Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40461

Mike Bassett: Interim Manager Announced

Eat his goal

17 March 2014  |  Written by Phil de Semlyen  |  Source: Goldfinch Pictures

Football, eh? As that other fictional management great, Alan Latchley, had it: “She's a cruel mistress. She's more than a mistress: she's a wife, she's a mother, she's a daughter, she's an errant child.” In the case Mike Bassett, now back in the dugout for a second cinematic outing, she’s also a bit of a punchbag for a volatile lower-league gaffer turned international manager.

No longer in the England hot seat, Ricky Tomlinson's big-screen boss will be back in his tracksuit for Mike Bassett: Interim Manager when the movie gets underway later this year. The footballing world he returns to has moved on since his belt-and-braces days in the lower reaches of the league. There’s even a German coach in charge of England now – the horror! – and it’s as his assistant that Bassett finds himself back in the spotlight.

Returning producer / director Steve Barron picks up the story: “Bassett was the last England manager to take the national team to Brazil. We reached the semis then, who knows what we could achieve this time? I’m very excited to be back with the team including football legend Andy Ansah who cut his teeth on the first film. As the years have gone by Bassett seems to have dug deeper into football folklore. There is hardly a manager in the game that hasn’t been compared to him. Usually at a low point. Sometimes a very low point.”

2001's Mike Bassett: England Manager was a hit to the tune of £3.5m, but can the old warhorse strike a chord in this era of prozone-wielding upstarts and fancy dans from overseas? Time will tell, although it's a surprise that the sequel isn't timed with this summer's World Cup.

Riley Productions, the BFI and Goldfinch Pictures are all aboard, with Mike Bassett: England Manager writers Rob Sprackling and John R. Smith back in "the squad" for this unexpected sequel.

For more news on the project, accompanied by equally terrible wordplay, check back soon.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/17/fa-set-reject-hull-city-owner-change-tigers

The Football Association looks set to reject the application by the Hull City owner, Assem Allam, to change the club's name to Hull Tigers, after the FA's membership committee unanimously voted against it. In response Allam reiterated that he would "walk away" from the club if the full FA council follows the committee's recommendation at its meeting on 9 April.

Allam, a local businessman who bought the club in 2010, clarified that he meant he would put the club up for sale, not seek immediately to recover his £72m loans and cause the club financial difficulties.

"How could you imagine I would change my mind?" he said of his promise to walk away. "People who know me know that I do not go back on what I say."

The FA confirmed that its membership committee, at a meeting last Wednesday, "made a unanimous recommendation to the FA council to reject Hull City's request to change their playing name to Hull Tigers from next season".

The committee is understood to have decided that Allam and his son Ehab, who works with his father at their industrial generators' business and as the football club's vice-chairman, had not adequately made a case for the name change. The Allams argued that playing as Hull Tigers, dropping the name City because it is shared with other clubs and therefore "common", would deliver a major commercial boost in global marketing.

They were opposed by an alliance of supporters' groups under the campaign name City Till We Die, who argued that the club's name since 1904 is an integral part of its heritage and character and that there was no research to back the idea that "Tigers" would provide a commercial advantage. Talking to the Guardian in November, Assem Allam acknowledged he had not conducted research to support the plan for a name change.

Any change of a club's playing name has to be approved by the FA, which accepts the importance of tradition and requires reasons to be soundly argued. The FA's membership committee formed a three-man subcommittee to consult widely across football and hear the submissions from the Allams and City Till We Die. The fans' campaign produced a video and 21-page submission, arguing that the Hull City AFC name had been "hard fought for" and the club could achieve much more commercially under its current name.

"This is a pivotal moment for English football," the submission said. "The FA decision-makers can become the heroes that protected the national game. Or they can usher in a new era where money and ego matter more than anything else."

The FA's subcommittee is understood to have found that the Allams had not justified the name change on commercial grounds or to have consulted adequately with supporters. The subcommittee's recommendation to reject the name change proposal was then approved unanimously by the full membership committee, which is chaired by Philip Smith of the Kent FA, and includes Jez Moxey, chief executive of Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Malcolm Clarke, chief executive of the Football Supporters' Federation.

Allam told the Guardian he now intends to ballot City's 17,900 season-ticket holders – he said it would have made no difference to have done so before the FA committee considered the issue – and hopes the FA council will sanction the name change.

"We will announce a ballot this week," he said, "and we will challenge the decision. If the FA does not allow our plan, we will walk away, put it on the market to sell the club. We would not put it into liquidation; there is a lot of money at stake. I will get my money when I sell."

Ian Waterson, a spokesman for City Till We Die, welcomed the FA committee's decision and thanked the "overwhelming" support for the campaign. "The FA committee has recognised our heritage and history as Hull City AFC and the views of supporters, and the wider implications this decision has for other clubs," said Waterson. "We trust the FA council will listen to its committee's recommendation and reject the application."

FA growing some balls for once?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/17/fa-set-reject-hull-city-owner-change-tigers

The Football Association looks set to reject the application by the Hull City owner, Assem Allam, to change the club's name to Hull Tigers, after the FA's membership committee unanimously voted against it. In response Allam reiterated that he would "walk away" from the club if the full FA council follows the committee's recommendation at its meeting on 9 April.

Allam, a local businessman who bought the club in 2010, clarified that he meant he would put the club up for sale, not seek immediately to recover his £72m loans and cause the club financial difficulties.

"How could you imagine I would change my mind?" he said of his promise to walk away. "People who know me know that I do not go back on what I say."

The FA confirmed that its membership committee, at a meeting last Wednesday, "made a unanimous recommendation to the FA council to reject Hull City's request to change their playing name to Hull Tigers from next season".

The committee is understood to have decided that Allam and his son Ehab, who works with his father at their industrial generators' business and as the football club's vice-chairman, had not adequately made a case for the name change. The Allams argued that playing as Hull Tigers, dropping the name City because it is shared with other clubs and therefore "common", would deliver a major commercial boost in global marketing.

They were opposed by an alliance of supporters' groups under the campaign name City Till We Die, who argued that the club's name since 1904 is an integral part of its heritage and character and that there was no research to back the idea that "Tigers" would provide a commercial advantage. Talking to the Guardian in November, Assem Allam acknowledged he had not conducted research to support the plan for a name change.

Any change of a club's playing name has to be approved by the FA, which accepts the importance of tradition and requires reasons to be soundly argued. The FA's membership committee formed a three-man subcommittee to consult widely across football and hear the submissions from the Allams and City Till We Die. The fans' campaign produced a video and 21-page submission, arguing that the Hull City AFC name had been "hard fought for" and the club could achieve much more commercially under its current name.

"This is a pivotal moment for English football," the submission said. "The FA decision-makers can become the heroes that protected the national game. Or they can usher in a new era where money and ego matter more than anything else."

The FA's subcommittee is understood to have found that the Allams had not justified the name change on commercial grounds or to have consulted adequately with supporters. The subcommittee's recommendation to reject the name change proposal was then approved unanimously by the full membership committee, which is chaired by Philip Smith of the Kent FA, and includes Jez Moxey, chief executive of Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Malcolm Clarke, chief executive of the Football Supporters' Federation.

Allam told the Guardian he now intends to ballot City's 17,900 season-ticket holders – he said it would have made no difference to have done so before the FA committee considered the issue – and hopes the FA council will sanction the name change.

"We will announce a ballot this week," he said, "and we will challenge the decision. If the FA does not allow our plan, we will walk away, put it on the market to sell the club. We would not put it into liquidation; there is a lot of money at stake. I will get my money when I sell."

Ian Waterson, a spokesman for City Till We Die, welcomed the FA committee's decision and thanked the "overwhelming" support for the campaign. "The FA committee has recognised our heritage and history as Hull City AFC and the views of supporters, and the wider implications this decision has for other clubs," said Waterson. "We trust the FA council will listen to its committee's recommendation and reject the application."

FA growing some balls for once?

Only because it's a small club like Hull. If it was Man City wanting to change their name to Manchester Fuckloadsacash it'd be fine.

hart not punished there's a shock

Scandalous when you compare it with the Remy incident and the outcome of his appeal...

helps playing for a title contender and being englands only competent goalkeeper in a world cup year can't hurt.

hart not punished there's a shock

Scandalous when you compare it with the Remy incident and the outcome of his appeal...

helps playing for a title contender and being englands only competent goalkeeper in a world cup year can't hurt.

Don't forget Shearer getting let off for kicking Lennon :lol:

FA are a bunch of wankers, so cowardly and feeble.