Alan Pardew

Mike

The wealthy clubs finish better off.  The more frugal clubs finish worse off.

Tells you something about how the clubs are set up to cope with the demands of Europa.

Clubs much poorer than us coped much better than we have this year though.

You can add to your team without spending, we've spent little but spent well.

So some teams finish a place or 2 worse off, some finish a place or 2 better off, some finish miles off because they're shite. I imagine you would see similar patterns if you were to look at teams fluctuating league positions without Europe too.

The wealthy clubs finish better off.  The more frugal clubs finish worse off.

Tells you something about how the clubs are set up to cope with the demands of Europa.

Clubs much poorer than us coped much better than we have this year though.

It probably is the case but it's only really the top clubs in which it can be measure. 13th isn't really worse than 12th for example, not in the same way that 6th is worse than 5th and 5th worse than 4th, they are genuine targets where it usually comes down to quality being the difference.

We saw how much of a clusterfuck the bottom half of the league is yesterday, it just comes down to who was slightly shitter than who, we could just as easily have finished 17th as we could have 10th.

The Europa League is his ultimate straw man.  How anybody would buy into that is beyond me.  Of course we've gone through the Age of Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, and now an Information Revolution, and people still believe that the world is 7000 years old...

Absolutely scandalous if we arent looking into replacing Pardew with Benitez. Rafa wants to stay in the premiership and he is looking for a project, he likely wont go to Everton given his Liverpool links.

We constantly talk about how we are frugal with our spending but if the opportunity comes along to get a fantastic player then we will look at it. We have to be doing the same with Benitez.

That said if the worst happens, which is looking increasingly likely..what can be done to help the team next season with Pardew still here. Will adding another coach be enough? Who realistically are we going to bring on board, David Platt?

Absolutely scandalous if we arent looking into replacing Pardew with Benitez. Rafa wants to stay in the premiership and he is looking for a project, he likely wont go to Everton given his Liverpool links.

We constantly talk about how we are frugal with our spending but if the opportunity comes along to get a fantastic player then we will look at it. We have to be doing the same with Benitez.

That said if the worst happens, which is looking increasingly likely..what can be done to help the team next season with Pardew still here. Will adding another coach be enough? Who realistically are we going to bring on board, David Platt?

I agree with what you've said here, but I don't think Benitez's past with Liverpool would prevent him from going to Everton. It didn't prevent him from going to Chelsea (yes, I know Chelsea and Everton have different relationships to Liverpool). But I think it's more likely he won't go to Everton due to their lack of funding than anything.

Newcastle is absolutely his best choice if he wants to stay in the PL. Arguably the most to work with already and an owner who has shown a willingness to spend in the transfer market. Benitez coming here would depend on Ashley's willingness to pay him/give him the kind of autonomy he wants.

A change in coach(s) won't make one s**** of difference, just another diversionary tactic to avert the heat firmly on Pardew's arse right now. If there was such concern about training techniques that could have been rectified midseason without much disturbance to the team. It's only since these possibilities have been brought to light that he's added it to his ever expanding list of bullshit excuses. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I heard Pardew has mentioned replacing coach(s) ahead of next season?

Completely agree btw, someone needs to be crucified if we haven't at least enquirer about the possibility of him managing us and what his demands would be if we were to take an interest. Massive, massive improvement on what we have, exponentially! Ashley has shown he's a man of opportunity so don't get why he wouldn't.

Guest bimpy474

Europa, FA, League Cup, none of them had fuck all to do with us playing the shite football.

There is not an excuse in the world for the poor football, not one.

Europa, FA, League Cup, none of them had f*** all to do with us playing the s**** football.

We should all be thankful of Pardew for doing so shit in the cups and keeping us out of the top half of the table, we could have had to be dealing with that pesky Europe thing again, getting in the way of us winning matches and finishing at the top half of the table so we can get.......in.......... Never mind!

Just me, or does Chris Hughton come across as a more likeable manager? Feels like the squad was more positive, united and had a greater will at achieving things under his management...

Fulham got to the final in the only year even comparable to us. They also got to the 6th round of the FA Cup (and played a replay) amongst their 63 matches. I'm sure they'd have settled for that before the season started.

Just me, or does Chris Hughton come across as a more likeable manager? Feels like the squad was more positive, united and had a greater will at achieving things under his management...

We had belief, confidence and a never say die attitude. None of this giving up in the second half, we fought tooth and nail until the final whistle. Wasn't always pretty and we had a few cloggers but I preferred it to the dross we serve up these days. Plus Hughton was a genuine, decent bloke.

We had belief, confidence and a never say die attitude. None of this giving up in the second half, we fought tooth and nail until the final whistle. Wasn't always pretty and we had a few cloggers but I preferred it to the dross we serve up these days. Plus Hughton was a genuine, decent bloke.

This, we had just started to click on the pitch and had a great spirit off it. Downside was from all reports the players had too much power and influence on the team and Hughton's decisions. We haven't looked more threatening attacking wise since then that much is for sure. We did briefly tighten up at the back better though.

He was far more likeable although his fence sitting was sometimes irritating. I think we would have outgrown him in the same way we have Pardew though.

This is interesting considering his Norwich side ended on 44 points. Three points above Newcastle.

I dare to say that most people here think we have a better squad than Norwich....

If all the games in the league ended after 45 minutes we'd have finished above Spurs....

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/fsthalf.html

More of a whole club rather than just Pardew article but: -

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tbawe.html

SOMETHING BETTER CHANGE

19th May 2013

Hmmm...

So there goes the 2012/13 season. By common consensus a complete and total waste of time! If you thought paying for a season ticket would provide a return in terms of excitement and entertainment, you were sadly mistaken. Our PL form was abysmal, finishing the season with three successive home defeats, 10 goals conceded with none scored and rank performances as bad as any witnessed by old timers and newbies over many years. Full house signs posted for each of those games too. Whatever is going wrong at Newcastle United, it can’t be laid at the door of the supporters, whose patience and stoicism this season has been remarkable. Fifth top to fifth bottom? Quite a collapse eh?

We’ve witnessed some shocking defending and had our worst ever season in the PL for conceding goals. Going forward we’ve looked toothless and creatively we’ve been appalling. The stats don’t lie. We’ve played a brand of hoof-ball that would have had Allardyce hung by the knackas from the top of the East Stand and which is simply not the Newcastle United way. Our play from set-pieces has been beyond a joke and our passing, movement, pressing and strength as a unit non-existent.

We’ve flirted with relegation and I believe that but for the strains and stresses of an FAC win for Wigan, we might have been relegated.

Tactically, we have looked inept.

For the third season in succession we’ve bowed out of the FAC with as gutless a performance as you are likely to see at Brighton. We provided no surprise away to Man Utd in the LC.

High points have been rare – Spurs and Chelsea at home and that’s about it. We had a few decent outings in the Europa League but nowt to write home about really.

By every possible measure, a s*** season with disillusionment at the so-called direction of the club and big questions about the ability of the manager and his coaching team to deliver anything but the same next season!

No-one is above criticism.

The manager has spoken about a collective failure. He is of course correct. We drifted into this season having finished fifth this time last season. There was talk about the Champions League. Talk which now appears utterly deluded!

The boardroom has been stunk out with complacency, a crippling absence of ambition and football nous. For the inertia of last summer being so catastrophic we once again wonder what on earth Ashley is doing at Newcastle United. To bring stability? Big ambition that like.

The manager is now talking about bringing in experienced players to play alongside the bright young players we have at the club. Players like Kevin Nolan, perhaps? Or retaining the colossus of Coloccini, whose absence has almost led to ruination this season?

How much you can rely on the statements of Alan Pardew about what will happen this summer is open to question. The manager is sorely undermined by his previous comments and then what has actually happened. A big part of me feels for the manager having to work with Ashley and Llambias, who I can’t help but feel are semi-detached from the club and run it all as a bolt-on to Sports Direct. 

Last summer we heard about players being lined up to arrive in NE1 and that didn’t happen. Now he is talking about experienced players off the game-plan of young players whose value will increase. What happens is anyone’s guess.

Besides all that, I’m in no hurry to change the manager. The fact remains that had we managed another 3 wins we’d have been perceived to have had a decent PL campaign. I’m in no hurry to change the manager because I don’t believe Ashley/Llambias could bring in a top coach to work within the strait jacket they would fit any new coach with. Rafa Benitez? Aye, right.

There is a lot of talk about stability. That’s all rubbish. We need to win football matches in the PL to avoid the kind of finish that is ludicrous for a club of our stature. We also want to have a squad that is capable to have a go in the cups.

There is much work to do this summer. Whether it will happen is open to debate.

Keep On, Keepin’ On …

Follow Michael on twitter@tfeditor1892

Guest bimpy474

Europa, FA, League Cup, none of them had f*** all to do with us playing the s**** football.

We should all be thankful of Pardew for doing so shit in the cups and keeping us out of the top half of the table, we could have had to be dealing with that pesky Europe thing again, getting in the way of us winning matches and finishing at the top half of the table so we can get.......in.......... Never mind!

Yes, lets have no Europa so we can qualify for the Europa.....oh wait...

Fed up our the cunts in print who claim to represent the fans. Not one of them wants to actually point the finger at individuals. Cowardly fucking pricks, the lot of them.

They haven't got a choice tbf, the club has forced them into a corner with their zero-tolerance reaction to coverage that is even remotely negative.