Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

I think he's a good player who's made a good impact overall so far. Just at times a bit of a square peg in a round hole in that system.

:thup: Definitely agree, like I said, come august I hope he's on the bench as I see him and Marveaux as the perfect substitutes for Benny and a new winger.

He's got a bit of pace, a good dribble and works hard. He's in the mould of a support striker with the ability to come deep. Good player and as time passes he'll get some goals as well.

Not really a dribbler as has been said. Given his pace you'd think a run between the FB and CB would be the ideal ball for him to get onto (in our current system). Nice diagonall burst. We don't those though :-(

I don't know that he's a brilliant technical dribbler, but he is direct and decisive and confident in his ability to get past a man. He has about the same technical ability as Obertan with about a thousand times the mental strength.

he is direct and decisive and confident in his ability to get past a man.

I haven't really seen that in him at all. Looks more of a fox in the box type that will work very hard outside it.

I haven't really seen that in him at all. Looks more of a fox in the box type that will work very hard outside it.

This is more right! He can but don't favor running at people, u can see it when he gets the ball at the flanks. But hes quick so if he watches players like Walcott etc he can learn how to run past people effectively  :rolleyes:

Yep. He has shown he can do it on occasion but it's not really his game. He's a very decent footballer, good touch, surprisingly good passer of the ball too, we just need someone to pick out his running more. I'm confident he can get goals here but it's all about service.

I haven't made my mind up on what sort of player he is yet, but he's definitely had a significant contribution in our excellent run of (home) form. He wouldn't be the first player Pardew's deployed in a way that minimises his best traits, but you can't really complain atm because I do think his inclusion has made us more difficult to beat.

I did like that before the Santon injury Pardew started him up top with Cisse and Sissoko deeper in midfield as many had been asking to see. Showed that he maybe knows Gouffran is best suited pushed further forward, plus it showed we were doing for it against Fulham and that he's not totally against playing Sissoko from a deeper position.

I did like that before the Santon injury Pardew started him up top with Cisse and Sissoko deeper in midfield as many had been asking to see. Showed that he maybe knows Gouffran is best suited pushed further forward, plus it showed we were doing for it against Fulham and that he's not totally against playing Sissoko from a deeper position.

Aye I was very happy to see Sissoko played a bit deeper, actually. I know we attacked as well as we have all season in the second half vs Fulham, but I'd like to see Gouffran given another shot up top/Sissoko deeper against the Mackems.

Aye I was very happy to see Sissoko played a bit deeper, actually. I know we attacked as well as we have all season in the second half vs Fulham, but I'd like to see Gouffran given another shot up top/Sissoko deeper against the Mackems.

Wouldn't be against it either, Gouffran looked handy up top, we're not really utilising him on that left flank, I think he could score a good amount from there but we need certain players back for that. I was happy to see Sissoko deeper as well, he was looking good until the injury I thought, and it's great to see that Pardew has faith in him to do defensive work.

I hate to say this and Its not a knee-jerk but his time here so far hes not been that great.

Been completely lost. I guess that's what happens when there's no shape to a team.

Not a wide forward. Either play him in a front two with Cisse, or use him as his understudy.

Under the current management, he is completely wasted out wide, and totally unsure of what his role should be. Also, as bright and intelligent as he is, he is nowhere near the level of quality that merits starting matches ahead of Marveaux.

Should make way for Marveaux in the starting lineup for the rest of the season, barring injuries, and come on ahead of Shola when we're looking to add bodies to the forward line.

His best asset when he first arrived was his fast passing and movement along with Sissoko. For me, both players have lost that as they've become accustomed to our lack of direction and off the ball movement...they have just faded into the general apathy and are looking very average as a result.