Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

Those free kicks of ours, we could play them short 20 yards and play the ball in from there, Benfica back right off, for us to not if try is mental. You get a better angle and a less lofted ball.

It's utterly brainless play.

And they break and nearly fecking score from one!, all from this daft floated free kick, taken by our keeper!

The offside goal has actually given me some hope. That run timed half a second better and we would be in a pretty good position right now.

Hope Ben Arfa and Marveaux are fit enough for a good run out second half.

Same. If that had of stood then I would be delighted right now. However you cant forget that they've had many chances themselves to score

Guest Spark

If you think we should be solely aiming to not concede in the first half then you're off your rocker tbh. We have 90 minutes to score two goals and we need to use every one of those minutes to get back in this tie. Otherwise we're going to limp out.

I don't understand why people are pissed at our lack of attacking threat. If anybody watched the interview with Pards before the game he said he'd be happy if it was 0-0 at 70 minutes. That's our game plan, now let's see what happens.

Once again reiterating how crap Bigi is, he's not premiership level, woeful.

Don't agree whatsoever, been decent. Better than Jonas (who does the dirty work tbf). No one has played bad ffs it's just the gameplan is too conservative and that needs change.

I don't understand why people are p*ssed at our lack of attacking threat. If anybody watched the interview with Pards before the game he said he'd be happy if it was 0-0 at 70 minutes. That's our game plan, now let's see what happens.

Like last season when we hit the slump. Just put Benny on and I guess that's what he'll do in the 70th...

We are going out without a whimper.

Any criticism of Bigi tonight is harsh as he clearly isn't a wide midfielder. Bizarre from Pardew to choose to play him there.

I'd give Marveaux a full half and look to introduce Ben Arfa after an hour.

Once again reiterating how crap Bigi is, he's not premiership level, woeful.

What are you on? he's an 18 year old centre midfielder playing on the wing and has set our two best chances up. Cabaye's looking off the boil like would rather take him off and rest him for sunday.

cant believe some of the twisting in here, If we went gung ho for 90 mins we would go out no doubt about it- this way I guarantee we will attack them hard for the last half hour and they will crack.

I can't remember us EVER going gung ho under Pardew for 45mins, let alone 90. It simply doesn't happen, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree a bit there.

Cut him some slack, he's still recovering from the shock of us not completely demolishing Fulham.

I think i was blinded by our play, it was fairly ugly.

Some of the passing was nice at times, thanks mainly to Haidara/Jonas/Sissoko (all three have been fantastic)... it's the occasional lofted ball forward to nowhere which is seriously irksome. It never, ever works when all we've got up there is Cisse, so I wish we'd just cut it out. It screams clueless-ness, and we needn't resort to it when some of our passing play has been very neat and tidy.

Guest bimpy474

Those free kicks of ours, we could play them short 20 yards and play the ball in from there, Benfica back right off, for us to not if try is mental. You get a better angle and a less lofted ball.

It's utterly brainless play.

And they break and nearly fecking score from one!, all from this daft floated free kick, taken by our keeper!

Yep, the chance is there to play it short and run 20 yards before playing it in as well, but no we still just hoof it with no chance of winning it. Ever.

It's just embarrassing, a Sunday League team would come up with something better.

I don't understand why people are pissed at our lack of attacking threat. If anybody watched the interview with Pards before the game he said he'd be happy if it was 0-0 at 70 minutes. That's our game plan, now let's see what happens.

Exactly. Fair enough some fans would rather we just went at them and fuck the consequences, but Pardew's approach is obvious. We'll see if it works.

Footballers like and need a clear job to do in general. Our job is a lot clearer now there's only 45 mins to go. We'll see if they can execute.

Pardew even told everyone we would try and keep them out then attack for the last 20mins- why are they even crying, why not wait and see.