Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 10/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 57

Dave

I know its yet another defeat BUT I seen enough last night not to be worried, we put together some great attacking play but had no luck. We miss Cabaye so much, he was always the simple ball for Tiote then Yo would make the accurate door opening pass, without him Tiote is trying to be that player and not what he is about.

I am predicting a superb 2nd half to the season with a 8th place finish

Thought we were unlucky today not to at least get a point.

what???

thought we were lucky to only concede 2.

Hitting the bar, hitting the crossbar, getting a header cleared off the line.. controlling the game almost completely the whole 2nd half - conceding  a goal against the run of play. We were unlucky.

Is right. We played a lot better last night then we have in games gone by. Not to brush any bad performance under the rug but Fulham defended really well

This is the response I was expecting from most fans, and I think it was the feeling at the ground too. Not a performance to get angry about at all.

Think the anger comes from the fact that even when the team are on their mettle they still don't know how to create chances or keep the ball in a meaningful way. The players have the tools but the style and tactics are blunting them.

Defensive errors are gonna happen in every game to most sides but they dictate results and happen more often when the side isn't playing a cohesive game (the basics are wrong).

As a unit in the PL you can't play two out and out forwards even if one is pretending to play on the wing (and can't even play there cause he is only really a goal machine).

The anger comes from the fact that this has been going on for months now.

Guest neesy111

When was the last time we actually looked a unit as well from a defensive point of view, that was one of our key things to our success last season?

I thought the second half was arguably our best of the season.  Yet we still didn't look like we knew how to create a chance.  Most of our shots were scuffs from outside the area.  Our best attacker was Colo and our most creative player was Danny Simpson and his shit crosses. 

It's worrying as fuck.

Guest neesy111

I thought the second half was arguably our best of the season.  Yet we still didn't look like we knew how to create a chance.  Most of our shots were scuffs from outside the area.  Our best attacker was Colo and our most creative player was Danny Simpson and his shit crosses. 

It's worrying as fuck.

Yeap, only 2 shots on target from us come from in the box.  2 others were blocked as well.  Everything else was outside the area.

It's worrying as fuck.

Too much long ball with forwards that don't really like it. :lol:

We had the ball in midfield more, that was good, but we rarely penetrated and our crossing was poor. Conversely, they got through us quite a few times and were a little unlucky not to score more. If the game would've been a draw, Pardew would have been delighted and Jol would've been disappointed.

Our substitutions actually had a touch of ther Souness about them.

I understand Pardew a bit more now.

That's it. They were wide open down that side during nearly every attack. An actual football player would have seen that and looked to get in behind them. It was just the same ball in, over and over. They were quite happy to give him all the time in the world, presumably to give Hangeland a bit of practice after coming back from injury.

To be fair to Simpson, even the good ones he put in led to nothing due to our abysmal movement.

Anger is more than justified when it's part of this away form. You could easily look at every single game in isolation in a season and say "did ok today, just didn't get the luck", "played really well, cannot believe we didn't win that", "disappointing but didn't expect much there"... "oh look we've gone down with twelve points"

This is what it'll be like for the next three weeks as well. "Did you expect to hammer Man City/Man United/Arsenal/Everton like?! We did ok, stop complaining!" as we slip closer to the bottom three. Games like Fulham away are ones we now have to win because of the monumental fuck up that we've made of the season.

That's it. They were wide open down that side during nearly every attack. An actual football player would have seen that and looked to get in behind them. It was just the same ball in, over and over. They were quite happy to give him all the time in the world, presumably to give Hangeland a bit of practice after coming back from injury.

To be fair to Simpson, even the good ones he put in led to nothing due to our abysmal movement.

It's a bit more than that imo. We never hit a cross at full sprint. We never cross the ball, either in the air or along the deck (between the goalie and the penalty spot) with our players moving forward at pace. If we did we'd have the oppo defenders facing their goal, trying to track our runs and we'd be creating some indecsion in their backline. That's exactly the situation in which players like Cisse will thrive. Instead we stop or slow down, our forwards have to check and their defenders get to turn and face us and then just pick our crosses off.

It's a bit more than that imo. We never hit a cross at full sprint. We never cross the ball, either in the air or along the deck (between the goalie and the penalty spot) with our players moving forward at pace. If we did we'd have the oppo defenders facing their goal, trying to track our runs and we'd be creating some indecsion in their backline. That's exactly the situation in which players like Cisse will thrive. Instead we stop or slow down, our forwards have to check and their defenders get to turn and face us and then just pick our crosses off.

Spot on.

Ironically it was Cisse who put in our most dangerous cross when he played it early to Ba after Schwarzer had fluffed his clearance. That's the difference between a real footballer and Danny Simpson. Schwarzer made the catch at the time, but it was crossed early, at pace, and into a dangerous area. 5 or 6 of these a game, and our strikers should fill their boots.

Anger is more than justified when it's part of this away form. You could easily look at every single game in isolation in a season and say "did ok today, just didn't get the luck", "played really well, cannot believe we didn't win that", "disappointing but didn't expect much there"... "oh look we've gone down with twelve points"

This is what it'll be like for the next three weeks as well. "Did you expect to hammer Man City/Man United/Arsenal/Everton like?! We did ok, stop complaining!" as we slip closer to the bottom three. Games like Fulham away are ones we now have to win because of the monumental fuck up that we've made of the season.

Fair enough I suppose, but I don't see the merit in writing off those arguments unless you have specific reasons for it. If you don't address them individually then all you're saying is 'results are all that matter'. Obviously if that's your belief then there's very little debate to be had.

Results generally aren't all that matter but then I never expected to be looking at a relegation fight.

I find that very surprising from you anyway Ian given the way you dismissed awful performances last season with a simple retort that we were 5th and that was all that mattered. This has been coming but many people preferred to put their head in the sand.

Results generally aren't all that matter but then I never expected to be looking at a relegation fight.

I find that very surprising from you anyway Ian given the way you dismissed awful performances last season with a simple retort that we were 5th and that was all that mattered. This has been coming but many people preferred to put their head in the sand.

Fair enough, I genuinely don't remember excusing bad performances last season. You say this has been coming, but I don't think anyone predicted it at the start of the season. We didn't expect to be 5th, but we didn't expect to be 15th either.

All I'm trying to say is that we've been better in the last few league games, and we were unlucky not to get anything last night.

Our performance was 'patchy' to say the least, last night. Another slow start that got punished and whilst the tempo did pick up - more often than not, the passing and first touch were not good enough. Much work ahead, and save QPR the weekend after next, it's hard to see where the next point could come from before January. :(

Will say it again - paying the price for Ashley's gamble not to invest in the summer.

You might not have expected to be 5th Ian, personally I considered it the absolute bare minimum requirement. Investment would have helped but then plenty people were of the opinion that it was better to wait until January and try and get a bargain!

Spot on.

Ironically it was Cisse who put in our most dangerous cross when he played it early to Ba after Schwarzer had fluffed his clearance. That's the difference between a real footballer and Danny Simpson. Schwarzer made the catch at the time, but it was crossed early, at pace, and into a dangerous area. 5 or 6 of these a game, and our strikers should fill their boots.

Both posts. :thup:

You might not have expected to be 5th Ian, personally I considered it the absolute bare minimum requirement. Investment would have helped but then plenty people were of the opinion that it was better to wait until January and try and get a bargain!

I think 5th being the minimum requirement again this season is absolutely crazy. But I guess we've already done this debate to death.