Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

:clap:

Went out to a better team in a worthily manner. Undeserved but that's football. They have too much quality across and we gave them two extremely difficult ties. :clap:

Spot on :thup:

Yep heartbreaking but Benfica are very good, though their players could do without the playacting.

On the other hand, how sexy does Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, and Cabaye all on the pitch together look

If we played with the same urgency we showed in those 15 min.. Oh well, its been fun. I just ask Benfica to please beat Chelsea. Please.

They would have scored earlier if we played like we did in the last 20. Can't believe I'm going to say this, but Pards tactics worked very well.

Benfica can f*** right off. Well done on all the cheating and time wasting. Disgusting. Hope you get battered in the next round.

This isn't 100% fear, NUFC also lost time in Estádio da Luz.

But you guys are in pieces, and I am truly sorry for you because you're such a great bunch of people.

I am really sorry you guys are out, I just hope everyone still gets along after this because I am not planning to leave.

For my side, the best part of the 1/4 finals was to meet all of you  O0

Nowt against the fans Jotenko. The players you have are an utter disgrace, namely Perez and that fuckwit of a goalkeeper. Believe me, your team plays good enough football to do without all the cheating. It would be understandable at least if your team was s***, but it isn't. It's f***ing embarrassing.

It would be the same thing if you played Porto. Or Sporting. Or Braga. Or.. or... or...

It's a matter of culture.

No doubt yours is better.

But things are what they are.

However, if you want to have a fair discussion, you'll have to admit that NUFC also lost some time at Lisbon.

It is just footballing culture. I agree with you and there is plenty of unpleasantness on display every weekend in the Premier League. 

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

:facepalm: People on here blame Pardew for every single last thing.

We were knocked out by a better team but we held our own and put in a great effort. So near yet so far in the end, could have been so much different with just a bit of luck, like Cissé's shots going in and not hitting the post last week.

Benfica can f*** right off. Well done on all the cheating and time wasting. Disgusting. Hope you get battered in the next round.

This isn't 100% fear, NUFC also lost time in Estádio da Luz.

But you guys are in pieces, and I am truly sorry for you because you're such a great bunch of people.

I am really sorry you guys are out, I just hope everyone still gets along after this because I am not planning to leave.

For my side, the best part of the 1/4 finals was to meet all of you  O0

Nowt against the fans Jotenko. The players you have are an utter disgrace, namely Perez and that fuckwit of a goalkeeper. Believe me, your team plays good enough football to do without all the cheating. It would be understandable at least if your team was s***, but it isn't. It's f***ing embarrassing.

It would be the same thing if you played Porto. Or Sporting. Or Braga. Or.. or... or...

It's a matter of culture.

No doubt yours is better.

But things are what they are.

However, if you want to have a fair discussion, you'll have to admit that NUFC also lost some time at Lisbon.

I'll have to watch the whole thing again because I don't recall any of our players diving around like nancies when barely touched. Sure Krul would have taken too long taking a free-kick or two, but nothing more from memory.

Either way, it's been wonderful having you guys on these boards, and I hope you stick around. I also hope you'll have a new soft spot for NUFC, especially this coming Sunday.

Great effort in the tournament, we've been beaten by a better team but given them two tough ties.  Like everyone i didn't appreciate Benfica's diving and time wasting but that is football unfortunately.

Well done lads.

Gutted but optimistic for the future. We look a much better side in the final third when we've got Marv, HBA and Sissoko out there. Not the night for negatives, I feel, just disappointment.

FT: Fuck off Pardew

I'd normally agree. But he had the tactics spot on. Would've got murdered pressing for the goals the whole 90

Bingo. I've slated Pardew for most of the season for the negative stuff but I can completely understand how we played tonight. Any Benfica goal killed the tie stone dead, going hell for leather from the off would have left too much space at the back. We clearly got the first and threw everything at them to get the second and had Benfica on the ropes. We just couldn't quite finish the job and get the second goal.

We were forced to show a bit of restraint due to being 2 goals down from the first leg, it wasn't like we started the tie at 0-0 tonight. No blame attached to Pardew tonight from me.

Guest ovesbar

Tactics were spot on imo. If we had gone all out attack from the beginning, the game would have been dead a long time before 93 mins.

Not sure who loads of you think we've got playing for us :lol: Injury riddled squad and we gave a very good team a good game, just couldn't get that second goal. Thought pards got it spot on tbh. Howay let's stuff the mackems and look forward to next season.

After some of the stuff we played tonight I'll be disappointed if we don't manage to beat the mackems by a good few goals. Think the players will be really up for it after tonight.

:facepalm: People on here balme Pardew for every single last thing.

We were knocked out by a better team but we held our own and put in a great effort. So near yet so far in the end, could have been so much different with just a bit of luck, like Cissé's shots going in and not hitting the post last week.

It wasn't Pardew's fault today or last week. Nor were Benfica the better team. They were given 2 goals last week, they cheated all last week, they cheated tonight, we should have had 2-3 penalties in the 2nd half alone.

Pardew is a shit manager, but he did well in the tactics we played in the Benfica games.

If we played with the same urgency we showed in those 15 min.. Oh well, its been fun. I just ask Benfica to please beat Chelsea. Please.

They would have scored earlier if we played like we did in the last 20. Can't believe I'm going to say this, but Pards tactics worked very well.

They did tbf and people moaning about attacking from the off obviously know nothing about the game

Such a shame for those two stupid goals conceded in Lisbon, we put in a massive performance and deserved to week this evening in my opinion, lets just hope we can kick on from here and put in a similar performance on Sunday and get the points.