. Otherwise he'd have kept possession, and usually refs call that a foul.

Either way, we can't blame Sammy.

That's the crucial issue. He just nicked the ball but caught Sammy on the follow through. That's what caused Sammy to lose balance and tread on the ball. Otherwise he'd have kept possession, and usually refs call that a foul.

Either way, we can't blame Sammy.

Exactly how I saw it.  Would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Once Sammy realises he's playing in the Premier League and not the school yard he's going to be a very good player.

Has it always been 3 game ban for red cards?  I thought it used to be 1 and then 3 if it's violent conduct like smacking someone in the face?

3 premier league games is a big deal for a mistimed tackle. Particularly in Tiote's case as he was a split second from getting the ball and in Coloccini's he didn't actually touch Suarez despite the alleged "intent". Just feel 3 games in harsh.

Has it always been 3 game ban for red cards?  I thought it used to be 1 and then 3 if it's violent conduct like smacking someone in the face?

3 premier league games is a big deal for a mistimed tackle. Particularly in Tiote's case as he was a split second from getting the ball and in Coloccini's he didn't actually touch Suarez despite the alleged "intent". Just feel 3 games in harsh.

Aye, 3 for violent conduct (smacking someone) and serious foul play (bad tackle), 1 for preventing a goalscoring opportunity.