Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've admitted that I secretly really like Ferguson, but at times he is childish beyond belief.

There is no need for him to try to be controversial and chat so much shit, to increase the sales of his book. He is already a millionaire, and he doesn't need to be a Joey Barton to get media attention and publicity. He is a c*nt, but I like c*nts and can't help myself.

Gerrard and Lampard are both overrated in this country FWIW.

Really? Depends what position we're placing them at.

I personally think Lampard is easily one of the greatest midfielders this league has seen in the past 20 years. I'm well aware he has limitations and I'm not saying he's better than certain other midfielders in that time period in other countries, because he's not, but - boring or not - it's impossible to ignore his phenomenal scoring record. It's absurd. That's due to his intelligence, composure and underrated technique.

Gerrard, well, I'm obviously biased. He was clearly world-class back in his day but I think his "Captain Liverpool" image masked some deficiencies.

What I've bolded is probably the crux of it - "overrated" and "underrated" have no real useful meaning until we add some context.

I think what you say is spot on in reference to this league, but that's my point - this league isn't where it all begins and ends which is why I've always viewed both as limited/overrated. The press/media/fans would have you believe Gerrard/Lampard are have been on a par with Europe's best when there's no real substance, IMO, to such an assertion.

I personally think Lampard is easily one of the greatest midfielders this league has seen in the past 20 years. I'm well aware he has limitations and I'm not saying he's better than certain other midfielders in that time period in other countries, because he's not, but - boring or not - it's impossible to ignore his phenomenal scoring record. It's absurd. That's due to his intelligence, composure and underrated technique.

Gerrard, well, I'm obviously biased. He was clearly world-class back in his day but I think his "Captain Liverpool" image masked some deficiencies.

What I've bolded is probably the crux of it - "overrated" and "underrated" have no real useful meaning until we add some context.

I think what you say is spot on in reference to this league, but that's my point - this league isn't where it all begins and ends which is why I've always viewed both as limited/overrated. The press/media/fans would have you believe Gerrard/Lampard are have been on a par with Europe's best when there's no real substance, IMO, to such an assertion.

They were on par with the very best in Europe from 2005-09 IMO.

After that, of course not.

Ferguson once said that he'd have Gerrard at OT but felt it wasn't worth going for him as he doesn't believe he'd leave Liverpool for Man Utd.

I don't think Fergie ever signed a Liverpool player. 

Get the feeling he'd have rather chopped his nads off than admit they had something he wanted.

Ferguson once said that he'd have Gerrard at OT but felt it wasn't worth going for him as he doesn't believe he'd leave Liverpool for Man Utd.

Get the feeling he'd have rather chop his nads off than admit they had something he wanted.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I genuinely think Fergie put Owen on the bench vs. Barca in CL final instead of Berbatov, to just rub it in Liveprool's face if they won and Owen could get a minute. Simply can't think of any other possible reason for it.

Get the feeling he'd have rather chopped his nads off than admit they had something he wanted.

Some bloke called Phil Chisnall back in the 60s was the last business the two clubs did together

Guest firetotheworks

You could sort of count Owen, I guess. Although I don't think he's anyone's player but Michael Owen's. Even Liverpool fans don't particularly like him in my experience.

Guest firetotheworks

Playing devil's advocate, everyone loved Bobby. Gazza loved Bobby and there's a case to be made that he's a total prick as well. It means nowt, I bet Piers Morgan would fall in love with Bobby if the toxic prick had a heart.

Get the feeling he'd have rather chop his nads off than admit they had something he wanted.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I genuinely think Fergie put Owen on the bench vs. Barca in CL final instead of Berbatov, to just rub it in Liveprool's face if they won and Owen could get a minute. Simply can't think of any other possible reason for it.

Yes, that is ridiculous. He moaned about UEFA not allowing more than 7 substitutes for a final, during the pre-match interview on ITV.

Overrated is harsh. They've probably scored about 400 goals between them from midfield and both won the CL, which is rare for an English player. Probably assisted a few hundred goals between them too.

Yeah, something not many players, and certainly our players can say.

His criticism of Gerrard and Lampard surprises me. I would've wagered that he'd enquired about both of them at some point(s) during his reign.

Yet he says "Bebe was capable of scoring 20 goals a season" . I am all for true opinions (hence loving Zlatan's book), but it looks Fergie is trolling at times.

Has he mentioned Anderson in his book by the way? by far one of the worst transfers of all time which never gets talked about. 30 million Euros in 2007 (adjust for current inflation it'll probably be 50 million Euros), and he's still seen as a "prospect". My Manc friends bring up He's won 1 CL, 2 CC, and 4 PLs...but it's not as he was truly influential in any of those. A true medal thief

You're not bitter like.

Why would I be bitter about a person whom I've claimed to admire many times. I absolutely admire Ferguson (love the fact that he is a cunt and IMO it gives him a competitive edge) and his personality, but if he is to criticize others senselessly, I'd be interested to read his opinions on his own fuck ups as well.

As much as I don't like Ferguson, you simply have to respect him. I think the book will most likely be fascinating as well. That little interview was very entertaining indeed, he's worked with so many massive names and there must be countless stories in there.

I still think Soldado is playing well, I might be the only one. His link-up play is first class.

Same. The usual overreaction to anyone from foreign shores coming in and not scoring a hatful immediately. He's already got 3, IIRC he's assisted a couple, and has linked up well. He's doing well, and he'll score plenty more.

He's showed touches of class no doubt, but he's largely been out of games in a Cisse manner. 2 of his 3 goals have come from the penalty spot. Tbh Adebayor and Defoe are not bad strikers, Spurs strikers lacking goals is a team set-up issue imo.

:thup: :thup:

SAF needs to stay relevant. He'll say whatever he can to ruffle feathers without being completely written off as a cantakerous, embittered old coot.