Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

I was there and went to go to the toilet at 70 mins where I was disallowed by stewards, I asked why and he pointed into the access where I saw a massive line of riot police forming.

Then they kept us in the stands for 45 mins, so thats over an hour of pissed up fans not even be able to go to the toilet.. (I saw many pissing at the top of the stands as a result)

The police were hitting people at virtually every access right before letting people out, ridiculous. I heard that one policeman was hitting people and actually got pulled back by other police due to the excessiveness. I saw plenty of people videoing the trouble, hopefully that would at the very least lead to an apology.

Those bitterness levels can't be healthy.

If you danced more samba you'd be a happier person.

http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/53e256c2614dcf580700990d0f80a244/2223%20-%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20mark_henry%20no_way_out%20the_rock%20wwf.gif

• 11 months later...

Painful memory, we really should have went through.

1-0 up away, then hitting the post and should have been 2.  Santon and Taylor then gift them the first leg.

Bossed the second leg, had that offside goal, finally got the goal, pushing on for the other and got caught on the break in the last minute.

We were unlucky with one or two things but deserved to go out; pressed the self-destruct button right after they equalised.

Second leg could've gone differently, especially if we'd decided to attack before the 65th minute.

Both games provided some rare excitement in that season, though. I can't remember the last time I was pumped for a game like I was that second leg. Good thing we don't want to be in it any more.

We were undone by moments of madness more than anything but we were so toothless at the time. That first leg remember it seeming doubly harsh as Cisse looked closest he'd ever come to regaining any form, then was denied by post and it was gone again

That run from Ben Arfa when he dribbled past a few and got into a great shooting position but then blasted the shot over the bar. That was the opportunity I thought could have took us through. Was a brave effort overall but we didn't do ourselves any favours in that first leg especially.

1-0 up away, then hitting the post and should have been 2.  Santon and Taylor then gift them the first leg.

Bossed the second leg, had that offside goal, finally got the goal, pushing on for the other and got caught on the break in the last minute.

That Cisse shot off the post is one of the most painful misses I've ever witnessed. Standing behind that goal, it just looked so slow, but so certain to be going in til right at the end, everyone was gasping, knees slightly bent, ready to go mental. Ar man.

Spurs effectively go out of the Europa at home to Benfica, then have a big derby to come. Put your savings on an Arsenal 3-0 win.

That Cisse shot off the post is one of the most painful misses I've ever witnessed. Standing behind that goal, it just looked so slow, but so certain to be going in til right at the end, everyone was gasping, knees slightly bent, ready to go mental. Ar man.

Still gutted I launched my half eaten hotdog in celebration when it looked like it was going in. :lol:

Really don't remember us bossing second leg. Remember Pardew deciding to put the team to attacking with 20 minutes to go and Benfica being in control for most of the game until those 20minutes. Pardew was relying on us scoring twice in the last 20, which was close to paying off, but which is also a ridiculous decision.

Really don't remember us bossing second leg. Remember Pardew deciding to put the team to attacking with 20 minutes gone and Benfica being in control for most of the game until those 20minutes. Pardew was relying on us scoring twice in the last 20, which was close to paying off, but which is also a ridiculous decision.

Aye, the first half was a total bore. We got the goal in the second when a chubby HBA came on. Too little too late though.

Our game-plan in the 2nd leg was the worst approach I've seen from a manager of NUFC. Pardew The Coward summed up.

Destroy the game for 65 minutes, then go for it. Bigirimana RM.

(Could've worked if Hatem had scored just before they won it though, still shit mentality mind)

Our game-plan in the 2nd leg was the worst approach I've seen from a manager of NUFC. Pardew The Coward summed up.

Destroy the game for 65 minutes, then go for it. Bigirimana RM.

(Could've worked if Hatem had scored just before they won it though, still s*** mentality mind)

Either way he approached it fans wouldn't have been happy. If we scored early, we would have been backs against the wall. We contained them instead then grew into the game as it went on. He was never going all out attack start to finish and probably never will. Always look to make it a more of a tactical affair and look towards the cautious side of things.