Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

Guest neesy111

It wasn't a penalty, Debuchy put his leg out to get to the ball, the Villa player comes in from behind him and clashes into him, You can't give a penalty for that.

:serious:

Penalty or not again we're giving the referee a decision to make when there is no need too. Tiote, Coloccini and now this, luckily its not cost us much but it's fuckin rankly unprofessional.

First 5-10 mins of either half away from home you've got to be fucking switched on mentally as well as physically so you don't shoot yourself in the foot, Debuchy wasn't tonight and he was shakey thereafter too. Was woefully exposed for a lot of it mind.

Guest neesy111

Penalty or not again we're giving the referee a decision to make when there is no need too. Tiote, Coloccini and now this, luckily its not cost us much but it's fuckin rankly unprofessional.

First 5-10 mins of either half away from home you've got to be fucking switched on mentally as well as physically so you don't shoot yourself in the foot, Debuchy wasn't tonight and he was shakey thereafter too. Was woefully exposed for a lot of it mind.

:thup:

That was a cracking first half performance, Sissoko unreal, Gouffran decent but didn't settle as well. Entire back four played well and Perch put in a decent shift in the middle. Cracking goal from Cabaye and Cisse getting one will only do him the world of good. Second half it was obvious they were going to come at us but we weren't helped by the ridiculous penalty decision, still I think we weathered the storm well and for once the substitutions were the correct ones.

The result is the main thing, but their are so many positives to take from that, we were resolute after conceding the goal and Krul was in fine form, when we were on top we looked like a top team, Sissoko ran the show in the middle and it allowed Cabaye to be quietly more effective. Cannot underestimate the impact Debuchy has on the team though, actually having two full-backs that are prepared to bomb on and produce quality in the final third really makes a difference and we ran them ragged down the flanks in the first half.

Pardew was reserved but upbeat afterwards, I think he's intelligent enough to realise that we're far from the finished article but we can have a very strong second half to the season if we maintain decent form and stay relatively injury free.

That was a cracking first half performance, Sissoko unreal, Gouffran decent but didn't settle as well. Entire back four played well and Perch put in a decent shift in the middle. Cracking goal from Cabaye and Cisse getting one will only do him the world of good. Second half it was obvious they were going to come at us but we weren't helped by the ridiculous penalty decision, still I think we weathered the storm well and for once the substitutions were the correct ones.

The result is the main thing, but their are so many positives to take from that, we were resolute after conceding the goal and Krul was in fine form, when we were on top we looked like a top team, Sissoko ran the show in the middle and it allowed Cabaye to be quietly more effective. Cannot underestimate the impact Debuchy has on the team though, actually having two full-backs that are prepared to bomb on and produce quality in the final third really makes a difference and we ran them ragged down the flanks in the first half.

Pardew was reserved but upbeat afterwards, I think he's intelligent enough to realise that we're far from the finished article but we can have a very strong second half to the season if we maintain decent form and stay relatively injury free.

Really?

Really?

I do. Perch but in a decent shift but we were really struggling to retain possession in the second half, after Shola and Anita came on we managed to get more a foothold and calm things down. Gouffran had an OK game but by the time he was subbed he was definitely struggling. Yanga-Mbiwa made a difference with that excellent tackle to prevent a certain goal and appeared composed on the ball.

We went very narrow and ceded the flanks but that really didn't matter as much as they weren't offering much down the right and after a while Debuchy got to grips with Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia. As a result we managed to gain a bit more control in midfield, and that was vital as Sissoko's influence had faded.

We were lucky in one aspect in that Villa always seem to panic and lump the long ball forward when time is running out, that played right into our hands.

We almost threw this game away after dominating the first half. The crucial moment for me was N'Zogbia's shot hitting our post when we were 1-0 up - a goal for them then could have changed the whole game.

You wouldn't have thought so until you saw the abysmal second half performance, assisted once again by Pardew's subs and his inability to deal with a rival manager's tactical changes.

Had Krul not been on top form we could well have lost and that would have been criminal after gaining such a good advantage in the first half.....he made at least 3 top class saves.

Sissoko was the stand out of the new signings with his first half display and great pass for Cisse's goal. Another brilliant strike from Cabaye and his all-round committment gave us a solid base to win the match - we then proceeded to attempt to throw it all away.

Colo was a rock in the second half and I stick to my view that if we lost this guy before May, we would be a favourite to go down because it will take time for Yanga-Mbiwa to adjust to the PL.

Jonas was awful in the second half and he is surely coming to the end of his time with us now....his disappearance meant that our flanks were constantly coming under pressure .

Why they shoved Anita up front was a mystery to me but then again, we lack pace up front. Cisse is not slow, but it is his anticipation which is his biggest threat...he is not fast over a distance. As for Shola...no words needed apart from the fact that his presence was our cue to begin hoofing.....

Relieved that we got the points but we are not out of the woods yet and NUFC fans could well win the prize for the most bitten finger nails by the time May arrives with Pardew in charge. We have some excellent players but we are never going to see the best of them under this guy.

The second half was a complete disgrace, probably the worst I've seen us in a long time given the opposition. We couldn't get out of our half and when we did it went to a lone striker who couldn't do anything else but lose the ball.  Too many times the lone striker headed it in to no mans land back to Villa because there was no one else up there. I honestly can't remember a single decent shot from us in that half. Disgraceful really, parking the bus for 45 minutes against a team we were completely destroying in the first half. Typical Pardew really, we could have scored a 3rd or 4th and seen the game out comfortably, but Pardew would rather park the bus and give us a nightmare of a half.

Really?

I do. Perch but in a decent shift but we were really struggling to retain possession in the second half, after Shola and Anita came on we managed to get more a foothold and calm things down. Gouffran had an OK game but by the time he was subbed he was definitely struggling. Yanga-Mbiwa made a difference with that excellent tackle to prevent a certain goal and appeared composed on the ball.

We went very narrow and ceded the flanks but that really didn't matter as much as they weren't offering much down the right and after a while Debuchy got to grips with Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia. As a result we managed to gain a bit more control in midfield, and that was vital as Sissoko's influence had faded.

We were lucky in one aspect in that Villa always seem to panic and lump the long ball forward when time is running out, that played right into our hands.

I disagree tbh, he rocked the boat 3 times and we got pounded the whole second half. I don't think it really ever calmed down.

I can't see how anyone could say Ameobi was a 'good sub'. It's baffling. He doesn't move.

Krul 9 One mistake the entire game, some top saves today.

Debuchy 5.5 Poor game. Definitely a penalty for mine, really struggled with Agbonlahor.

Saylor 7

Colo 7

Santon 6.5 Villa had a lot of joy down the left second half

Cabaye 7.5 What a strike! still a while away from finishing 90 minutes strongly

Perch 7 Was surprised to see him start ahead of Anita but he was deifnitey important in our first half dominance

Sissoko 8 Top debut! first half was amazing but wasn't involved much at all in the second half.

Gouffran 6.5 Had some good moments but barely got a touch second half.

JOnas 5.5 What is this shit I am reading about him being Man of the match?

Cisse 7 Poor movement, would just once like to see him cut in front of the defenders and make a near post run

Healthier things i could have done tonight: Stuck 500g of heroin up me arse while bathing in acid eating a deep fried kebab pizza smoking anthrax.

:lol: this is a Perfect description of the 2nd half. I can't believe I watch this sport for fun sometimes.. 

I'm now onto the theory that it's just part of some BANTER Pardew and Carver have tbh

"Haha Alan, I dickie dare you to send Ameobi on again!"

"I will John"

"You won't like"

"Yes I will you watch"

"Nee way man Alan, not this week, not again!"

"SHOLA! Warm up son!"

:lol:

Pardew's master of the self-fulfilling prophecy - he "knows" it's going to be a struggle and a "fight" in the 2nd half of these matches, and thus, invariably, it is.

How Jonas played 95 minutes I will never know - he could not have been worse, particularly after the 65 minute mark.  Completely spent, was on a yellow and was making bad decisions, don't know what he would have had to do to get subbed.

I figured Villa would have a good 45 minutes in them, they usually have throughout the season, but why we continue to make it so simple for teams to batter us I will never know.  It doesn't have to be that way.

On the positive side, Sissoko was fucking brilliant.  Big, strong, powerful - great touch, great vision - can definitely see the Yaya Toure comparison.  He was knackered late and positionally a bit off in the second half, but that was some debut and some pass to Cisse.  Gouffran very solid, good movement and appears to have a decent cross on him, that's useful. 

Can only hope we'll continue to play to the level of our opposition for the Chelsea match and fucking batter them out of nowhere.

Guest SweMatt

Krul 9 - MoM for me. Some outstanding saves.

Debuchy 5 - f-g stupid penalty to concede, exposed too many times

Coloccini 7.5 - plenty of work to do in second half, great commitment as always

S Taylor 7 - made a couple of reckless tackles within the box but good otherwise

Santon 6 - on his back foot all second half, did not link up well on the flank

Perch 6 - also a few reckless tackles. Ok, but not more. Should not be a starting player.

Sissoko 8 - fantastic first half, powerful and clever at the same time. Great pass to Cisse. Faded second half.

Cabaye 7.5 - great goal, good movement, captain material after Colo

Jonas 5 - frustrated, looked tired and lost the ball at several occasions. Should not be a starting player anymore.

Gouffran 6.5 - first half was very promising, good movement, good skills with the ball. Lost and confused in second.

Cisse 7 - ran his socks off, well taken finish for the goal.

Anita 5 - physically too weak, but then again, why is he playing up front?

Shola 4 - Should not be a squad player anymore. Please just leave the club.

Mbiwa 5 - very confused in midfield role, will adapt to the pace eventually

Great first half with two beautiful goals. To be fair though, Villa's performance in that half might have been the worst I've seen this season. In the second half, we didn't even try to retain our possession we had in the first. Some very strange subs per usual (how could Jonas stay on?) but f-k me I am so happy and relieved about the three points I can't even describe it.

Despite the pressure from Villa and our tactic of sitting too deep I was surprised that the Villa midfield got the better of our midfield. I guess Agbonlahor gave them more width and Wieman helped but I was still surprised Sissoko/Cabaye didn't get on the ball more. Jonas hurt us in the sense we could've done with someone who a) could keep the ball and b) had some pace to stretch the Villa defence and put them on the back foot. Marv/HBA should help more in these situations.

I liked the look of Gouffran. I find it very frustrating the way we come out 2nd half though, it just hands the momentum to the other team and it's happening far, far too much.

Job done, we got the win we desperately needed. We can take confidence from that and start performing better. Good opportunity to kick on, not particularly scared of Chelsea at home

The self fulfilling prophecy point is exactly right. I hate that he talks about "15 cup finals", no wonder the players are so fucking terrified and nervous about getting a win when that's what he's telling them, that performance doesn't matter as long as you win. That's not how a league works - that's why we talk about "form", something that seems beyond the manager's understanding.