Nigel Adkins sacked. Mauricio Pochettino appointed new Southampton manager

Fenham Mag

Always scepital when people say get him in. There will be fans on other boards thinking pardew is a great manager. How many managers come and we actually praise them? If its not the style of play then they've lost the dressing room, or they sign poorly. People always find something to moan at.

Having said that it seems Southampton play attacking football.

Adkins is a proper motivator too - players have a massive amount of respect for him.

He gets all of his teams playing football on the deck.

He'll no doubt go to a decent Championship team now.

Showing my ignorance here but I have not heard of the new guy.  Any good?

Did a so-so job with Espanyol before getting sacked after a horrible start to this season. Had virtually no resources though.

He'd lost the dressing room though, before that he'd done brilliantly with the (s***) team he head. He plays simple but effective counterattacking football, setting his teams to be hard to beat, etc... I suppose he should fit in the PL. But it's always a risk changing horses midstream. Southampton were really improving.

You know if he even speaks English?

No idea, to be honest. But he's pretty articulate so he should be able to learn it if he doesn't.

No idea who pochettino is, but Adkins has been great for them, 2 promotions on the bounce, and after a slow start got his team not only winning, but playing football. Seems fans and players are right behind him, polar opposites of what we are going through and not even a whiff of a sacking for Pardcunt.

Disgrace to the game, this decision.

why ? they think they have upgraded just like clubs do with players.

It's about expectation levels for me. 2 promotions on the spin, any reasonable person would expect them to struggle. You don't give the man a chance? I'd expect the opportunity to bring them back up IF they do go down, even.? If he hasn't lost the dressing room, of course.  Others have already put it better, but echoes of Hughton maybe bring it closer to the bone.

The issue is one of momentum. Of course I don't know the exact goings on at Southampton but if they'd survived this season in, say, 16th, and then decided to go with someone else in the summer, you could see their logic. But the timing of this is just bizarre.

The reason I think Adkins is a decent manager is, not just due to his achievements in the past few years, but because he's shown signs of learning in this league. First 8-10 games they were very entertaining but often do their own undoing. They had 4 points after 10 games, yes, scoring a decent amount but conceding fuckloads.

But in the past 10 league games

H 2-0

H 1-1

A 1-0

H 1-0

H 0-1

A 1-1

A 3-3

H 1-1

A 0-1

A 2-2

The Stoke game aside (some very weird goals in that) and even the Chelsea game, I thought they only really went for it because they had to - showed zero ambition in the first half - I think you can say with some confidence they've shown a more cautious approach in the past couple of months, and it's paying dividends. 14 points in those 10 games, which is top 10 form, let alone just staying up.

He's shown he can adapt to the demands of this league and frankly out of the bottom 5/6, they were showing the most signs of staying up. The boat has surely been rocked.

Wow ... that's largely a team of English players too. There's definitely going to be a bad reaction to this from the players, along with the media backlash this is going to hurt them I think.

Guest firetotheworks

He has pedigree now, tbh. I can't imagine it'll be long until he gets a job. Although he strikes me as someone that will only go somewhere that looks absolutely right. So no chance of us.

The issue is one of momentum. Of course I don't know the exact goings on at Southampton but if they'd survived this season in, say, 16th, and then decided to go with someone else in the summer, you could see their logic. But the timing of this is just bizarre.

The reason I think Adkins is a decent manager is, not just due to his achievements in the past few years, but because he's shown signs of learning in this league. First 8-10 games they were very entertaining but often do their own undoing. They had 4 points after 10 games, yes, scoring a decent amount but conceding fuckloads.

But in the past 10 league games

H 2-0

H 1-1

A 1-0

H 1-0

H 0-1

A 1-1

A 3-3

H 1-1

A 0-1

A 2-2

The Stoke game aside (some very weird goals in that) and even the Chelsea game, I thought they only really went for it because they had to - showed zero ambition in the first half - I think you can say with some confidence they've shown a more cautious approach in the past couple of months, and it's paying dividends. 14 points in those 10 games, which is top 10 form, let alone just staying up.

He's shown he can adapt to the demands of this league and frankly out of the bottom 5/6, they were showing the most signs of staying up. The boat has surely been rocked.

Aye. Compare that to our last 10. Very poor decision by Southampton.

Wonder if the reactions to this would be similar on other club's boards if we binned Pardew. Scandalous, they finished 5th last season etc.

I think it would TBH, not many people outside of this forum are even talking about sacking Pardew.

That's complete utter bollocks.

Agreed - ANY manager whose team has not won an away game, conceded 13 goals in 3 games and has never come from a goal down to win a match and whose captain and best player wants to leave, would be odds on for most people.

Let alone Pardew, who has come to grief at 4 clubs before, all within a few years of taking over...

Wonder if the reactions to this would be similar on other club's boards if we binned Pardew. Scandalous, they finished 5th last season etc.

I think it would TBH, not many people outside of this forum are even talking about sacking Pardew.

That's complete utter bollocks.

Thanks for that measured response.

Obviously the only Newcastle fans I really mix with on a day-to-day basis are on here, my feedback is mostly from fans of other clubs.

Other clubs' fans don't give a stuff about Newcastle United.