Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Just remember how bad Colo was. He was so awful i couldn't see him turning it around.

MYM has the tools and, i believe, the mental fortitude. Just needs some support and a run of games.

I cringed during the Everton home game when he misjudged the bounce 3 or 4 times. Maybe that game has stuck in Pards mind.

But that's nuts. You make one mistake and you're out for good? How can the stakes possibly be that high for a team that almost actively avoids trying to win cups?

I wonder on what basis Pardew has suddenly lost all faith in MYM? He admitted himself that he didn't really deserve to lose his place when Colo became available again, he was in pretty solid form IIRC. When did a £6m asset suddenly become a liability?

Apparently he's not convinced he's good enough in the air.

Can't they just....work with him on his weaknesses? Has every other sport in the world lied to me?

Most other clubs would buy a defender which compliments his strengths and weaknesses.

Not us though, we get rid.

I wonder on what basis Pardew has suddenly lost all faith in MYM? He admitted himself that he didn't really deserve to lose his place when Colo became available again, he was in pretty solid form IIRC. When did a £6m asset suddenly become a liability?

Apparently he's not convinced he's good enough in the air.

Can't they just....work with him on his weaknesses? Has every other sport in the world lied to me?

Most other clubs would buy a defender which compliments his strengths and weaknesses.

Not us though, we get rid.

Exactly. None of our other defenders are that strong in the air either, and as a pure defender he's streets ahead of the other three.

Who else can we play at RB back at the moment with Janmaat not joined up and Raylor not match fit? At least he's getting games and not frozen out like HBA.. Just hope he sticks around and is given a chance at his real position.

Guest TurboTrev

Well he did nothing today to change my mind about him.  Poor in the air, not particularly quick, gives the ball away, poor positioning and can't read the game to save his life.

Well he did nothing today to change my mind about him.  Poor in the air, not particularly quick, gives the ball away, poor positioning and can't read the game to save his life.

Playing out of position mind.

All criticisms which can be levelled at our other defenders too.

Guest chopey

I'm with you there, he has never really impressed me just a reincarnation of Titus bramble

I must admit like, I've read this thread through gritted teeth in the past as I don't see what others see in him.

Sure, he may not of been given a fair chance, but he's shown nothing to suggest he's a particularly good footballer in my opinion. Poor in the air, struggles with 1 on 1s, quite weak in the challenge.

He's better than Taylor like, but I actually prefer Williamson and Colo at CB.

If we can ship him out and REPLACE him with a better player, then I'm not too fussed.

Agree. You never know who will make the step up and who won't. Centre backs who aren't that physical really tend to struggle with the Premier League - he was always a very risky signing and it's turned out to be a very poor call from Carr.

And it's quite common to move players out wide from the centre when they're new to the league - it lets them adjust to the pace of the game but any mistakes are less likely to be costly, and it's better than not being in the team at all. Robson gave Taylor his debut at right back and he played Bassedas and Viana out wide as well.

He's had 18 months and he's been a flop. Time to move on.

I must admit like, I've read this thread through gritted teeth in the past as I don't see what others see in him.

Sure, he may not of been given a fair chance, but he's shown nothing to suggest he's a particularly good footballer in my opinion. Poor in the air, struggles with 1 on 1s, quite weak in the challenge.

If we can ship him out and REPLACE him with a better player, then I'm not too fussed.

Agree. You never know who will make the step up and who won't. Centre backs who aren't that physical really tend to struggle with the Premier League - he was always a very risky signing and it's turned out to be a very poor call from Carr.

And it's quite common to move players out wide from the centre when they're new to the league - it lets them adjust to the pace of the game but any mistakes are less likely to be costly, and it's better than not being in the team at all. Robson gave Taylor his debut at right back and he played Bassedas and Viana out wide as well.

He's had 18 months and he's been a flop. Time to move on.

Taylor, Bassedas amd Viana, eh?  Works a treat, that does then.

It makes you wonder why Mike won't let Pardew have more say in which players we buy since he clearly has a much better grasp of English football than Carr.