Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

Gouffran did OK last night without being spectacular or eye catching, but he was given the full game to impress unlike Aarons who had 10 minutes last night, 10 minutes against Fulham and 45 minutes against Huddersfield.

He hasn't looked great but is that really enough time for a player to impress, especially one we've seen more than enough from to suggest hes a great player in the making?

I'd like to see him given a run of games without being subbed.

Gouffran is a beacon for mediocrity. It's settling for the fat bird who hung around you throughout high school instead of hitting the gym, reading books, developing a sense of humour and a sense of individuality to try getting the bird you really wanted. It's sitting in a job you don't hate but don't love either, for 8 hours a day, waiting until the day you can retire on your pension at 65, and let life pass you by. That's what it's like to see Gouffran starting for us in 2016.

Gouffran is tidy because he doesn't attempt anything remotely ambitious or try to take anyone on. There are times when that kind of player is useful.

But probably not when we're trying to win the league while playing two sitting midfielders. We need 2 wingers who can beat men and drive the team forward.

We dicked Ipswich with Zurab Khizanishvili in the side too.

That's basically my point. ???

Not that I think we've got the infrastructure to carry average/poor players in the same way we did last time.

Gouffran might do alright though.

Winning games with shit players in the team doesn't mean they're not shit players. I'd rather have a promising young winger in there getting pitch time and valuable experience, not some waste of a shirt like Alsoran occupying a squad place.

Guest firetotheworks

We dicked Ipswich with Zurab Khizanishvili in the side too.

You use the 'we won with such and such (Paul Dummett) in the side' all the time, man. :lol:

If you're referring to me saying we looked much better defensively with Dummett (as opposed to without) at the back end of last season, I'd say that's a bit different to just picking games and saying 'well we won with him, he must be OK'. It's not a relevant comparison, anyway, as I've said long term Dummett isn't the answer at LB.

Jonas played as a defensive left winger last time we were in the championship, if that's even a thing. He got away with it because Enrique could get forward.

This time around Dummett offers nowt going forward, which gives us a double negative on the left. If we can find an attacking left back who can overlap Gouffran we might be ok.

Gouffran is a beacon for mediocrity. It's settling for the fat bird who hung around you throughout high school instead of hitting the gym, reading books, developing a sense of humour and a sense of individuality to try getting the bird you really wanted. It's sitting in a job you don't hate but don't love either, for 8 hours a day, waiting until the day you can retire on your pension at 65, and let life pass you by. That's what it's like to see Gouffran starting for us in 2016.

We're not settling for the fat bird who hung around though. I don't know how many times this needs to be said, but Gouffran played yesterday because we ran out of other options. Rafa's already indicated that he'll probably move on this month, he was picked yesterday to do a job and that's what he did.

I'd rather Aarons got games ahead of him and we sign a couple of attacking players who can play out wide this window. Goes without saying, really.

Aarons is the one who got a five year contract while Gouffran is probably leaving. It's one game, we got a result, let's just move on and call it job done.

Jonas played as a defensive left winger last time we were in the championship, if that's even a thing. He got away with it because Enrique could get forward.

This time around Dummett offers nowt going forward, which gives us a double negative on the left. If we can find an attacking left back who can overlap Gouffran we might be ok.

But in mathematics double negative is a positive, Pardew surely knows this.