Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/29b3b1426ff43bac04e6db57d5bc7bb8.jpg

Very eloquent takedown of Barclay's bullshit

Great, except I'd like to give a bit of advice to the writer:

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” Kurt Vonnegut.

Guest firetotheworks

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/29b3b1426ff43bac04e6db57d5bc7bb8.jpg

Very eloquent takedown of Barclay's bullshit

Great, except I'd like to give a bit of advice to the writer:

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.” Kurt Vonnegut.

Bullshit, that. They're a very useful thing and have a very specific purpose.

Highlights where a subordinate clause is needed and combines  two clauses that individually have separate meaning to create a complex sentence with potentially an entirely different meaning. Very useful.

I don't like it as an alternative to a comma though, I reckon he's misusing it slightly. Not that I know the actual rule.

B1iLSplIMAAq84X.png:large

just came to post this,  full article here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/morton-0-airdieonians-0-yin-to-be-missed-managers-philosophical-at-journey-into-the-v.25756605

especially like the last line "The poor crowd, shellshocked as they wandered out, were left to contemplate these five chilling words: there will be a replay." :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/01/luis-suarez-limits-crossing-the-line-book

The strange thing perhaps about Luis Suárez’s autobiography is that it is away from the biting, the confrontation with Patrice Evra and all the other controversies that you will find the story that goes as close as anything to revealing the man, and how far he would be willing to go to warp the lines between right and wrong.

Suárez is in his last full season at Ajax. They are approaching the final game a point behind the leaders, FC Twente, but with a vastly superior goal difference. Ajax have a trip to NEC Nijmegen where they are widely expected to win. Except they need Twente to slip up at ninth-placed NAC Breda.

Suárez, the captain, has a plan. He is so convinced it can work he asks to see the Ajax directors, and he remembers that what he says shocks them. “No, no, no! Are you mad, Luis? Don’t mention that ever again. We don’t do that kind of thing in Holland.”

For Suárez, it was not good enough trying to influence one match. He wanted his fingerprints on the other one, too. Suarez had suggested to the directors they offered NAC Breda a win bonus. The response, he says, was “emphatic”. He sounds indignant, struggling to understand their logic, bemused that people with Ajax in their hearts could be so unimaginative. “Everyone was too relaxed for my liking,” he complains. Ajax did their bit and Suárez scored twice in a 4-1 win. Yet Twente won 2-0 and were champions. Suárez seethed in the dressing room.

Hasn't VI said that this is common and not strange at all in Spain?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/01/luis-suarez-limits-crossing-the-line-book

The strange thing perhaps about Luis Suárez’s autobiography is that it is away from the biting, the confrontation with Patrice Evra and all the other controversies that you will find the story that goes as close as anything to revealing the man, and how far he would be willing to go to warp the lines between right and wrong.

Suárez is in his last full season at Ajax. They are approaching the final game a point behind the leaders, FC Twente, but with a vastly superior goal difference. Ajax have a trip to NEC Nijmegen where they are widely expected to win. Except they need Twente to slip up at ninth-placed NAC Breda.

Suárez, the captain, has a plan. He is so convinced it can work he asks to see the Ajax directors, and he remembers that what he says shocks them. “No, no, no! Are you mad, Luis? Don’t mention that ever again. We don’t do that kind of thing in Holland.”

For Suárez, it was not good enough trying to influence one match. He wanted his fingerprints on the other one, too. Suarez had suggested to the directors they offered NAC Breda a win bonus. The response, he says, was “emphatic”. He sounds indignant, struggling to understand their logic, bemused that people with Ajax in their hearts could be so unimaginative. “Everyone was too relaxed for my liking,” he complains. Ajax did their bit and Suárez scored twice in a 4-1 win. Yet Twente won 2-0 and were champions. Suárez seethed in the dressing room.

Hasn't VI said that this is common and not strange at all in Spain?

Happened a fair bit, not sure if it still happens mind.