Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Fellaini was superb tonight, but that is tempered by the fact that he's a cheating, diving bastard.

Glad to see that I'm not the only ones with concern about our shape. Something is obviously not working in training and hasn't for a long time. More than 2 years since we last came from behind to win a PL game - 15 months since we last scored from a corner. And for a team that is supposed to spend a large part of training concentrating on nullifying the opposition, we are a bag of shite defensively.

It's a relegation fight now and like 4 years ago, I see little heart or desire to try and get out of it. If Debuccy has signed, I'd bet he's insisted on a relegation release clause!

Christ I didn't realise we had only lost 2 pre-Cabaye injury. He wasn't even playing well it seemed either but christ we have just collapsed since losing him (taylor and ben arfa to a lesser extent too)

People can say our midfield is functioning fine but people are overlooking what Cabaye does defensively. I'm sure there was a stat which said he made the most tackles in our team last year.

Christ I didn't realise we had only lost 2 pre-Cabaye injury. He wasn't even playing well it seemed either but christ we have just collapsed since losing him (taylor and ben arfa to a lesser extent too)

People can say our midfield is functioning fine but people are overlooking what Cabaye does defensively. I'm sure there was a stat which said he made the most tackles in our team last year.

Sure he was in the top 5 for tackles made in the whole PL last year.

If Cisse has been in the middle he'd have scored the chance central striker Shola put wide just before they made it 2-1. Taking Obertan off was a horrible decision too and sums that spineless chancer up perfectly.

Going down.

Our 5 wins:

Spuds 2-1 (First game of season)

Norwich 1-0

West Brom 2-1 (Cisse wonder goal)

Wigan 3-0 (Dubious pen and red after 13)

QPR 1-0 (Shola's once a season piece of magic)

Dear me.

Said it after the Wigan game that when we're ahead, we never really seem to really push on for another. Wigan is the only game we've won with more than a 1 goal advantage. Goal difference really could bite us on the arse at the end of the season. If we haven't made some progress both with signings and results by the end of January, Pards needs to go.

He was top.

We are playing two defensive midfielders in every game. The goals aren't coming through lack of cover in central midfield so we need to get away from this excuse.

I'm just back from the game, my first actually being inside the stadium and now I can't wait to go to Brazil as I won't have to be disappointed. As soon as the second goal went in you could see the players head drop and then the crowd began to turn on them.

We started brightly, there was a lot of passing and building up the play as opposed to Everton who spent the first half aiming balls towards Fellaini who would either flick it on or win a free kick. However we looked poor in the defense and lacked ideas going forward. If the ball went out wide whoever had the ball was left exposed and we had to pass the ball backwards. Not many of our players looked like the wanted the ball aside from Anita. One problem we had was that when Williamson was turned or lost out in the aerial battle we had Collocini caught between closing his man down or holding his position as they often had a runner. It was only when Bigi came on that we had one of our midfielders track back towards our own box to help cover the space.

The referee did give a lot of fouls against us, especially the one that Everton got the equalizer from, but I think a lot of the pressure on the referee was the crowds frustrations towards the team. I thought Sammy came on and did well when attacking players, but we don't have many options in reserve to deal with our injuries. Ultimately it is disappointing to watch the team capitulate like that and unless we can strengthen this month (hopefully some injured players return) then we will be in trouble.

He was top.

10. Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur) – 96 Tackles

9. Marouane Fellaini (Everton) – 99 Tackles

8. Alex Song (Arsenal) – 100 Tackles

7. Youssuf Mulumbu (West Bromwich Albion) – 101 Tackles

6. Patrice Evra (Manchester United) – 104 Tackles

5. Maynor Figueroa (Wigan Athletic) – 107 Tackles

4. Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur) – 107 Tackles

3. Joe Allen (Swansea City) – 110 Tackles

2. Moussa Dembélé (Fulham) – 113 Tackles

1. Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United) – 116 Tackles

http://www.barriesview.com/2012/05/premier-league-201112-most-frequent-tacklers

We are playing two defensive midfielders in every game. The goals aren't coming through lack of cover in central midfield so we need to get away from this excuse.

And they are doing nowhere near the job combined at protecting the back 4 than Cabaye did.....

It's not a coincidence we have collapsed since he got injured.

He was top.

Not to mention he was 2nd behind Mulumbu in interceptions for midfielders last season too....

Our 5 wins:

Norwich 1-0

Dear me.

I still don't know how we got away with beating West Brom.

He was top.

He's still shit and invisible though.

/moron

Bleurgh, another horrendous evening. Absolutely pathetic defending and what a very shit performance. Once again we did fuck all in the final third. Starting Shola from the off was probably the worst decision ever and to keep Cissé on the right wing for the whole game, man...speechless.

We can't do anything right. This month is going to be very crucial, I'd take mid-table right now.

Our 5 wins:

Norwich 1-0

Dear me.

I still don't know how we got away with beating West Brom.

Oh yeah, funniest thing I had seen for a while :lol:

At least we can't complain about our luck not evening out this season.

He was top.

He's still s*** and invisible though.

/moron

I know your being sarcastic but i thought id comment on the people that say that..... what he does is a lot more effective that Tiote running round like a headless chicken smashing into people and leaving large areas of space for the opposition to run into.

I bet right now that our performances magically improve when he comes back and failing that the results will.

Guest Wally_McFool

And they are doing nowhere near the job combined at protecting the back 4 than Cabaye did.....

It's not a coincidence we have collapsed since he got injured.

Agree totally, that said, a lot of people on here dont like Jonas and whilst I would agree that he has been disappointing with his attacking play this season, he does often help Santon (or whover is LB) out a lot defensively.

Guest Nikos34

If Cisse has been in the middle he'd have scored the chance central striker Shola put wide just before they made it 2-1. Taking Obertan off was a horrible decision too and sums that spineless chancer up perfectly.

Going down.

Couldn't agree more. Obertan, along with Marveaux, were the only players in that side who looked like going past anyone. Which is what I always thought you needed in order to create chances.

Fair enough if he'd have chucked Sammy straight on but he didn't do that, he threw Bigi on 1st to ensure we became as narrow as possible!

Predictably, you caused us a bunch of problems. Defensively we were at times shambolic when "defending" the long balls from the back (Ameobi won a fair few headers, or at least prevented us from winning them clearly) but we also didn't know what to do when Obertan and Marveaux ran at us. I thought Obertan particularly early on with his sheer pace had us on the back foot, while Marveaux was the one who I thought was going to open us up most. Pleased with how we played once we got past the first 10-15 minutes but when Pienaar and Fellaini both missed chances in the 1st half I thought it was going to be another one of those days.

Seen a lot of the comments about the refereeing. Now, let's not go on too much about officiating in Everton v Newcastle fixtures this season. Fwiw the free kick was clearly soft, and both sides had so-so shouts for a penalty. As for the niggly fouls, I thought most were fouls. The crowd were up in arms about every single decision - I'd speculate that was as much, if not more, frustration directed at the performance in parts, as opposed to the individual decisions.

Personally I was fuming at how much we invited you onto us later in the 2nd half, it was like we were wanting you to score, and I'm surprised you didn't in the end. The younger Ameobi also caused us trouble in his brief appearance.

Heitinga and Naismith were as predicted, for lack of a better word, shite. Naismith in particular doesn't look remotely up to this level.

From the BBC : "We had a great start, I thought it was pretty even for long periods. They have a lot more experience and quality on the pitch than perhaps we did tonight.

"We had big players missing, but our effort was outstanding and I can't fault them for that, they gave everything.

"If we can get a bit more quality back in the team and maybe one or two in, which is probably important now, we'll be OK."