Haidara 8 really impressed

Cabaye 6 worked hard

Anita 7 controlled well

Obertan 4 clueless most of the game

Sissoko 6 fed off scraps worked hard

Marveaux 5 needs more possesion to influence

Ben Arfa 6 offered an outlet but missed his chance

I'm a bit bemused as to the poor ratings from some of you lot. ??? :thdn:

I thought we defended well and attacking without gusto, thought my marks reflected that. Possibly Anita could have been higher, never seen Cabaye have a quieter game although I guess a clean sheet say he was diligent.

Elliot 7 good when needed

Simpson 7 comfortable

Perch 8 class

Yanga-Mbiwa 8 class

Haidara 8 really impressed

Cabaye 6 worked hard

Anita 7 controlled well

Obertan 4 clueless most of the game

Sissoko 6 fed off scraps worked hard

Marveaux 5 needs more possesion to influence

Ben Arfa 6 offered an outlet but missed his chance

Spot on for me except Obertan probably a 3, he was fucked.

I think we'll go out in the second leg as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or winning against this lot at home, they have some very good players. Good result tonight though, especially on an artificial pitch.

Honestly, what about their performance gives you that opinion?

They look to have very good defenders with real pace. Even Sissoko had trouble getting much change out of them one on one. Plus they've got two very decent forwards in  Eto and Villiams (or whatever his name is). I think man for man we're a match, but I just think that not getting an away goal is going to cost us, because like I said, I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet when they come here.

I think we'll go out in the second leg as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet or winning against this lot at home, they have some very good players. Good result tonight though, especially on an artificial pitch.

Honestly, what about their performance gives you that opinion?

They look to have very good defenders with real pace. Even Sissoko had trouble getting much change out of them one on one. Plus they've got two very decent forwards in  Eto and Villiams (or whatever his name is). I think man for man we're a match, but I just think that not getting an away goal is going to cost us, because like I said, I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet when they come here.

we don't need to keep a clean sheet against them.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:

"It was an absolutely outstanding performance, on a pitch and in conditions that really didn't suit us.

"Our technical players played really well. We controlled the game and limited them to two shots on target and I'm delighted with that.

"We've given ourselves an opportunity to win at home and I fancy us against anybody at home. This is an optimum competition for us."

Anzhi Makhachkala's assistant coach Zeljko Petrovic:

"We played a very complicated game against a team from the Premier League.

"We are not disappointed because we played a good game, tactically a very strong game. Newcastle actually didn't play a Premier League game, they played a European game."

Their only "very good" player is Willian and he looks like he's out for the 2nd leg, Eto'o as good as he is needs service like any striker and i don't see this team based on tonight giving him it.

As a side note, seemed to me that Eto'o was playing rather deep tonight. Almost as an attacking midfielder. Traore if anyone positioned himself like a striker would.

Their only "very good" player is Willian and he looks like he's out for the 2nd leg, Eto'o as good as he is needs service like any striker and i don't see this team based on tonight giving him it.

As a side note, seemed to me that Eto'o was playing rather deep tonight. Almost as an attacking midfielder. Traore if anyone positioned himself like a striker would.

Think Willian going off meant they had to change it up. Was playing up top at the start, but yea after that dropped deeper and tried to make things happen.

I did notice that which is far removed from his strengths IMO and we seemed quite comfortable to deal with it.

Absolute s**** as a spectacle but an excellent result, and Pardew completely got it right tonight.

Thought he was spot on, set us up really well. Just got to see them off at St James.

Good result I think, but now the pressure is on us at home. We know how that goes..

Who do we have in the league the weekend after the match? Would love to throw out the top eleven with no exceptions..

wigan away

Good result I think, but now the pressure is on us at home. We know how that goes..

Who do we have in the league the weekend after the match? Would love to throw out the top eleven with no exceptions..

Quite impossible with Gouffran and Debuchy suspended and Coloccini injured tbf.

wigan away

:thup: eh rather it was someone not close to us in the league, but no excuses still

Quite impossible with Gouffran and Debuchy suspended and Coloccini injured tbf.

True enough, I guess Cisse in and no Obertan will have to do.. Will be interesting to see whether he goes with Perch again or not.

I only saw the 2nd half because the people at my work are fucking tossers, but thought it was a decent half to watch with us looking quite threatening.

I gather the first half was pure bilge then?

We defended well and they didn't really seem to be that interested in scoring. Second half was a bit better, but still quite a boring game for any neutral, I would imagine.

Pardew had it spot on today like, very brave to start with Hatem up front on his own, and even though it didn't quite work, I was happy to see it.

I did notice that which is far removed from his strengths IMO and we seemed quite comfortable to deal with it.

Except for those two cracking shots, he seemed pretty ineffective tonight.

heres a little paradox, on betfair we are slight favourites to win the game next week yet they are clear favourites to qualify. go figure  :dontknow:

Well they are through on a score draw.

heres a little paradox, on betfair we are slight favourites to win the game next week yet they are clear favourites to qualify. go figure  :dontknow:

They go through with a score draw too.

but you'd think if we were favourites to go win the game we'd be favorites to go through. on the match odds the draw is quite the outsider.

but you'd think if we were favourites to go win the game we'd be favorites to go through. on the match odds the draw is quite the outsider.

What about the odds for Anzhi/draw compared to us winning? That's what you should be looking at. If we are only slight favourites to win, then I wouldn't think it's weird at all that they are favourites to go through with the away goal rule being the way it is.