Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

How many times has he played in the middle for us? Not many.

He's going to be absolute class.

He will when he starts to realizing he doesn't have as much time on the ball as in France, because he's absolute class in defending, my problem is that he prone to committing way to many mistakes whenever he's on the ball at the moment.

Massively similar to Colo when he first came, lapsed of concentration, trying to do too much on the ball, ditto Enrique. He will be great in time

This, I've seen this trait on a few new players over the last year; Sissoko, Anita, Debuchy... We need to give players time to adapt.

Mapou came to the league at age 22 and Colo signed at 26. Both came at different stages of their respective careers. Both have shown shakiness and real top talent in their first appearances. Let Mapou settle the fuck in man; awful team and environment he's joined in. He's every tool and mentality and resume to show he can develop into a top player for us.

Kanji the voice of reason, yet again. :thup:

He's spent a fair bit of time playing full back. It's going to take a while to become accustomed to a central role, alongside a new partner, in a new league. Got a lot of faith in this lad.

Looks very shaky at times but I get the distinct impression its a case of waiting for him to come good, he shows often that hes a very tidy player and its just all about getting that consistency in a new league, on first glances though I would have to say he needs be a little less complacent with certain over ambitions passes and dribbles at the back and also seems very weak in the air for a big lad.

Under the circumstances of a 4-0 beating - he looked decent at CB. Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one as he did a few positive interceptions. Looked shaky as owt at LB but was better at CB. Then he was turboshite against Morecambe. I haven't seen an actual good came front to back from the lad yet this term.

Under the circumstances of a 4-0 beating - he looked decent at CB. Prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one as he did a few positive interceptions. Looked shaky as owt at LB but was better at CB. Then he was turboshite against Morecambe. I haven't seen an actual good came front to back from the lad yet this term.

Like pretty much most players, a consistent run in the team in a settled back four would tell us more than the stop/start nature of his time here thus far.

Think there's a canny player in there, it'll just take time

Like pretty much most players, a consistent run in the team in a settled back four would tell us more than the stop/start nature of his time here thus far.

not just a settled back 4 but a settled team. centre halves work as much with those in front of them as those by their side.

not just a settled back 4 but a settled team. centre halves work as much with those in front of them as those by their side.

:thup: agreed

One thing I noticed in the first half last night due to our defence being close to the away end was how he was barking orders and telling some of our other defenders where to go and encouraging the youngsters. :thup:

Good to hear, I know he was the leader at Montpelier, but seems to be much quieter/reserved on the pitch from my view on television. I think he'll be fine once he keeps playing consistently, especially next to Colo. More movement while he's on the ball would help too, there were several times he looked up and had nothing which resulted in turnovers. Still young, very promising.

:pardsgrin:

Think he'll be very good, but he seems to have lapses in concentration when he turns it over. I agree though, get a partnership going with he and Colo, and we'll look 10 times better at the back than we did last season.

:thup:

He's spent a fair bit of time playing full back. It's going to take a while to become accustomed to a central role, alongside a new partner, in a new league. Got a lot of faith in this lad.

hell playing full back for a bit is probably not the worst way to let him get used to the pace of the league where theres less of a chance a mistake will lead to a goal compared to cb. The guys clearly talented I'm just not sure him and Colo are the ideal pairing against some of the more aerially dominant strikers. Had it been Carroll instead of Maiga last sat I'd say we'd have lost.

That's my concern. Him and Colo share the same very blatant and vulnerable defensive deficiencies. You'd fancy a lot of horrible strikers from the lower end of the PL to give them trouble physically and in the air. Both essentially good defenders, of course, but this is what happens when you sign players with their suitability within the first Xl little more than a token afterthought: you get imbalance in key areas.

That's my concern. Him and Colo share the same very blatant and vulnerable defensive deficiencies. You'd fancy a lot of horrible strikers from the lower end of the PL to give them trouble physically and in the air. Both essentially good defenders, of course, but this is what happens when you sign players with their suitability within the first Xl little more than a token afterthought: you get imbalance in key areas.

Can't see Mapou being raped for pace and power like Shane Long has done several times to Colo in recent seasons though. I would Argue MYM has a far better platform to become a top Premier League CB than Colo.