Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

Gouffran is a beacon for mediocrity. It's settling for the fat bird who hung around you throughout high school instead of hitting the gym, reading books, developing a sense of humour and a sense of individuality to try getting the bird you really wanted. It's sitting in a job you don't hate but don't love either, for 8 hours a day, waiting until the day you can retire on your pension at 65, and let life pass you by. That's what it's like to see Gouffran starting for us in 2016.

We're not settling for the fat bird who hung around though. I don't know how many times this needs to be said, but Gouffran played yesterday because we ran out of other options. Rafa's already indicated that he'll probably move on this month, he was picked yesterday to do a job and that's what he did.

If Gouff started to teach Aarons a lesson, at least Aarons could've been brought on at half time. I would rather we play Aarons back into form instead of starting Gouff.

Played well - was a bit predictable in final third, first half kept finding himself in a position to take it to the byline and get a cross in but cut back onto his right every time (Feel like a natural left-footer would have had a field day today). Tracked back, got stuck in

Think he will be good at this level, and not being played as a defensive midfielder will help too.

I think he's okay to fill in for a few games, but we desperately need a proper wide man in that role. Gouffran will run around willingly enough and put a shift in, but he's not going to trouble a defender or create much going forward.

Think he will be good at this level, and not being played as a defensive midfielder will help too.

What would you play him as, then? He's certainly no winger. The sooner we get rubbish like him out of the team and start building for the future the better.

Couldn't give a shit about Gouffran's perceived level of quality.  If Benitez thinks he's good enough to get us promoted, that's fine by me.  We can deal with whether he is good enough for the PL if/when we get there.

A win/loss makes so much difference in here it's ridiculous, like. :lol:

He's still utter shit. If he can put in a 7/10 at this level if we can't get rid of them though, he might be of some use here and there. Ideally we will sign a winger and Gouffran won't be in our 18 man match day squad.

Honestly I just love wingers and I hate it when that position in the side is filled by talentless grafters who knock the ball sideways 5 yards and then get praised for not being wasteful in possession. Fuck it.

Honestly I just love wingers and I hate it when that position in the side is filled by talentless grafters who knock the ball sideways 5 yards and then get praised for not being wasteful in possession. f*** it.

This.

I want someone fast, who can beat a man and get a good cross in for the strikers. Sometimes it'll come off, sometimes it'll not, but I want someone in that position who at least has the ability to do it occasionally and the desire to do it all of the time.

It's one of those where if we'd needed a goal late on everyone would've wanted him off the field and a real winger in his place. Great shot in the first half but he's bloody useless, man. Can't beat a man, no pace, can't cross. He gets the ball, scampers around and knocks it backwards and sideways. Need him replaced asap and fortunately Rafa knows it.

One of his better performances that I've seen in recent years, but that's not saying much. For how much we dominated at times, he felt like one of the least involved players. Great attempt off the crossbar though, tbf.