Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Once again our transition from defence to attack was totally inept. This is something that needs immediate attention. We have a fantastic array of personnel to hit teams on the break when they're out of position; Santon, Marveaux, Cisse, Anita, Obertan, and that's not including Ben Arfa and Cabaye.

Everton were a good example of how a team should play quickly and move up the pitch fast, switch the play, play wide and attack space.

Christ I didn't realise we had only lost 2 pre-Cabaye injury. He wasn't even playing well it seemed either but christ we have just collapsed since losing him (taylor and ben arfa to a lesser extent too)

People can say our midfield is functioning fine but people are overlooking what Cabaye does defensively. I'm sure there was a stat which said he made the most tackles in our team last year.

Sure he was in the top 5 for tackles made in the whole PL last year.

He was top.

10. Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur) – 96 Tackles

9. Marouane Fellaini (Everton) – 99 Tackles

8. Alex Song (Arsenal) – 100 Tackles

7. Youssuf Mulumbu (West Bromwich Albion) – 101 Tackles

6. Patrice Evra (Manchester United) – 104 Tackles

5. Maynor Figueroa (Wigan Athletic) – 107 Tackles

4. Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur) – 107 Tackles

3. Joe Allen (Swansea City) – 110 Tackles

2. Moussa Dembélé (Fulham) – 113 Tackles

1. Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle United) – 116 Tackles

http://www.barriesview.com/2012/05/premier-league-201112-most-frequent-tacklers

He's still s*** and invisible though.

/moron

I know your being sarcastic but i thought id comment on the people that say that..... what he does is a lot more effective that Tiote running round like a headless chicken smashing into people and leaving large areas of space for the opposition to run into.

I bet right now that our performances magically improve when he comes back and failing that the results will.

Cabaye's replacement has been Anita, and for me he's been one of our best players in the recent spell. Not only in midfield, but his set piece deliveries have been head and shoulders above Cabaye's. I'm not trying to dismiss Cabaye's importance here, I was one of those who said he was made to look worse last season due to being bypassed by our hoofball tactics, but this really isn't the problem area.

Just loads of problems out there. We never got close to a second ball. Transitions were again shit. Closing down was half-arsed. Defending in wide areas again terrible. Final balls once more bloody awful. The way Fellaini found so much time and space was unbelievable: someone should've started picking him up after the 50th time surely?

From the BBC : "We had a great start, I thought it was pretty even for long periods. They have a lot more experience and quality on the pitch than perhaps we did tonight.

"We had big players missing, but our effort was outstanding and I can't fault them for that, they gave everything.

"If we can get a bit more quality back in the team and maybe one or two in, which is probably important now, we'll be OK."

I think that's basically fair enough. The appalling play at the end sticks in the memory, but for the whole first half and a bit of the second we were playing quite well.

The midfield was very slack again today, too many balls being lost when bringing trasnsitional ball out of the defense, too dangerous to lose ball inthissituation second goal a clear example ofthis after a few other scares. the defense was all over the place aswell,allowing anibechiecheche to getin between centre backs...FFS!!!

Don't know if debuchy would have made agreat deal of difference,maybe he can show santon when to cross to a totally free striker for a second.

Devastated with our loose play!

Everton don't deserve any media wankfest BTW, they are an average team at best, relying heavily on Felliani to win their many long balls. Thought they were depressing tonight.

Glorified Stoke City tbh, physical long ball merchants.

Everton don't deserve any media wankfest BTW, they are an average team at best, relying heavily on Felliani to win their many long balls. Thought they were depressing tonight.

Indeed, looked as much a long ball team as us tonight.

Indeed, looked as much a long ball team as us tonight.

Except it sticked when they tried it.

I didn't notice Fellaini all game tbh.

Baines and Pienaar ( as i predicted) caused a lot more problems than he did.

Not really. He saw more of the ball and used it better than anyone else, tbh.

not saying that Everton didn't deserve to win, but that was honestly the most one-sided ref I've ever seen. That said the last 15-20 min from us were disgraceful, it was as if Everton were up by 3 goals or something for all the effort we put in. It looked like the last few mins of a blow out basketball game, when everybody is just going through the motions and waiting for the game to end. Aggravating. I don't even know who to properly blame cause nearly everybody looked at fault.

Sammy needs to go out on loan, he is so frustrating. Better not have another Shola on our hands.

Painfully obvious it's what he needs.

Eh? I thought Sammy was one of our more sane subs, and he did well when he came on. Putting Bigi and Ranger on seemed a lot more confused to me.

Guest neesy111

Absolute rubbish.