Liverpool 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Seriously, anyone else think the Suarez goal was nothing special? ???

Hoof up front and not much by way of defending, but the way he brought it down was sensational.

Didn't think it was as good as the commentators were saying for sure. Shocking defending as much as skill. Great skill, no doubt but there are plenty of other players on the pitch I would have expected the same from.

Krul-7

Simpson-7

Saylor-9

Colo- 4

Santon-6

Ben arfa- 5

Jonas- 6 (much better when we were hanging on)

anita- 6

cisse- 5

Cabaye-6

Ba- 6

Sammy- 7

Fergie- 6

Really solid half - and I would have said that had Cabaye not shown the poise of Gene Kelly there.

Pardew deserves lots of credit for the way we've been organised. If I'm nitpicking, we were outfought for the first ten minutes or so - but the Anfield atmosphere and the impressive Liverpool start played no small part in that.

After that I thought we really grew into the game. Jonas has improved as the half went on, which is good. Glad Perch is off in a way. Anita has been tidy without being spectacular - which is what we need.

Demba Ba's marking on defending corners has improved massively. Lots of credit due there.

Papiss' first touch has been abysmal btw. If that was Shola, he'd be catching hell atm.

Expanding from my half-time comments:

Great result if we look back to how we've been playing lately, how they usually play against us and how we usually play against them.

With a bit more care we could have got the win, and I'm sure Jonas will be sufficiently flagellated by other posters. In truth, any one of our players could have given the ball away in a drab period of the game where we (all too familiarly) seemed to hand the initiative to Liverpool to have a go.

Jonas does look a poorer player though lately, don't get me wrong. His apoplectic decision-making is the most concerning aspect to his game. He just refuses to release it, or have the confidence for once to look up and away from the ball to see what's around him. He just crouches over it, and waits to defend it from a tangle of legs. Concerning.

Santon had another crowded-out-running-along-the-edge-of-the-penalty-box moment. I really don't want that to become his thing. He's got the potential for so much better than that. I think he's waiting for a savannah to open up for him and some landing strip lights sometimes... just have a crack and drill it when you get a yard or two, Davide! Who knows, you may inherit the Deflection God's blessing from Pires and Lampard.

Not to dwell on that, though - it was a positive display for me. Sameobi the brightest spark of our bright sparks. [Great character too!]

I'm fine with the red card too. I'm very much okay with Colo being sent off for that (though I will protest until I'm blue in the face there was no malice in it). Raheem definitely should have been red-carded for his challenge on Cisse though. He was actually a more irritating cunt than Suarez with his diving and general hotheadedness. Even kicked out at Simpson on the touchline. He's 13 years old and a young England prospect so apparently immune from being sent off though. Should have gone against Everton too.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully. Good point, stifled Liverpool's ascent - and some nice fixtures I'm hopeful we can take full advantage of - though I said that before the home fixture against Villa.

Guest bimpy474

Krul-7

Simpson-7

Saylor-9

Colo- 4

Santon-6

Ben arfa- 5

Jonas- 6 (much better when we were hanging on)

anita- 6

cisse- 5

Cabaye-6

Ba- 6

Sammy- 7

Fergie- 6

You can fuck off with the 7 for Simpson, just go back and watch the game, you see how many times he got fucking lucky......he was shit.

I'd have took the draw before the game so all things considered, its a very good result. However Krul should have commanded his box better for their goal and Colo's red was shocking, wish he'd got the cunt.

Krul - 8 possibly made mistake for their goal but thought all in all was very good from the racist c***, he was mostly fine.

Simpson - 6 didn't offer much but no disasters either

Colo - 4 Suarez had his number all game and the red card has done serious damage to our season if we lose next 3 games

Saylor - 8 made some very important blocks

Santon - 6 made some good runs but not his best game this season

Anita - 7 thought best game for us so far but didn't offer much going forward

Cabaye - 8 had a fine game once we got the ball back in his more advanced position, subbed off too soon imo.

Jonas - 4 desperate to get rid of the ball whenever he got it

Ben Arfa - 6 looks tired, made the goal but gave ball away when normally he never would

Ba - 6 Missed his ability to hold up the ball when he left

Cisse - 3 had one chance and fluffed it

Pardew - 3 Tried to defend a 1-0 lead was asking for it, and made poor subs, tried to go all counter attacking, fine, but we had no ability to hold up the ball especially when Cabaye left, imo Shola should have come on for Ba just for that, and either Ben Arfa or Cisse should have come off for Sammy, not Cabaye.

MOTM Saylor imo

Exactly the same as the mackem game - a horror tackle by the opposition is not punished and we end up with one of our players walking. Sterling could easily have broken Cisse's ankle. He's as vile a player as Suarez. Those horrible cunts play for the right club.

This. Absolutely fucking raging. I don't know if Coloccini's was a red card; it was reckless - intent questionable - contact minimal. A bit of a grey area but you're not surprised to see the red come out. But if you send Colo off, you've GOT to send Stirling off.

Fucking hate the linesmen in this country.

So pissed off. Fucking HATE HATE HATE this fucking horrible fixture and that fucking horrible club.

Few thoughts from my (admittedly not exactly neutral perspective):

Thought bar the first 10 minutes, Liverpool were fairly shite first half. You looked happy to contain them and of course the massive bonus came with the first real piece of quality from Cabaye and it's job done at half time.

You however did what we tend to do, and especially at Anfield; And that's drop deep, give them too much respect and just allow momentum to build up.

I thought there was also a very noticeable difference when Cabaye went off. IIRC it was just after they scored and what you needed was someone like him to keep the passing going but it just didn't happen, offering even more impetus to Liverpool. The goal was, begrudgingly, great play from Suarez but what I would be left thinking from that is the godawful pass (Anita?) just before which gave the ball back to them.

Wasn't a red, but equally not sure why Coloccini had his boot raised like that. Seemed daft, and not at all in line with 99% of his play. A classic "gave the referee a decision to make" situation.

Ben Arfa looked dangerous and I was impressed with Ameobi when he came on.

The impression I get is a few would have taken a point before the game but it really did remind me a lot of us. Get in front but instead of trying to build on it, sit back and allow them to come onto you. I really don't like this mentality of assuming because you have more players back it guarantees a better chance of not conceding. Quite often it'll work the other way because you're not necessarily as organised, players aren't sure who to be marking, and things become increasingly frantic and desperate. Moyes has a habit of doing it and I was reminded of us while watching the 2nd half.

Also, what a cheat Sterling is. Shame, as he looks a talent but he's been diving just as much as anyone. And for him not to get anything for his tackle and Coloccini to get sent off? Give me a break. Any semblance of refereeing consistency which remained is fast going out the window.

To be fair, that Suarez first touch was fantastic.

it was aye, but also it's not as 'sublime' a goal as these keep saying.

colo's challenge was a sure red, no doubt.....but 'cowards challange'....i'm turning these cunts off

Didn't think we played that badly, Colo had a shocker mind even before the red card. Cisse is coming in for some unfair stick imo he was just bombarded with long balls quite a few of which he managed to bring down or head to a team-mate. Santon was once again solid but MOTM was Saylor by a country mile he did everything right today so long may that continue. Anita was decent and just needs a run at CM for him to firmly get to grasp with the pace. All things considered a decent point for me.