Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

It might not have been as good an idea as it first appeared meeting 20/30 agents over a week in a posh Parisian hotel. Ultimately it creates just the kind of atmosphere that shows our hand to all and sundry. All those agents are going to shoot their mouths off immediately they have a bargaining chip (a bid or interest from Newcastle).

With hindsight it would have been better swooping on individual deals one at a time and giving short time limits to the selling clubs ie. "We're looking at 3 left backs and the first to conclude will be signed, you have 24hrs only"...I can't see any other way around it if as we now see other clubs are aware that we're not flexible with reg to valuation or wages.

The Cisse case is a good example of us being ultra serious to wrap a deal up quick. What's changed?

That's what happens when you put all your eggs in 1 basket...in this case, the French one ; they have got Ashley weighed up and they know they can either hold NUFc to ransom for the players or hawk them around elsewhere, safe in the knowledge that NUFC will bend over and be screwed because they will always come back to the French marlet as they see it as cheap....

Problem is - so does everyone else now...

I thought people were happy with Mike Ashley and not paying more than we should for players ?

It is all about having some flexibility.  If a player is going to seriously improve our squad then is it really disastrous to offer another £500k and especially if a player is of the potential where we expect to make a profit if he sold on.  We were supposedly outbid by Wigan for Moses when the player wanted to come here by about £500k and Wigan sold him for £10m.

I would have thought that the fact we are supposed to pay the full amount up front to hold some sway (perhaps the reason for the lower bids) as I cannot imagine clubs like West Ham doing that. 

Are we just scouting targets for other teams?

Yes - they don't even need to recruit Carr on a bigger salary, they just watch who we bid for, then trump it.

I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I did say in the summer I was very uncomfortable about the amount of media Carr was doing and the attention he was bringing to our scouting system... Also the way others at the club including AP were bragging about it almost... I felt then this would be the result of it all and it's proving to be so... I couldn't name a scout at another club and before Carr I wouldn't of known who our scouts were...

Guest tollemache

I think other clubs would've noticed the string of bargains coming through our door long before anyone started to talk about it in the press