Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 10/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 57

Dave

I'm surprised by the positions of the crosses on that graphic. It seemed to me that Simpson was hitting many from deeper positions. With a crowded box, that makes them the hoof of the cross world.

Some positive signs today, especially compared to the Southampton debacle, but Fulham are poor and the game was there to be won. We conceded the second far too easily.

No-one's mentioned it but fantastic save by Krul when Berb was clean through on about twenty minutes otherwise it would have been game over there and then.

Seems like people who were there saw something different to on tv. Everyone there seemed to think we were unlucky/done by isolated mistake. I'm not an apologist, we've played proper shit recently just don't see how tonight can be seen like that.

:thup:

I really think tonight's result was much more down to certain players letting the team down than Pardew's tactics. Tiote was absolutely awful, Cisse and Ba looked thick as mince and ball watch when we're in possession. We knocked it about well but were let down partly by poor decision making and partly an absence of luck. Pardew must take blame for 3 shite subs though, timing and personnel was all wrong.

Seems like people who were there saw something different to on tv. Everyone there seemed to think we were unlucky/done by isolated mistake. I'm not an apologist, we've played proper shit recently just don't see how tonight can be seen like that.

:thup:

I really think tonight's result was much more down to certain players letting the team down than Pardew's tactics. Tiote was absolutely awful, Cisse and Ba looked thick as mince and ball watch when we're in possession. We knocked it about well but were let down partly by poor decision making and partly an absence of luck. Pardew must take blame for 3 shite subs though, timing and personnel was all wrong.

I agree 100% with this. Style of play was much more positive. Individual performances were disgusting.

What ? We tried to play good football ?

1st half was awful, nothing positive. It should have been 3-0 for them

Then yeah 2nd half was better but it was because they were leading 2-1, they stayed behind so we had more spaces to attack. When it was 0-0 or 1-1 we were sh*t. It was poor, it was all about long balls/Simpson crossing with no accuracy, nothing built. Maybe we had 20min of good mouvement, I need to watch the game a 2nd time.

IMO, the problem isn't the formation but the philosophy.

You can play 4-4-2 and play some good football going forward like Paris-Saint-Germain or Bordeaux like they did againt us in the Europa (they put a reserve team too so no excuses).

Of course when you're playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it helps.

But you can put every formation you want, if you're playing long balls you won't go far. Top teams are playing short direct passes. We have the players to do it.

Even when we're playing 4-3-3, AP puts Cissé or Shola on a wing and we still put long balls to Shola/Ba/Cissé.

An another thing it's the subtitutes he makes : why Shola intead of Marveaux ? Why Anita off, he was one of our best player. And it's not the first time that we've seen him making shocking susbtitutions.

Last thing is when he talks sh*t in the press, exemple when he was saying that we played 4-3-3 whereas everbody saw that it was 4-4-2 (against Southampton). When he finds excuses (Europa League, Senegal blocking Cissé...)

That's why I think we should sack him, the improvement aren't good enough. We are all wondering what is he doing in training. For me this guy belongs to the championship.

If we want to keep our best player we should get a manager with an attaking philosophy before that it's too late.

Just my POV.

(Sorry for my english I'm french).

Edit : + the set-pieces awful.

What ? We tried to play good football ?

1st half was awful, nothing positive. It should have been 3-0 for them

Then yeah 2nd half was better but it was because they were leading 2-1, they stayed behind so we had more spaces to attack. When it was 0-0 or 1-1 we were sh*t. It was poor, it was all about long balls/Simpson crossing with no accuracy, nothing built. Maybe we had 20min of good mouvement, I need to watch the game a 2nd time.

IMO, the problem isn't the formation but the philosophy.

You can play 4-4-2 and play some good football going forward like Paris-Saint-Germain or Bordeaux like they did againt us in the Europa (they put a reserve team too so no excuses).Of course when you're playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it helps.

But you can put every formation you want, if you're playing long balls you won't go far. Top teams are playing short direct passes. We have the players to do it.

Even when we're playing 4-3-3, AP puts Cissé or Shola on a wing and we still put long balls to Shola/Ba/Cissé.

An another thing it's the subtitutes he makes : why Shola intead of Marveaux ? Why Anita off, he was one of our best player. And it's not the first time that we've seen him making shocking susbtitutions.

Last thing is when he talks sh*t in the press, exemple when he was saying that we played 4-3-3 whereas everbody saw that it was 4-4-2 (against Southampton). When he finds excuses (Europa League, Senegal blocking Cissé...)

That's why I think we should sack him, the improvement aren't good enough. We are all wondering what is he doing in training. For me this guy belongs to the championship.

If we want to keep our best player we should get a manager with an attaking philosophy before that it's too late.

Just my POV.

(Sorry for my english I'm french).

Edit : + the set-pieces awful.

With respect to the piece placed in bold. Playing a reserve team (ie. in Europe, while stars rest) shouldn't be an excuse for trotting out anti-football.

They might not have the usual cutting edge (particularly in front of goal) but the football Arsenal/ManUtd/Barca etc play when blooding the youngsters shows there is a cohesive football philosophy in place. From the scouting team, the Academy level, and to the first team manager they're all in sync.

I don't trust Pardew when it comes to the task of developing the technique-oriented youngsters Carver is scouting. I have the same feeling when it comes to our two most promising defensive prospects ie. Tavanier, and *Streete (*when he does get his hands on him).

The amount of possession gifted by punting balls forward is really fucking me off now. Depresses me that when the glimmer of pass and move play is present and Ben Arfa is looking ok that Pardew takes him off and resorts to garbage last ditch bollocks. Subs are ill-conceived and too late. It was better and I think we were unlucky for the sidwell goal but christ has it been dire this season.

They seemed happy to leave the right hand side of the pitch wide open for Simpson.  He's so ineffective going forward and we wasted so much of the ball down that side. 

The 4-3-3 was terrible and was set up all wrong, we struggle to create any genuine chances and the subs were baffling.

I thought Fulham were pretty poor, but we made Duff look like Lionel Messi FFS and they could have scored a lot more.

One thing to say is that we played much better than the Southampton, stoke games but the are still big big problems.

1) wrong substitutions at wrong times.

2) playing Cisse on the wing rather than centrally.

3) players who shouldn't be near the first team like Tiote, Williamson, Jonas. Of course due to the lack of investment made in the summer we are stuck with them.

Guest Geordiesned

Already getting shit at work. Fuck me, wish these useless cunts could pick up a win so I don't have to put up with this. :lol:

Who do your work colleagues support?

Already getting shit at work. Fuck me, wish these useless cunts could pick up a win so I don't have to put up with this. :lol:

Fulham

Arsenal x2

Everton

Chelsea

West Ham

Working with a scouser in London?

Fulham

Arsenal x2

Everton

Chelsea

West Ham

Nah he's not actually a scouser, he has some boring story about why he supports Everton, but yeah, he's as southern as I am :lol:

Guest neesy111

Fulham

Arsenal x2

Everton

Chelsea

West Ham

Surprised there isn't a Man Utd or Liverpool fan.

Guest icemanblue

A lot of positives to be taken from that game, for me. We're starting to play football again, suprisingly, as we get our better players back. It's not going to happen overnight, and this month is going to be very trying. However, I think, on this evidence (and with replacements for Simpson and Williamson), we'll get there. It's not going to be a particularly memorable season, but I do still think we'll still finish in the top half.

Our better players also let us down last night, like. Sloppy play from Colo and Tiote, needs to be cut out immediately, both trying to do too much. Anita looks a proper player, and he'll only get better.

Guest icemanblue

That's it. They were wide open down that side during nearly every attack. An actual football player would have seen that and looked to get in behind them. It was just the same ball in, over and over. They were quite happy to give him all the time in the world, presumably to give Hangeland a bit of practice after coming back from injury.

Fulham

Arsenal x2

Everton

Chelsea

West Ham

Surprised there isn't a Man Utd or Liverpool fan.

Yeah, those cunts are everywhere.

Thought we were unlucky today not to at least get a point.

what???

thought we were lucky to only concede 2.

Hitting the bar, hitting the crossbar, getting a header cleared off the line.. controlling the game almost completely the whole 2nd half - conceding  a goal against the run of play. We were unlucky.

Is right. We played a lot better last night then we have in games gone by. Not to brush any bad performance under the rug but Fulham defended really well

Thought we were unlucky today not to at least get a point.

what???

thought we were lucky to only concede 2.

Hitting the bar, hitting the crossbar, getting a header cleared off the line.. controlling the game almost completely the whole 2nd half - conceding  a goal against the run of play. We were unlucky.

Is right. We played a lot better last night then we have in games gone by. Not to brush any bad performance under the rug but Fulham defended really well

This is the response I was expecting from most fans, and I think it was the feeling at the ground too. Not a performance to get angry about at all.