Worst Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ItalianMagpie

At least Owen scored 30 in 65 starts.

I'm always amazed when I see this :lol:

How on earth did he score so much for us? He was injured most of the time, and when he played couldn't score with an empty goal  :neutral:

Hard to make my mind up on this.

The fact that we could have gotten Boumsong for free from Auxerre only 6 months(?) prior to signing him for £8m from Rangers takes him high up my list.

The fact that the Deportivo owner went into discussions about Luque hoping to get ~£6m for him before Shepherd immediately blasted his bid of ~£9.5m takes him pretty high up my list. However, Luque was class at Deportivo, and showed some real promise against Man Utd in his first game before he got that bad injury in his second (?) game which makes me think it was more an unlucky transfer than a bad one.

But, still, Owen, Nacho and Xisco transfers were worse. Owen again played well until he got all the injuries, and as such, even with the ridiculous high fee and wages involved, he could have achieved more here, and we could have benefitted from his talent if we had been more fortunate with injuries.

Has to be a tie between Nacho and Xisco for me.

Hard to make my mind up on this.

The fact that we could have gotten Boumsong for free from Auxerre only 6 months(?) prior to signing him for £8m from Rangers takes him high up my list.

The fact that the Deportivo owner went into discussions about Luque hoping to get ~£6m for him before Shepherd immediately blasted his bid of ~£9.5m takes him pretty high up my list. However, Luque was class at Deportivo, and showed some real promise against Man Utd in his first game before he got that bad injury in his second (?) game which makes me think it was more an unlucky transfer than a bad one.

But, still, Owen, Nacho and Xisco transfers were worse. Owen again played well until he got all the injuries, and as such, even with the ridiculous high fee and wages involved, he could have achieved more here, and we could have benefitted from his talent if we had been more fortunate with injuries.

Has to be a tie between Nacho and Xisco for me.

xisco cost a hefty fee and 5 yrs worth of massive wages, can't be a tie.

Am i the only one who thinks Barton being there is a bit harsh?

No, he was nowhere near as bad as the worst.

Can't believe more people don't agree with me on Duff btw. We're still paying for his uselessness today as he loves playing against us ffs.

Srnicek

Carr Boumsong Campbell Babayaro

Geremi  Faye  Duff

Xisco  Owen    Luque

Some class signings right there over the past decade. Imagine that wage bill :yao:

well hopefull days of sign such crap for big fees are over. it is a hard one but if i had to choose one it has to be Boumsong, big fee no doubt big wages and totalyl 100% crap at everything on a football field.

Srnicek

Carr Boumsong Campbell Babayaro

Geremi  Faye  Duff

Xisco  Owen    Luque

Some class signings right there over the past decade. Imagine that wage bill :yao:

well hopefull days of sign such crap for big fees are over. it is a hard one but if i had to choose one it has to be Boumsong, big fee no doubt big wages and totalyl 100% crap at everything on a football field.

Harsh having Pavel in there like.

Owen could well be the twatest signing ever. But he's not the worst. 

I think worst incorporates a number of things. Owen had a negative impact on all levels of the club especially our finances.

This is the key factor. The other candidates didn't contribute very much. Owen actually had a negative effect.

Apart from the huge amount of money wasted that could have been spent elsewhere, managers were afraid to drop him because of his reputation. If his name had been Jack Smith he wouldn't have played in half the games that he did. Injuries had rendered him an ordinary player.

Owen actually had at least one positive impact in him actually.... and that's his goals. I don't know how anybody could deny that.

A big twat and a wanker? Yes, absolutely. But I'm not going let our hatred of him blind my judgement here.

I don't hate the guy. I just think it was a terrible signing. Far too much money for a player who was past his best, and who made it clear beforehand that he only wanted to come here on loan. The ones I blame are those who made the transfer happen.

Guest Wally_McFool

I voted for Duff. I despise the cunt.

Came to Newcastle and sat on his arse injured most of the time, goes to Fulham and hardly misses a game.

Money grabbing, lazy cunt he is.

No way is Campbell the worst signing. Yeah he didn't do a lot but it's not like he rinsed us for 4 years and pissed off with a gay as shit brochure to try and make him look good like that little cunt Owen.

Can't really believe Barton is even on the list in all honesty. Pretty loyal servant who was part of the three pronged attack that got us up and kept us up.

Also forgot about Owen but only because I've actively tried to induce Amnesia in myself about his whole time here, change my vote to him if possible please

Can't really believe Barton is even on the list in all honesty. Pretty loyal servant who was part of the three pronged attack that got us up and kept us up.

Also forgot about Owen but only because I've actively tried to induce Amnesia in myself about his whole time here, change my vote to him if possible please

How was he loyal? He didn't play much of a part in our promotion, I would say he was only of use to us for about a quarter of his contract. He probably doesn't belong in our hall of fame of bad signings, but that's just because we've had some fucking bad signings.

How was he loyal? He didn't play much of a part in our promotion, I would say he was only of use to us for about a quarter of his contract. He probably doesn't belong in our hall of fame of bad signings, but that's just because we've had some f***ing bad signings.

I diagree that he didn't play a large part in our promotion, again it was him Nolan and Carroll for me who put us up with their attack, plus he quite obviously loves the NUFC fans, that's no secret.  A better than average signing in my opinion but I'm aware and accepting of the fact that many folks don't like him and with justification in all honesty

Guest firetotheworks

Err....Barton was injured for almost all of the promotion season, mate. He barely had time to make an impact, let alone actually make one.

Guest firetotheworks

He was good in the year after promotion on the right wing. The combo of him, Carroll and Nolan worked a treat a fair amount of the time.

He's absolutely no where near the worst player we've signed in the last decade for the money we signed him for, but you could make the argument about his off field actions giving the club a bad name, if you could be arsed.

Personally I loved Barton during "The Nolan Age" but it predictably ended in tatters.