Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Right now Stan Laurel or Sideshow Bob would be an upgrade. I can't see us looking past has beens though unfortunately. I honestly don't believe Kinear is in the running, that would just be a health and safety / Risk assessment nightmare with his ill health.

An up and coming young manager, with an attacking pedigree and something to prove, not bothered about nationality either.

Who would i go for?

So assuming Pardew is fired / walks, we're looking for a bloke who'll work for peanuts on a heavily incentivised contract. He'll have no say whatsoever in incoming or outgoing transfers. In public he must spout whatever shit is fed to him by the clubs press officer. But crucially, apart from being a utter fucking goon with no self respect, he needs to be a decent football manager.

Hmmm?

This bloke doesn't exist.

[tin hat on] I'd take Kevin Keegan under a new owner [/tin hat on]

You shouldn't need a tin hat. Anyone who doesn't realise the brilliance of Keegan needs locking up.

The best manager we'll ever see at NUFC.

I am quite curious as to whether Keegan would be capable of working with someone who has similar philosophies as Mike Ashley but is less spiteful/egotistical/crazy.

In the abstract, I'm quite for the idea of being frugal, buying low and selling high, and having a director of football (that's not Joe Kinnear). I'd like to see an owner who would be able to integrate those philosophies with other forward-thinking measures like integration of advanced statistics, scientific conditioning, and an organizational effort to help players settle down/learn the language.

I wonder if Keegan would be okay with those circumstances if he actually got along with the owner and had a DoF he could respect.

Who would i go for?

So assuming Pardew is fired / walks, we're looking for a bloke who'll work for peanuts on a heavily incentivised contract. He'll have no say whatsoever in incoming or outgoing transfers. In public he must spout whatever s*** is fed to him by the clubs press officer. But crucially, apart from being a utter f***ing goon with no self respect, he needs to be a decent football manager.

Hmmm?

I know hes prob not a goon like but Eddie Howe is realistic imo

Eddie Howe might well be but if he has any self respect at all he'll last less than a month.

Who would i go for?

So assuming Pardew is fired / walks, we're looking for a bloke who'll work for peanuts on a heavily incentivised contract. He'll have no say whatsoever in incoming or outgoing transfers. In public he must spout whatever shit is fed to him by the clubs press officer. But crucially, apart from being a utter fucking goon with no self respect, he needs to be a decent football manager.

Hmmm?

"Hi"

http://i43.tinypic.com/sc9f6p.jpg

"Oh sorry, you said decent footballer manager didn't you, I'M FEKIN TOP TOP CLASS?"

You shouldn't need a tin hat. Anyone who doesn't realise the brilliance of Keegan needs locking up.

I am quite curious as to whether Keegan would be capable of working with someone who has similar philosophies as Mike Ashley but is less spiteful/egotistical/crazy.

In the abstract, I'm quite for the idea of being frugal, buying low and selling high, and having a director of football (that's not Joe Kinnear). I'd like to see an owner who would be able to integrate those philosophies with other forward-thinking measures like integration of advanced statistics, scientific conditioning, and an organizational effort to help players settle down/learn the language.

I wonder if Keegan would be okay with those circumstances if he actually got along with the owner and had a DoF he could respect.

Interesting points.

I believe the forward thinking advanced statistics, scientific conditioning, and psychological/organizational effort for settling, regaining confidence and form, language etc. SHOULD be incorporated in any modern day top division club.  I'll add that I don't mind a "frugal" owner, if he was someone who preferred to sanction the EXACT same transfer policy (using this as a base case) but the club utilized a modern medical/sports science to gain advantages via conditioning  + a very shrewd tactical manager who was a bit of a maverick, I'd be all over it .  You could say that is someone like Mauricio Pochettino.

But the above to me is clear. The owner does not want to fund major transfers, fine. The owner is taking advantage of unique scouting situations to obtain young players who have potential. The owner has addressed strength, conditioning, and psychology of his players by employing best-in-class practices as a commitment to keeping the playing squad fit and healthy.  The owner has employed a manager who uses his tactical knowledge of the game to constantly adapt and be proactive getting the best out of the players that are signed.  This is ambitious, this is addressing the money problem or issue and finding ways around it to get on as level a playing field as possible. 

Would anyone be happy with Glenn Hoddle?

Yes.....For no other reason than he's my favourite non Toon player ever and also the best England manager of recent times.  I know he hasn't really tore up any trees as a club manager since his Swindon days but I've just a gut feeling that he would prosper with us.

I can't imagine who would work willingly for Ashley and put up with the various levels of crap the job entails. We need someone with no self-respect, a Yes-man and a bullshit artist. Hang on, we've already got our "dream" manager.

Interesting points.

I believe the forward thinking advanced statistics, scientific conditioning, and psychological/organizational effort for settling, regaining confidence and form, language etc. SHOULD be incorporated in any modern day top division club.  I'll add that I don't mind a "frugal" owner, if he was someone who preferred to sanction the EXACT same transfer policy (using this as a base case) but the club utilized a modern medical/sports science to gain advantages via conditioning  + a very shrewd tactical manager who was a bit of a maverick, I'd be all over it .  You could say that is someone like Mauricio Pochettino.

But the above to me is clear. The owner does not want to fund major transfers, fine. The owner is taking advantage of unique scouting situations to obtain young players who have potential. The owner has addressed strength, conditioning, and psychology of his players by employing best-in-class practices as a commitment to keeping the playing squad fit and healthy.  The owner has employed a manager who uses his tactical knowledge of the game to constantly adapt and be proactive getting the best out of the players that are signed.  This is ambitious, this is addressing the money problem or issue and finding ways around it to get on as level a playing field as possible. 

Absolutely.

Honestly, every club should have a dedicated data collection department. Every club should have a sports science department. Every club should employ multiple staff who's job is to do nothing but help new players buy houses, settle in, tell them where the car wash is and where they can get their suits pressed etc. I think I'd almost prefer an owner who was relatively skint but invested wisely in these things to gain an advantage than a megabucks Abramovich type.

Football really needs to be brought into the twenty-first century and I wish our club were the ones who were doing it.

Would anyone be happy with Glenn Hoddle? 

No, I didn't like his Chelsea team much, I would prefer someone less well known but who has produced decent football at a lower level. Obviously we won't pay for someone who has done it at a higher level so that's the next best thing. Di Matteo still looks like a decent punt to me.

This - Di Matteo, if rumours are to be believed, is interested in the job and is probably the best we could get under Ashley. We could hardly expect better under the current regime, however, get a new ambitious owner and the sky could be the limit - maybe KK as DoF and then we could be looking at some decent continental managers too...he has contacts in Germany....

• 4 months later...

Pretty sure this video is allowed but obviously delete if not.

Has done a cracking job at Burnley and seems a genuine football manager who wants to do it the right way. I wouldn't be upset if we took a punt on him (I know we won't).

Pretty sure this video is allowed but obviously delete if not.

Has done a cracking job at Burnley and seems a genuine football manager who wants to do it the right way. I wouldn't be upset if we took a punt on him (I know we won't).

Yes please.