Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Driving down expectations by sticking with Carver until McClaren seems like a great appointment is absolutely typical of this regime. Wouldn't amaze me if they even assessed Derby's dip in form around the time we were looking and decided it was a way to save some money should Derby not get promotion. As ever with these pricks it's about doing as little as possible.

Worth re-reading the remit for a new manager that Charnley came up with after Pardew left. Would make the hiring of Carver gross misconduct really.

Charnley said: “I hope by the end of this week I will have a better indication of where we sit.

“I will know the really, really credible individuals who would be of real interest to us and from there whether a decision can be made now or whether that decision can wait until the summer.

“There is a wide range of options.

“There are people who genuinely cannot move now, whether that be for personal reasons, contractual or a whole host – they cannot come now.

“There are some who can, whether they are tied to other clubs but have a compensation element involved or are out of work.

“What I have done so far is go through them, with Graham’s input, and refine the candidates.

“I needed to make sure those individuals understand what the role is, understand what is expected of them here, understand the pressures which come with this role and understand what their philosophy is and the culture they would create and develop here.”

He added: “I know the individual who comes in will be credible and best suited for this role.

“First and foremost they have to be a good coach and with a track record of developing players and giving young players a chance - that is important.

“For me, style of play is important.

“How they conduct themselves is also important as the head coach will play a key part in how the club is perceived through his conduct on and off the field.”

United are being up front with all candidates about what to expect if they get the job.

“The traditional English boss who would want full control is not what I am looking for - they do not fit within our structure or strategy,” said Charnley.

“This is not something new but it is a refinement of the role Alan (Pardew) had. It is a greater clarity for whoever gets the job in terms of what they do and what their role is.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-whittle-down-long-8485075

Carver or McClaren would disappoint me massively. I'm already completely apathetic towards football thanks to Newcastle's recent history, but either of those and I'd find something better to do on match days. Which I fear wouldn't be that hard.

Worth re-reading the remit for a new manager that Charnley came up with after Pardew left. Would make the hiring of Carver gross misconduct really.

Charnley said: “I hope by the end of this week I will have a better indication of where we sit.

“I will know the really, really credible individuals who would be of real interest to us and from there whether a decision can be made now or whether that decision can wait until the summer.

“There is a wide range of options.

“There are people who genuinely cannot move now, whether that be for personal reasons, contractual or a whole host – they cannot come now.

“There are some who can, whether they are tied to other clubs but have a compensation element involved or are out of work.

“What I have done so far is go through them, with Graham’s input, and refine the candidates.

“I needed to make sure those individuals understand what the role is, understand what is expected of them here, understand the pressures which come with this role and understand what their philosophy is and the culture they would create and develop here.”

He added: “I know the individual who comes in will be credible and best suited for this role.

“First and foremost they have to be a good coach and with a track record of developing players and giving young players a chance - that is important.

“For me, style of play is important.

“How they conduct themselves is also important as the head coach will play a key part in how the club is perceived through his conduct on and off the field.”

United are being up front with all candidates about what to expect if they get the job.

“The traditional English boss who would want full control is not what I am looking for - they do not fit within our structure or strategy,” said Charnley.

“This is not something new but it is a refinement of the role Alan (Pardew) had. It is a greater clarity for whoever gets the job in terms of what they do and what their role is.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-whittle-down-long-8485075

Carver fails everything  :lol:

No chance he gets the gig after reading through that again. I mean come on!

With McClaren, I feel it's easy to point out why his possible appointment would be as pointless as Pardew really.

Like Pardew, he wouldn't be appointed based on sporting merit. If we were looking to attract someone who could develop NUFC as a football club, we would not dive into the Championship after reviewing 80 applications or look to the continent.

Like Pardew, he fits the profile of being instantly and endelssly indebted to Ashley. Thankful for being up-hoisted from a lower league and given the chance to redecorate his reputation - despite no other Premier League club reaching for him, but turning to the likes of Chris Ramsey, Tim Sherwood, Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew. That's his standing in the game. He's not a forgotten managerial talent that we can magically resurrect on the cheap.

Like Pardew, he'll be brought in to pick up whatever is thrown at him, do Pardew's job of advertising vulnerability in the transfer market and act as a human shield whenever recruitment or cup policy is being questioned, while being ever so thankful of having job that one of his main priorities will be staying in the job, a job he wouldn't have without our self-constructed crippled reality. He'll threfore need to actively reinforce that with the same rhetoric Pardew used, as any other reality would signal that he should have never even been considered for the job.

Like Pardew (well...), he'll have just enough to keep us ticking over, earn praise from colleagues for picking up the odd unexpected win and manage a club that is virtually impossible to manage; subsequently restoring his reputation.

I'm quite sure that's the approach they'll use when trying to sell the job to him, if they don't stop the charade and just go with Carver. In which case they're not even interested in disguising our pointless existence anymore.

With McClaren, I feel it's easy to point out why his possible appointment would be as pointless as Pardew really.

Like Pardew, he wouldn't be appointed based on sporting merit. If we were looking to attract someone who could develop NUFC as a football club, we would not dive into the Championship after reviewing 80 applications or look to the continent.

Like Pardew, he fits the profile of being instantly and endelssly indebted to Ashley. Thankful for being up-hoisted from a lower league and given the chance to redecorate his reputation - despite no other Premier League club reaching for him, but turning to the likes of Chris Ramsey, Tim Sherwood, Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew. That's his standing in the game. He's not a forgotten managerial talent that we can magically resurrect on the cheap.

Like Pardew, he'll be brought in to pick up whatever is thrown at him, do Pardew's job of advertising vulnerability in the transfer market and act as a human shield whenever recruitment or cup policy is being questioned, while being ever so thankful of having job that one of his main priorities will be staying in the job, a job he wouldn't have without our self-constructed crippled reality. He'll need to reinforce that with the same rhetoric Pardew used, as any other reality would signal that he should have never even been considered for the job.

Like Pardew (well...), he'll have just enough to keep us ticking over, earn praise from colleagues for picking up the odd unexpected win and manage a club that is virtually impossible to manage; subsequently restoring his reputation.

I'm quite sure that's the approach they'll use when trying to sell the job to him, if they don't stop the charade and just go with Carver. In which case they're not even interested in disguising our pointless existence anymore.

While I agree with the gist of your general sentiment, where I would differ is comparing him to Pardew. While McClaren generally comes across as an uninspiring figure who never amounted to much despite early hype, I do think he's on another level to Pardew because at least he seems to have some genuine coaching credentials. By that I mean there is probably some respect within the game for that side of him. Pardew on the other hand is seen mostly as  wide boy who will probably never seriously be considered for the national job. I get the feeling McClaren teams will be boring and functional but probably not as blatantly horrible to watch as Pardew's. Centre forwards playing at left back and what have you.

Like Pardew, he'll be brought in to pick up whatever is thrown at him, do Pardew's job of advertising vulnerability in the transfer market and act as a human shield whenever recruitment or cup policy is being questioned, while being ever so thankful of having job that one of his main priorities will be staying in the job, a job he wouldn't have without our self-constructed crippled reality. He'll need to reinforce that with the same rhetoric Pardew used, as any other reality would signal that he should have never even been considered for the job.

While I agree with the gist of your general sentiment, where I would differ is comparing him to Pardew. While McClaren generally comes across as an uninspiring figure who never amounted to much despite early hype, I do think he's on another level to Pardew because at least he seems to have some genuine coaching credentials. By that I mean there is probably some respect within the game for that side of him. Pardew on the other hand is seen mostly as  wide boy who will probably never seriously be considered for the national job. I get the feeling McClaren teams will be boring and functional but probably not as blatantly horrible to watch as Pardew's. Centre forwards playing at left back and what have you.

I agree with that, McClaren is (or was) by many accounts a better coach.

That's not the reason we might appoint him though, which makes the appointment equally as uninspiring for me.

Like Pardew, he'll be brought in to pick up whatever is thrown at him, do Pardew's job of advertising vulnerability in the transfer market and act as a human shield whenever recruitment or cup policy is being questioned, while being ever so thankful of having job that one of his main priorities will be staying in the job, a job he wouldn't have without our self-constructed crippled reality. He'll threfore need to actively reinforce that with the same rhetoric Pardew used, as any other reality would signal that he should have never even been considered for the job.

All of the above and also the fact that he's still damaged goods after the England debacle. Ashley loves something a bit battered/flood damaged.

He can tart it up and flog it on.

Exactly the same scenario applies to McClaren imho.

Such a wasted opportunity if they appoint either Mclaren or Carver. FFS, McLaren can't even get a team out of the Championship, how is that any kind of a job reference. Carver's record speaks for itself, the guy should be nowhere near this football club.

The fact that McLaren's tactics extend beyond lumping it up to a big man and playing every set penis to a hapless lumux at the far post is a step in the right direction. We might actually be able to buy in to the football again even if we continue to detest the regime. That's a small positive but a positive nonetheless.

I get that we shouldn't have to 'settle' for a second rate manager/head coach but it really is starting to p*ss me off that people are turning their noses up at McClaren. Not to mention all the f***ing numpties on the FB page still referring to him as 'The Wally with a Brolly'.

The title win at Twente was an incredible achievement, sold their best player in the summer (Eljero Elia) for 9m Euros and signed Ruiz, De Jong for 6m Euros. Of course it's not the best league in the world but regardless of the quality of the league, they weren't considered title contenders. They were unbeaten at home too. Second place Ajax had the likes of Suarez, Van der Wiel, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen...it was an incredible achievement.

Granted, it was 5 years ago but it still happened - compare that to who is in charge now. No contest.

How many of the McClaren haters think we're going to go out and appoint a progressive, foreign coach with a philosophy for attacking football? What are the genuine alternatives given Ashley's track record?

Yes, our expectations have been lowered and no I wouldn't be delighted with McClaren but I'd be happy with him - I'd take much more of an interest in us than I do currently and compared to how I'd feel if Carver was appointed. I can't even bare the thought of that.

The same guy that's pissing the Championship with his scintillating brand of football. 1 Point ahead of Mick McCarthy's Ipswich.

I just don't see any reason to be positive. At least an 'unknown' would get the benefit of the doubt and there'd be some interest in how he'd set the team up.

The scintilating brand of football that we've NOT played for, what, 12 years?

What are you hoping for in the summer? Ashley to decide he does really give a s*** after all and throw a load of money at Klopp? Or for a buyer to magically appear and make us all a lot happier?

In terms of being realistic, I'm happy with McClaren. If our circumstances change and we get a new owner, then I won't be.

Of course we've not had it for years so why shouldn't we take the opportunity now?

Ashley could easily employ a manager capable of playing a decent brand of football without spending much more money or risking anything.

I genuinely don't think it's an unrealistic ambition, as a fan of a club who are not going to try in any competition they enter, to at least try to play proper football.

McLaren has never had a good footballing side.

Why does being 'realistic' mean you have to be happy with Steve McClaren from one league below and effectively damaged goods?

Why should we even be considering waiting for Steve McClaren and Derby f***ing County? :lol:

I mean what serious sporting institution would wait for a lesser club and a second rate manager? It just doesn't make sense. You tell the bellend to come now or not at all. Why do we give a f*** about Derby's promotion bid? And, if he's going to leave in the summer anyway, why does he?

I hardly think it's unrealistic to expect better.

On top of that, the bloke is the most boring c*** going. Having to listen to him trot out the latest Bishop Bollocks on MoTD every week in that f***ing monotone voice of his will literally drive me up the f***ing wall.

Totally agree with this point.

Such a wasted opportunity if they appoint either Mclaren or Carver. FFS, McLaren can't even get a team out of the Championship, how is that any kind of a job reference. Carver's record speaks for itself, the guy should be nowhere near this football club.

It's not an easy league to get out of. Particularly this season.

I think SM would  be able to get us Europa League football on regular basis, provided he is adequately backed.

I'd be happy going for an exciting progressive manager in the Championship. Just not Steve.

Mark Warburton's Brentford are exciting. He's not a yes-man however and is leaving at the end of the season.

Agree.

I think SM would  be able to get us Europa League football on regular basis, provided he is adequately backed.

No it's not. Look at the list of managers who've done it: Pardew, Hughton, Mick McMackem (about 50 times), Nigel Pearson, Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Paul Jewel, Roy bloody Keane, for christ sake I could go on. Look back at our season down there, Shola Ameobi ffs was knocking in goals for fun before he got injured and then even Marlon Harewood got us a few. It's not that tough a league for a manager of any quality, and managers of better than completely crap ability tend to get their teams up.

If you can't get a team out of that division, you're not good enough. Don't care what he did some 10 years ago at Boro or one season in Holland, his current CV, is no better than the likes of those managers currently ahead of him in that league and below us in ours.

I wish to have your optimism