Alan Pardew

Mike

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mike-ashley-silent-as-alan-pardew-protests-for-his-players-8601852.html

Alan Pardew was in defiant mood and insisted Newcastle United's recent slump and mounting pressure on his position would not break him.

The Newcastle manager revealed he had not spoken to club owner Mike Ashley since the 6-0 defeat to Liverpool last Saturday increased their vulnerability to a second relegation in five seasons.

But he also took issue with Gary Neville's views that the Newcastle squad is too unbalanced because of the number of French players in it. Questions have similarly been raised about dressing-room unity in light of the crushing defeat against Liverpool and before that against local rivals Sunderland.

"A lot of criticism has come our way, some of it completely unfounded and left-field," he said. "It's insulting if you think because a player is from a foreign country they are not bothered. It is ridiculous. Of course they are bothered. Our professionalism is on the line.

"As far as I am concerned, the group is pulling together to get a result and the fact we have a lot of French players and some language difficulty has been torn up and made to be something else. There is no problem. Some of the wildfire has been way off the mark. There have not been words out of turn. If you don't get feedback from the players you are not going to be a manager at any level.

"I understand you get all sorts of accusations thrown at you. There's not much you can do. You can deny them but it might add fuel to the flames. Sometimes you don't know whether to fight some issues or just let them ride. The bottom line is when you get beaten 6-0, you are going to get criticism."

During a difficult week for the club ahead of a vital game at West Ham tomorrow, the representatives of one national newspaper have been banned by Newcastle for writing about dressing-room disharmony. Pardew said that had nothing to do with him: "I have not been part of anyone or any media source being banned or anything like that. For me, you've got to get on with it. We've had a lot of criticism this week and I've had a lot of criticism this week personally.

"When you have a day like that, you just embrace your family. They try and offer you words of comfort and support which unfortunately don't really work too well. Then you don't sleep well, you get up, you think about it a bit more. If you think that a football manager after the season we've had or a defeat like that [losing 6-0] is not worried about every aspect of his team and his staff, then you're sadly mistaken. I worry about how many sugars Yohan Cabaye has got in his tea, for goodness sake!

"That's the level you want to try and get to, in order to put it right. No one will break my spirit in terms of trying to do that."

Pardew reacted to Neville's criticism, although he did concede there is a language barrier at Newcastle that needs to be addressed. "Has he been a manager?" Pardew said, before adding: "I do think he has a point. I have said many times that we would like to produce our own players but he also made a very valid point about the inflationary prices you get for English-based players here. Maybe some realism needs to come into that market.

"I have to be honest, I would like to have levels of communication greater than they are in terms of 'is our message and the message of my staff getting through 100 per cent'? We hope it is and hopefully at West Ham it will. We've used different forms and will change it if we feel it's necessary.

"Cabaye made a point to me this week. He said that when he arrived he didn't have an interpreter and therefore learned English that bit quicker. We've used an interpreter because we've got so many new guys who don't understand the language.

"It's like trying to get that balance right of actually forcing them to learn the language – but we do need to understand what their problem is. So there's a balance to get right."

http://i.imgur.com/GpIvmpS.gif

That's the reason mourinho likes the British press compared to Spain and Italy as the press do their jobs on those countries and press managers on everything tactics the lot.  In England they do just about f*** all hence why they love anyone who can give them a sound bite.

:thup:

The press will do just do anything to avoid alienating the manager. Never bite the hand that feeds you etc. It just seems to be accepted that you don't undermine him. Undermine the players, the fans, anyone else. They don't provide your soundbites or interviews. OK, some players do, but alienate one and others will still talk or you can alienate them generically rather than specifically thereby avoiding direct confrontation, a la the recent "split in the dressing room" articles.

But no manager is EVER called out over his tactics. Which is a crying shame as plenty of them could do with it, our present incumbent being top of the list. They should be held far more accountable for their actions.

This - Dalglish was hostile to the press and they wanted him out from Day 1 because of it.

They managed it with negative reporting - and his own dour tactics - and he was fired after 2 games in season 98-99 without us losing one of them...contrast this with the dire football we have seen under Pardew - even worse than that under Dalglish - and the fact that he is till there after we have lost 2 important home matches with a 9-0 deficit as well as shipping goals freely in away games with only ONE win away all season.

Dalglish would have been crucified if he had had the same record as Pardew......

"I have to be honest, I would like to have levels of communication greater than they are in terms of 'is our message and the message of my staff getting through 100 per cent'? We hope it is and hopefully at West Ham it will. We've used different forms and will change it if we feel it's necessary.

"Cabaye made a point to me this week. He said that when he arrived he didn't have an interpreter and therefore learned English that bit quicker. We've used an interpreter because we've got so many new guys who don't understand the language.

"It's like trying to get that balance right of actually forcing them to learn the language – but we do need to understand what their problem is. So there's a balance to get right."

That quote there fills me with apprehension. I find it staggering that a manager isn't sure whether he and his coaching staff are able to communicate to his footballers what's required after having so many French players in his team for over a year. He's clearly shitting his pants before the West Ham game as well as he's "hoping" that he'll be able to get his message across before that game. I can't think of a better argument for having a foreign manager who is multi-lingual, or at least one who has enough sense to hire coaching staff that are. Looks like we are going into tomorrow's match on a wing and a proayer.

That quote there fills me with apprehension. I find it staggering that a manager isn't sure whether he and his coaching staff are able to communicate to his footballers what's required after having so many French players in his team for over a year. He's clearly shitting his pants before the West Ham game as well as he's "hoping" that he'll be able to get his message across before that game. I can't think of a better argument for having a foreign manager who is multi-lingual, or at least one who has enough sense to hire coaching staff that are. Looks like we are going into tomorrow's match on a wing and a proayer.

Pochettino has come into a squad not speaking a word of English and has them playing some superb stuff. Shit explanation from a shit manager.

I'm sure that's been very paraphrased, but it's a common theme at St James when the pressure is on. Any attempted pass that results in a turnover of possession is met with something between audible sighs of exasperation and uncontrollable howls of derision. We tend to get a bit bipolar if things aren't going our way.

Yeah, it's not responsible for our form though, or we'd be relegated every season.

Pochettino has come into a squad not speaking a word of English and has them playing some superb stuff. s*** explanation from a s*** manager.

:sadnod:

It's fucking obvious why they don't do it. They ask him questions that don't directly blame him so that he continues to talk to them.

Call a manager useless and he'll stop talking to you. Call his players useless and he'll get angry and disagree with you but continue dialogue.

Still, as a fan it's shit. They're not asking the questions that I want them to ask, that NEED to be asked.

So why not take advantage of Luke Edwards' banning and have him ask these tough questions (via Twitter). If he's already on the outside, then he might find himself selling papers (or getting hits) from crticising Pardew or even spearheading a "Pardew Out" campaign. The southern media will jump on board once a lead has been made...

S'hampton are playing even more expansive football than before...They stream forward when they have the ball and seem to play without fear.

pardew has our players so wound up about the opposition's strengths that i feel they come out at home to teams like reading fearing a drubbing and hoping to nick a lucky winner.

Cheeky bastards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10034281/Newcastle-Uniteds-attack-on-The-Telegraph-leaves-world-holding-its-breath.html

Newcastle United's attack on The Telegraph leaves world holding its breath

The last thing anyone responsible would do, at this stage of the dispute that has led to Newcastle United banning our reporter, Luke Edwards, and Telegraph Sport from every part of that club, is risk aggravating a highly incendiary situation.

Newcastle United's attack on the Telegraph leaves world holding its breath

Desperately fraught times such as these demand cool heads and soft words.

We have moved with mortifying speed to DefCon 2, and the imperative is to avoid escalating the conflict beyond the point of no return. Many of you will be reminded of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and it is to JFK’s calm and resolute spirit that we turn for our guide.

On this basis, it would be folly to risk further offending the delicate sensibilities of Derek Llambias, Newcastle’s managing director, by referring to him as the Nikita Khrushchev of Tyneside.

For one thing, there is no record of Llambias theatrically banging a shoe on a table at the United Nations. For another, it remains too soon to predict whether he will be the one to blink first.

Admittedly, the Telegraph held its nerve during another freedom of speech dispute not long ago, when No 10 tried to spook it out of reporting a cabinet minister’s questionable expenses claims with oblique yet menacing references to the Leveson kaleidoscope being in flux.

But where the threats of Downing Street are lightly brushed off, exclusion from St James’ Park is a concern of a very different order. Especially so with as many as one Premier League game to be played there before the season is out.

Next season, of course, there may be no Premier League fixtures at all. With Newcastle’s form in freefall, there is a fair chance of relegation.

One both understands the strain on Llambias, and applauds the dignity with which he is handling it.

The story which so distressed concerned a dressing-room schism. Armed with as few as four independent sources, three within the club, Luke reported that elements in the squad suspect the French contingent of a laissez-faire approach to the prospect of the drop, and of undermining their manager Alan Pardew.

Luke was accused of false rumour-mongering, and a solicitor’s letter was sent demanding an apology and the report’s removal from the website. I have to tell you that no such undertakings have been offered, and that consequently this newspaper is at war with Newcastle United.

How long it will endure is unknowable, though we expect it to be over long before Christmas. Perhaps a precedent will be helpful. In 2007, after a sequence of columns gently questioning his competence, Tottenham Hotspur’s hyper-cerebral Chairman Daniel Levy (he took a Cambridge First in the legendarily demanding discipline of Land Economy) imposed an identically draconian ban on me and the London Evening Standard.

Almost six years later, the residual post-traumatic stress makes it tough to write about this episode. On its own, the memory of going to White Hart Lane in a burka, to avoid detection by the SWAT teams posted at every turnstile, necessitates a medicinal nip of Famous Grouse before I can continue.

Having swigged, I can report that the Levy fatwa was greeted with a level of ridicule which, though I found it unseemly, persuaded Levy to abandon it after a few weeks. The result, I like to think, was an honourable draw, and there has not been an angry word – or indeed any word – between us since.

Fanciful as this may seem while we remain enveloped by the fog of war, I have hopes that the present dispute will have an even happier outcome. The bonding power of the siege mentality on a divided dressing room is well known, and if Pardew can persuade his players, French and otherwise, that they are all victims of the most wicked Telegraph persecution, it could prove their salvation.

In that event, I trust hostilities will be suspended, and the world will breathe its loudest collective sigh of relief since Khrushchev removed his warheads from Cuba. One small request, finally, should this come to pass.

The next time Llambias and his friend and chairman, Mike Ashley, delight the Toon army by renaming the ground, in succession to the romantic if brief flirtation with the “Sports Direct Arena”, they should repay the debt by calling it the Luke Edwards Freedom of Speech Stadium.

I'd keep them bloody well banned.

From the writers page - Matthew Norman is a former British Press Awards winner as both Columnist and Food and Drink Writer of the Year.

Say no more. 

That's hilarious. :lol:

Not sure who's coming out of this looking more pitiful tbh.

Unless they are willing to name names, it's pretty obviously the ones writing spurious drivel about our players then getting all shirty.

I never remember my dreams, but I actually dreamt last night that I logged onto here to see the top thread saying "Pardew walks". Pretty sad that I'm dreaming of an internet forum, but I was so happy for a short period of time :lol: