What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The problem is other than mourinho and wenger i couldnt name any other manager in EPL that MUST get us better results than Pardew.

Martinez, Rodgers, Pellegrini, Laudrup, Pochettino, and Moyes would all achieve better results with better football than Pardew.

The problem is other than mourinho and wenger i couldnt name any other manager in EPL that MUST get us better results than Pardew.

Martinez, Rodgers, Pellegrini, Laudrup, Pochettino, and Moyes would all achieve better results with better football than Pardew.

I bet if you'd done that list at the start of the season you'd have had Jol in it ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

This squad is capable of the top 6 and challenging for the top 4....

With a better manager.

With Pardew, at his very best, top 8 max.

I for one consider finishing 6th a waste of time under this regime because the Europa will only get in the way of the league due to our inability to be able to successfully manage various campaigns. Qualify for Euope and we forfeit the following season basically league wise.

Guest JamesyJazz

With a couple of January signings and without picking up any serious injuries to key players then there are definite indications that we could easily be top six material.The main concern I have is that if we don't push on in the Premiership this season Cabaye,who IMO is the pivotal play maker in our side, could be persuaded to head off to clubs playing CL football.

I sincerely believe we are not far off a team that has the potential to challenge for a CL spot,not this season ,but with careful man management and more importantly a demonstration of the clubs intent to push on and actively challenge the current established (but for how long?)main clubs then we have the very cornerstones in place right now to achieve what during the disastrous relegation season would have been seen and deemed as a futile juvenile fantasy.

MA needs to do the right thing,right now and ensure that Remy is a Toon player for the foreseeable future.

We are on the brink of something special,the coming transfer window will demonstrate whether the clubs hierarchy are thinking along similar trains of thought.

Agree with JamesyJazz if MA shows some courage and vision we could be realistic CL place challengers. Sign a ST, CB & x2 wingers plus signing Remy permanently (court case permitting) may convince Cabaye to stay on. 

• 1 year later...

8th-13th & just short in the cups. An Ashley wet dream.

Pretty much. A dominant CB would have made all the difference but we aren't buying one, Colo's contract extension has put paid to that. At least the football should be a lot better though.

Right now I see us midtable at best. But I would take that if it meant we get to watch good football which I think mcclarens trying to implement.

We are desperatley short of at least centre back left back and cover at right back

I'm well past the point where I care about finishing positions and objectives and all that. I would just like to be able to watch a decent football team for a while, and not detest everything about the club.

Yep, couldn't give a flying fuck where we finish tbh.

If West Hams squad made Europe last year, this squad should be looking to do the same. You need a long consistent run of results though, I'm not sure we are there yet.

Old Trafford draw will do wonders for confidence. A win against the Gunners would make me sit up, they are there for the taking too.

Even though McClaren was far from my 1st choice it feels absolutely lovely to have a manager (coach) with some kind of ability, one that seems to be a good person and professional as well. Combined with a coaching setup that seems to know what they are doing. What a difference this makes. At least some kind of hope and excitement now.

I like the fact that we have had a bunch of difficult games to start the season. Hopefully should mean that round about the time we start rounding into form we will be able to feast on lesser teams.

If West Hams squad made Europe last year, this squad should be looking to do the same. You need a long consistent run of results though, I'm not sure we are there yet.

Old Trafford draw will do wonders for confidence. A win against the Gunners would make me sit up, they are there for the taking too.

not a great start with a sending off in the second game mind.