Benfica or mackems. Which is More Important?

MyPalAl
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heart says Benfica, head says Mackems.

League has to take priority, I don't buy all this talk that we're safe, people were making noises like that at the end of February but we found ourselves right back in the shit.  If we beat Benfica though, it will give everyone at the club a massive lift - another awesome European night at SJP and the place would be buzzing.

Benfica. Easily.

Whilst I value local rivalries, the notion that this game could be more important than a European QF is insane, especially given today's results pretty much mean were safe.

Benfica,  the next game is ALWAYS the most important.

But he's asking a hypothetical question if we were sure to beat the Mackems and lose to Benfica.  I don't think that sentiment really applies here.

Until we are mathematically safe the league is priority. Europa league progress is a bonus, as much as we all lust for silverware.

If we lose on Thursday it could be a helluva while before we get this close to a trophy. If we lose on Sunday we're still going to be in a fairly strong position to stay up.

Have to say I'm bewildered that people would rather beat the mackems in a home league game than get to a semi-final of a cup and get another european away day. Seems small time.

:lol: We're not safe from relegation and it's an entirely hypothetical situation anyway.

I'm aware of how the universe works, thanks. (Well, as much as necessary to understand the nature of hypothetical question).

I think with 5 points and 5 teams below us we're very safe, and find it very strange that people wouldnt want to be so close to a cup final. We play the mackems twice almost every year, our last european semi was almost 10 years ago and to me, anyway, there's nowt better in football than a european away game, especially in later stages.  And I want a f***ing trophy, we can make up for losing to the mackems, Benfica and that's it, not even another chance next year or for god knows how long.

Until we are mathematically safe the league is priority. Europa league progress is a bonus, as much as we all lust for silverware.

If we lose on Thursday it could be a helluva while before we get this close to a trophy. If we lose on Sunday we're still going to be in a fairly strong position to stay up.

Each to their own. I personally would feel 10x worse if we lose sunday than I would if we got knocked out Thursday. Can't be having fucking Sunderland getting anything man.

Benfica. Easily.

Whilst I value local rivalries, the notion that this game could be more important than a European QF is insane, especially given today's results pretty much mean were safe.

But in this situation he is saying a win for Benfica means a mackem win I think. If the mackems beat us this weekend and other results go against us we're right back in the thick of it.

Heart says Benfica, head says Mackems.

League has to take priority, I don't buy all this talk that we're safe, people were making noises like that at the end of February but we found ourselves right back in the s***.  If we beat Benfica though, it will give everyone at the club a massive lift - another awesome European night at SJP and the place would be buzzing.

Agreed. Still a long way to go and that's whats affecting my answer to the question.

I am fairly comfortable in the league and Europa is the only glory we have left even if I don't think it's likely.

If I lived in the North East I might be a little more torn but given my only real exposure to that lot it will be far less annoying if they beat us even if it will still be shite.

They'd be 2 points behind us man and we go to west brom after that, keep in mind how crap our away record is. We'd be nowhere near out of it.

Yes, but Wigan, Stoke, Villa and Norwich are also behind. Obviously not completely safe, but we're least likely of 5 teams going for 1 spot.

I wouldn't take a hypothetical draw if it meant getting through to the hypothetical semis, cos I've every confidence we can beat both. I'm extremely pumped for Thursday, and typically confident that we'll do the Mackems.

I'm conflicted. Just can't see us stopping them from scoring at ours. Our players looked absolutely shattered today so I'm not sure what's going to happen after another tough game mid week.

Ideally we start with our strongest team, if we concede a few we sub off Sissoko and a few other important players and let Campbell and others have a shot.

Also I think we'll have to really come out pf the tracks against the mackems, get the crowed going and utterly demoralise them before the second half and we get tired.