Newcastle United 3 - 2 Chelsea - 02/02/13 - post-match orgasm from page 58

Rich

Beren's great post earlier summed up the game, but I will add a few views of my own.

Best game seen at SJP for years...both sides going for it and we just about shaded it for the chances and dominance we had in the first half.

The addition of the new guys has made a huge difference and both Sissoko(obviously)and Gouffran(less obviously)were instumental in this win although everyone busted a gut to get the result.

As some have said, Gouffran was a revelation up front in that he was always prepared to make runs with the ball and then come back to bolster the defence/m/f when we were under the cosh.He is far more mobile than Cisse and quicker over a distance even though he is not blessed with scorching pace and he holds the ball up well and usually finds his own man with the resultant pass. Will never score a mountain of goals but will get his share and create chances for others too. This guy was a steal if this performance is an indicator of his regular standard and he lasted the pace really well.

Sissoko was of course the star of this match - he has the best engine of any m/f player we have had since Rob Lee and reminds me of Terry Mac in many ways with his lung-bursting runs and clever play. Just Like McDermott, he will get quite a few goals, more than average for a m/f player because teams will find it difficult to track him for 90 mins. Considering this guy has just come from the French league his 2 performances so far have been a credit to his fitness and stamina.

Undoubtedly the buy of the window and may be the buy of the whole season. Will be worth an absolute fortune if he keeps this up.....

Cabaye was back to his brilliant best, undoubtedly lifted by the presence of his big mate and the new signings....he was always in the thick of it and looked a perfect example of a top midfielder, tackling and creating with equal gusto. We have some great choices in m/f now and once everyone really settles, there are few PL sides with better midfielders.

STaylor and Colo were strong at the back and needed to be in the second half - did NOT think the Colo/Ba incident was a pen, Webb got it right because Ba's head was low and Colo, as the defender, had to try to clear the ball....its a different matter from tripping or holding a forward in the box. We were lucky to get away with it though, because Ba was a whisker away from scoring..

Cisse is not yet back to his best..should have had at least one and probably 2 in the first half and we can only hope he clicks soon because up front is where we are lightest now.

Chelsea have some great players and we did well to come back after they went ahead...Mata was excellent in second half, and Lampard was always a threat. They lost their shape a bit after we eqiualized and fortunately we finished the stronger. Both our first and winning goals came at a good time, esp the last one as they had little time to respond.

Cannot finish without holding my hands up about Pardew's subs...I'm not a great fan of this guy but he did get it right today....Gouffran had run himself into the ground and needed to go and although Sissoko looked strong, he must have been shattered after all the ground he covered.

Must also credit Jonas for a fine goal and much improved display.

Fabulous entertainment and the promise of a better future as there is some real class in the side now - delighted for the fans and credit due to Ashley for once because the gamble will hopefully now pay off...even though we all knew it needed doing.

In perspective:

Reading - Scored our first set piece goal (Cabaye free kick)

Villa - First away win

Chelsea - first come-back win, back-to-back wins in 11 months.

Things are looking up.  :snod:

As we all love to be realistic about how we finish and take 1 game at a time, days like today make you love football and the possibilities. Today's mentality should be carried into every match from this point on - we have the talent and heart to take it to any team now.

Have to admit though that first 10-15 minutes after restart I was cussing Pardew for reverting to type. What followed was pure orgasmic heaven. Had not enjoyed a game like this for a long time.

Guest bimpy474

In perspective:

Villa - First away win

They are, i'm actually more pleased with the play, movement and counter attacking pace, in such contrast to what has gone before this season.

In perspective:

Villa - First away win

Just a goal from a corner next week and I'd call it a pretty perfect season.

Aye, not many times this season we can say we have played as a team and not strangers. Sissoko and Gouffran slotting effortlessly into our system was amazing to see. Sure we took plenty of positive vibes from the last couple of games.

We've got ourselves into a good platform with the last 2 games and confidence seems to be coming back. Reading, QPR, Southampton have been hitting some form recently though, and even freaking West Ham managed a win. Cautiously optimistic as long as Pardew knows how to keep the momentum going.

Getting a bit carried away tbh, we will drop some silly points before season out.

Yeah we're not suddenly going to win every single game.

I don't see anyone claiming 13 out of 13, but there's no reason for us to write off any of the remaining games (Citeh aside if they're back to full health/still in title challenge):

Spurs (a) - probably second toughest game of the 13, would strongly fancy our chances if we repeat today's efforts

Southampton (h) - their longest trip of the season, slight worry about Europa hangover but new boys can't all play

Swansea (a) - third toughest fixture for me; week after League Cup final so potential Wembley hangover for them

Stoke (h) - we know we can outplay them, Sissoko and MVM will only help us to match them for power (Walters esp)

Wigan (a) - chance to reverse last season's thrashing, all of the new faces should be bedded into the squad nicely

Citeh (a) - tough trip, Mancini wants to be within 5 points of Utd after this game.

Fulham (h) - not the best travellers (glass houses, etc)

mackems (h) - NETD, marra.

Baggies (a) - they've not got the biggest squad, will find themselves running out of steam after a superb opening half

scousers (h) - toughest home game left, a draw will most likely look a good result by this point.

west ham (a) - surely safely mid-table and seeing out the season

QPR (a) - surely relegated and seeing out the season with a group of overpaid and uninterested mercenaries

Arsenal (h) - (n)either team could be playing for something by this point.

We've been desperate for a bit of momentum all season, a couple of good wins and the energy from the new faces could have done the trick to set us on our way. As we showed in the beginning of last season and the end, once we get ourselves a head of steam we're canny at grinding out results and finding a way to get a win.

Looking at the table it's such a damn shame we didn't beat Reading. Sitting joint 10th looking on for a top half finish.

5 games time hopefully we are there.

If the last 2 results are anything to go by, we could do a bit of damage now due to how open/poor the league has been this year. A top 8 finish is suddenly very possible.

Need to sort out that awful goal difference though.

13 games left, realistically think we can expect to pick up points in all of them - maybe Citeh away is one game that could be a stretch too far but with the new boys in the squad, I genuinely don't see why they should fear anyone.

Not outside the realms of possibility that we can pick up another 25-30points. All depends if we decide to cut loose in the league and go for the wins (not got a lot to lose) and focus on the Europa league adventure.

52/55pts good enough for top 6?

I would have thought given the 6 point gap 7-6th that is not possible. 

I would settle for 10th and winning the Europa.

Are we genuine contenders for this competition? we've just beaten the european champions, what a season this could turn out to be if we won something. :)

Guest Bert Shaft

13 games left, realistically think we can expect to pick up points in all of them - maybe Citeh away

It hasn't taken people long to start getting carried away again, has it?  :iamatwat:  :D

13 games left, realistically think we can expect to pick up points in all of them - maybe Citeh away

It hasn't taken people long to start getting carried away again, has it?  :iamatwat:  :D

It's what we do.

Guest Roger Kint

How good is John Mata btw, ludicrous goal and probably the only person at Chelsea who is not a complete bellend.

John :lol:

He is fantastic though, was a bit hit & miss earlier for Chelsea but this season has really stepped up. Would be on my shortlist for player of the season, which is a very short list atm .

Merlin :thup: Particularly this bit:

Cabaye was back to his brilliant best, undoubtedly lifted by the presence of his big mate and the new signings....he was always in the thick of it and looked a perfect example of a top midfielder, tackling and creating with equal gusto. We have some great choices in m/f now and once everyone really settles, there are few PL sides with better midfielders.

Reminds me of one of Cabaye's quotes after impressing at the Euros where he said it's really much easier to play well when you're surrounded by good players. I guess it must give you a sense of freedom, when there aren't players you avoid passing to!

He's been so commanding since his return, a real leader. Should Colo still decide he wants to leave in the summer, for whatever reason (and I still don't understand the situation tbh), then I'd have no qualms about making Cabaye the captain.

Again, trying not to get carried away, but Cabaye has just been outstanding tbh. Someone on here said he goes missing in big games, and all three of our last games have been huge, and he's imposed himself on every last one of them.

Mata and I'd say lamp are are like able, but I didn't realize how much of a dick Ivanovic was. Also has a disproportionately big arse...

John Matter is just so good. He was relatively quiet but still popped up with a beautiful goal and had very neat touches.

Big fan of Gouffran. May end up being a bit of a work horse up front which can only be good for Cisse :)