Alan Pardew

Mike

Just me, or does Chris Hughton come across as a more likeable manager? Feels like the squad was more positive, united and had a greater will at achieving things under his management...

We had belief, confidence and a never say die attitude. None of this giving up in the second half, we fought tooth and nail until the final whistle. Wasn't always pretty and we had a few cloggers but I preferred it to the dross we serve up these days. Plus Hughton was a genuine, decent bloke.

:thup:

Honestly, what does he say at halftime? I can't even imagine how it goes at this point. He would have sucked the belief out of the Nazi's in 15 minutes. At least then it would have been for some good.

Heydrich: "After hearing Herr Pardew's case for the final solution to the Jewish problem, we are now utterly convinced that the cause is unjust, and call for the immediate closure of concentration camps, and the reinstatement of their citizenship and properties.  Our bad."

Honestly, what does he say at halftime? I can't even imagine how it goes at this point. He would have sucked the belief out of the Nazi's in 15 minutes. At least then it would have been for some good.

I'm starting to believe it's something like "What again!? They've already played 45 minutes ffs!".

[footballmanager]

I’m pleased with how things are going, keep it up

[/footballmanager]

I'd guess there's some general guff about keeping it tight, winning 2nd balls, etc.  Nothing specific, no plans in case the opposition come out to play a different formation, no plans to deal with opposition players who have been playing well in the 1st half, possibly something about death and the pointlessness of existence.  I'd not be too surprised to find out that he tells the players what subs he's likely to make.

Given Pardews insistence on sticking with last years gameplan, maybe it's just rehashing that arsenal game half time team talk regardless of it's relevance. Players are just plain confused every half time, pards knows he hit a winner!

Any idea when the Ronny Gill are gonna post the results of that survey?

Can't see it happening til after their big meeting. Then they will pitch the questions to Derek/mike/pardew. Doubt they will answer anything previous. Probably see the results in another week.

Given that he spends more time building up to the first half than he gets in 15 minutes at half time, why do people think Pardew takes such a vastly different approach to the second half of games than he does to the first?

Given that he spends more time building up to the first half than he gets in 15 minutes at half time, why do people think Pardew takes such a vastly different approach to the second half of games than he does to the first?

I think we're back to square one with this, we've seen us be vastly inferior / less enterprising in the 2nd half for a lot of recent games.  You think it's because the players flake out, others think it's more due to the manager's instructions.  It's an intangible thing, we just all have our own ideas about what's more likely.

The evidence, mostly.

"No more goals" is fairly damning.

I think I saw him shouting that in the Man U game after we'd gone ahead for the third time.  Was that not understandable?  Unless you're referring to another occasion?

EDIT:  Or was it Arsenal after we'd drawn level for the third time?  Same difference.

The evidence, mostly.

I'm not asking why people think that.  I'm asking what motivation there is for Pardew to do it.

I think it's because he's almost brain-dead as a manager.  He's not bothered about protecting a lead not working for the majority of the time, it's the only way he knows that has worked on occasion and got his fingers burnt when he tried to go for it a few times in the past.  He knows no happy medium, because we don't appear to teach a sustainable pass and move game on the training ground.  So it ends up being all or nothing, with neither approach working very well over the course of a game.

The evidence, mostly.

I think I saw him shouting that in the Man U game after we'd gone ahead for the third time.  Was that not understandable?  Unless you're referring to another occasion?

I thought it was Arsenal but either way it's a daft thing to say and didn't work.  Going 2 goals clear is a good way to win a game.

The evidence, mostly.

I thought it was Arsenal but either way it's a daft thing to say and didn't work.  Going 2 goals clear is a good way to win a game.

You're right it was the Arsenal game, we had our tails up and we had just levelled the score at 3-3 iirc

The evidence, mostly.

I'm not asking why people think that.  I'm asking what motivation there is for Pardew to do it.

It's also that opp manages do summat at half time and he doesn't know what happenned or how to respond...

It comes back to what I feel is his fundamental problem as a manager - he doesn't know how to set a team up to attack AND defend like a normal competent football team. It always has to be one or the other with him and so if he has a result he's happy with at half time, for him that's a cue to batten down the hatches because it has to be attack mode or defend mode - and why would you attack if you're happy with the result?

Unfortunately his idea of defending isn't to keep the ball, because if you've got the ball and are moving around trying to create space to keep it, there's more chance of being caught out of position so defend mode becomes what we see regularly: sit very deep, stay where you're supposed to and kick it really far away.

The evidence, mostly.

It's also that opp manages do summat at half time and he doesn't know what happenned or how to respond...

Fully agree with that like.  Makes much more sense than Pardew doing a tactical 180.

The evidence, mostly.

I bet our keeper has wasted more time fiddling around before goal kicks than any other keeper in the league. I await your graphs.

The evidence, mostly.

I bet our keeper has wasted more time fiddling around before goal kicks than any other keeper in the league. I await your graphs.

WBA have seen more yellow cards for time wasting than any other Premier League side this season.

The evidence, mostly.

WBA have seen more yellow cards for time wasting than any other Premier League side this season.

I stand corrected. ;)

The evidence, mostly.

Fully agree with that like.  Makes much more sense than Pardew doing a tactical 180.

Eh, I thought it was because the players shit themselves, is it definitely a combination of those 2 things and not anything Pardew's instructed?