Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, that's hilarious. Brilliant stuff.

I wasn't aware that you'd explained how we were lucky a first time, to be honest. I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to be funny like. I've explained it on numerous occassions to different people, you included (which is why I feel like you're bringing this up just to try and provoke a reaction from me!)

Saying as you've asked though, I'll indulge you. Basically, Chelsea were toothless and I felt like we relied upon that too much. Chelsea being toothless, or Spurs being toothless is luck when they're presented with clear cut opportunity after clear cut opportunity. You could probably say that we rode our luck against Chelsea and relied upon it against Spurs. Relying upon that, or riding your luck over a long period of time isn't a game plan, it's a gamble. 

I don't understand how we 'relied on Chelsea being toothless'. We restricted them to a minimal amount of chances (which we didn't do against Spurs), whilst creating our own, which we took. Over the course of the game, we matched them in terms of 'good' chances, and kept a clean sheet. You're displaying a biased view of the game.

As are you, as is everyone. That's the basis of an opinion-based review of events.

Krul made loads of saves against Spurs, that's not luck either. Anyway, this is a crazy debate. Every victory in sport is in some way down to your opponent either being worse or not playing to their potential in some way.

Would you rather we stopped debating it?

When you're saying we were lucky to win on Saturday because Norwich were s***, then yes. Would like to have seen you reactions throughout the game on Saturday to see how nervous/tense/worried you actually were of Norwich taking a point or winning that game. I thought the general feeling was it was a comfortable enough win but made tougher than it should have been after half time.

Sorry, are you telling me what I should and shouldn't talk about on here? Just need to clarify that.

We were lucky on Saturday because we allowed them to have a chance at getting a draw and relied upon them being s***. If you'd seen me on Saturday you'd have seen someone that was very happy with the first half and then utterly confused as to why we, yet again, sat back and defended our lead for 45 minutes when it's clearly a risk that has stung us in the past and will certainly sting us again under Pardew. 

You can talk about what you, like. Claiming our opposition unlucky after each game is getting a bit tiresome imo however. Feel you aren't giving our team nearly enough praise for their efforts they are putting in and they are being hard done by.

Guest icemanblue

I wasn't aware that you'd explained how we were lucky a first time, to be honest. I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to be funny like. I've explained it on numerous occassions to different people, you included (which is why I feel like you're bringing this up just to try and provoke a reaction from me!)

Saying as you've asked though, I'll indulge you. Basically, Chelsea were toothless and I felt like we relied upon that too much. Chelsea being toothless, or Spurs being toothless is luck when they're presented with clear cut opportunity after clear cut opportunity. You could probably say that we rode our luck against Chelsea and relied upon it against Spurs. Relying upon that, or riding your luck over a long period of time isn't a game plan, it's a gamble. 

I don't understand how we 'relied on Chelsea being toothless'. We restricted them to a minimal amount of chances (which we didn't do against Spurs), whilst creating our own, which we took. Over the course of the game, we matched them in terms of 'good' chances, and kept a clean sheet. You're displaying a biased view of the game.

As are you, as is everyone. That's the basis of an opinion-based review of events.

I'd say most other people's opinions are based on what they actually saw. But, thems the breaks.

Guest firetotheworks

Krul made loads of saves against Spurs, that's not luck either. Anyway, this is a crazy debate. Every victory in sport is in some way down to your opponent either being worse or not playing to their potential in some way.

Would you rather we stopped debating it?

When you're saying we were lucky to win on Saturday because Norwich were s***, then yes. Would like to have seen you reactions throughout the game on Saturday to see how nervous/tense/worried you actually were of Norwich taking a point or winning that game. I thought the general feeling was it was a comfortable enough win but made tougher than it should have been after half time.

Sorry, are you telling me what I should and shouldn't talk about on here? Just need to clarify that.

We were lucky on Saturday because we allowed them to have a chance at getting a draw and relied upon them being s***. If you'd seen me on Saturday you'd have seen someone that was very happy with the first half and then utterly confused as to why we, yet again, sat back and defended our lead for 45 minutes when it's clearly a risk that has stung us in the past and will certainly sting us again under Pardew. 

You can talk about what you, like. Claiming our opposition unlucky after each game is getting a bit tiresome imo however. Feel you aren't giving our team nearly enough praise for their efforts they are putting in and they are being hard done by.

You could always leave the forum. There are far more people that disagree with you than agree with you, so if you find those views tiresome then you're perhaps somewhere near to how a lot of us feel about your incessant insistance upon giving praise all of the time when most people see it another way entirely and find your views tiresome.

Like I've said on countless occassions. You manipulate a fair bit of what people say in order to give your views more credence. I've never said that our opposition are unlucky, I've said that we have relied upon luck.

I'd say that deliberately posing no attacking threat for long periods of a game, game after game, and therefore relying on a lack of incisiveness from the opposition (Chelsea, Norwich) or incredible profilgacy from the opposition and a world-class goalkeeping performance (Spurs) is an approach that relies on having a certain amount of "rub of the green" and is a risky strategy that can and will come unstuck when things aren't going so well.  It's working for us at the moment, but I do find it perplexing that we're still taking this all-or-nothing approach to our attacking play during games.  All 3 victories have been inclusive of stretches of 45 minutes plus where we weren't even attempting to build meaningful attacks of our own. 

As stated in the last few days, I knew what would happen second half against Norwich, as would most people, as that's what we do every time we go into half time in a winning position.  Playing in a similar way 2nd half to what we had 1st wouldn't have involved us leaving all sorts of gaps at the back or anything of the sort, it's the fact that sitting back and giving the opposition the entire initiative is far more risky in terms of potentially letting a game slip that riles people up and it's what people want to see the end of.  It's frustrating because we played some lovely stuff 1st half and have done better in this respect all season, but this is another pattern of our play that needs to be addressed.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd say most other people's opinions are based on what they actually saw. But, thems the breaks.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I too would also say that. As would everyone? I'm saying that everyone is swayed by their own interpretation of the things they saw?

Without that, this forum would be similar to the BBC Sport update page; Events happened. Fin.

We are 8th in the table, 2 points off a champions league spot, i would say majority of fans are now feeling happy about the season, considering how negative a lot were in the summer. You however just refuse to give the team the credit they deserve for the efforts they are putting in of late. They are working their socks off for each other and it's good to see. Claiming them to be lucky after matches is a real shame for them and undeserved.

Guest firetotheworks

On saturday if we were lucky to take 3 points, surely that means Norwich were unlucky to have 0 points, right?

:lol:

Not at all. They'd have been unlucky if we'd continued to play well and they changed something. As it happened it was US that changed and it was US that ended up being lucky.

On saturday if we were lucky to take 3 points, surely that means Norwich were unlucky to have 0 points, right?

Not at all. They'd have been unlucky if we'd continued to play well and they changed something. As it happened it was US that changed and it was US that ended up being lucky.

Aye, having good goals disallowed is lucky every time !!!

Guest firetotheworks

We are 8th in the table, 2 points off a champions league spot, i would say majority of fans are now feeling happy about the season, considering how negative a lot were in the summer. You however just refuse to give the team the credit they deserve for the efforts they are putting in of late. They are working their socks off for each other and it's good to see. Claiming them to be lucky after matches is a real shame for them and undeserved.

Get a grip man you saccharin tit.

:lol: Well show some positivity ffs. You’re probably still on a solid 8 on the relegationometer.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, having good goals disallowed is lucky every time !!!

If this was one game we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Guest icemanblue

KI, you are - and I mean this absolutely sincerely - a collossal bellend. You've got such a nerve to take an extreme attitude against personality quirks that you yourself are guilty of, more than most. You are a genuinely unlikeable person. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: Well show some positivity ffs. You’re probably still on a solid 8 on the relegationometer.

Brett man. You clearly do it to add credibility to some of the nonsense that you come out with, but you should probably just stick with the things that we're talking about, or the things that people have actually said instead of taking one thing to assume another that's based in fiction.

The problem is that there IS positivity and it's not being utilised enough. I was very happy with that first half, the second half was shit, yet again. It was totally unnecessary and incredibly risky.

I'd say that deliberately posing no attacking threat for long periods of a game, game after game, and therefore relying on a lack of incisiveness from the opposition (Chelsea, Norwich) or incredible profilgacy from the opposition and a world-class goalkeeping performance (Spurs) is an approach that relies on having a certain amount of "rub of the green" and is a risky strategy that can and will come unstuck when things aren't going so well.  It's working for us at the moment, but I do find it perplexing that we're still taking this all-or-nothing approach to our attacking play during games.  All 3 victories have been inclusive of stretches of 45 minutes plus where we weren't even attempting to build meaningful attacks of our own. 

As stated in the last few days, I knew what would happen second half against Norwich, as would most people, as that's what we do every time we go into half time in a winning position.  Playing in a similar way 2nd half to what we had 1st wouldn't have involved us leaving all sorts of gaps at the back or anything of the sort, it's the fact that sitting back and giving the opposition the entire initiative is far more risky in terms of potentially letting a game slip that riles people up and it's what people want to see the end of.  It's frustrating because we played some lovely stuff 1st half and have done better in this respect all season, but this is another pattern of our play that needs to be addressed.

Good post.

There've been big improvements in our play going forward this year, but I still can't get my head around the strategy of inviting teams onto us. It's a bananas tactic that will see you get burned eventually. Repeatedly too.

Good post.

There've been big improvements in our play going forward this year, but I still can't get my head around the strategy of inviting teams onto us. It's a bananas tactic that will see you get burned eventually. Repeatedly too.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

KI, you are - and I mean this absolutely sincerely - a collossal bellend. You've got such a nerve to take an extreme attitude against personality quirks that you yourself are guilty of, more than most. You are a genuinely unlikeable person. :thup:

I don't know why you are saying these things tbh mate. I don't have any problem with you. All I've done is post my opinion on here like everyone else.

I don't know why you are saying these things tbh mate. I don't have any problem with you. All I've done is post my opinion on here like everyone else.

:lol: :clap:

Brett man. You clearly do it to add credibility to some of the nonsense that you come out with, but you should probably just stick with the things that we're talking about, or the things that people have actually said instead of taking one thing to assume another that's based in fiction.

The problem is that there IS positivity and it's not being utilised enough. I was very happy with that first half, the second half was s***, yet again. It was totally unnecessary and incredibly risky.

As predicted, tight scrappy game but 3 points. Another good 45 followed by a poor 45, worrying once again but 3 points once again makes everyone happy. Fancy a more entertaining game against WB but not as confident of the three points but things are looking very exciting now we are chasing 4 wins in a row.

I said pretty much about the differences in halves. I just don't go overboard like you and claim we were lucky to take 3 points. It's a worrying factor we are only playing well for one half out of the two. That doesn't mean to say we aren't in good form though as we are and it's exciting to see us doing so well once again.

Guest firetotheworks

The problem is that there IS positivity and it's not being utilised enough. I was very happy with that first half, the second half was s***, yet again. It was totally unnecessary and incredibly risky.

As predicted, tight scrappy game but 3 points. Another good 45 followed by a poor 45, worrying once again but 3 points once again makes everyone happy. Fancy a more entertaining game against WB but not as confident of the three points but things are looking very exciting now we are chasing 4 wins in a row.

I said pretty much about the differences in halves. I just don't go overboard like you and claim we were lucky to take 3 points. It's a worrying factor we are only playing well for one half out of the two. That doesn't mean to say we aren't in good form though as we are and it's exciting to see us doing so well once again.

That's fine Brett. I just see it differently. If it had just been that game, or an appearing trend of our play that we're good for one half only then I'd be right there with you, but it's been going on for a long time now.