Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

I read that Barca/Real tend to be people's second team in Spain if not #1. Is this true?

Yes, overwhelmingly so. Only a few "third teams" actually rule in their catchment areas:

http://www.jotdown.es/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/mapa-5.png

Everything white-ish on the map means a majority of Real/Madrid Barça fans. Darker shades of green mean that province has a majority of non-Barçadrid fans.

How big are Athletic in Madrid /Spain?

Are a club like Valencia better supported?

What are the name of the clubs in green that are not obvious?

This map is probably more useful:

http://www.jotdown.es/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/mapa-1.png

I've always found it interesting that, barring a couple of exceptions, the Spanish north has stronger local clubs. Madrid dominates over the poorest parts of the country, which don't have strong clubs.

Atlético and Valencia have a very strong rivalry to settle who's "best of the rest". They are pretty close regarding fanbases. Atlético are a minority in Madrid, but since it's such a big city that leaves them with lots of fans still.

What's the reason for Leon being predominantly Barca fans ?

No idea :lol:

Former Spanish president Zapatero hails from that region and was a Barça fan. They don't have any established club in the region, not a single club from the province plays in the top two Spanish divisions. I can only guess at some sort of rejection of Madrid because of regional identity. Madrid are the quintessential Castillian club, and León see themselves as non-Castillian.

Guest firetotheworks

Former Spanish president Zapatero hails from that region and was a Barça fan. They don't have any established club in the region, not a single club from the province plays in the top two Spanish divisions. I can only guess at some sort of rejection of Madrid because of regional identity. Madrid are the quintessential Castillian club, and León see themselves as non-Castillian.

It's an odd one like. :lol:

Here's the UK's based on viewing figures. There's a Twitter version but that doesn't seem right because it's almost entirely Liverpool fans.

CKga2CCWwAA9Cfy.jpg:large

It's an odd one like. :lol:

Here's the UK's based on viewing figures. There's a Twitter version but that doesn't seem right because it's almost entirely Liverpool fans.

CKga2CCWwAA9Cfy.jpg:large

Liverpool fans being the most argumentative online? Say it ain't so!

Guest firetotheworks

Hads on....why are there Leicester fans on the Isle of Harris!? :lol: Does it have a population of 12 and a family moved there or something?

Hads on....why are there Leicester fans on the Isle of Harris!? :lol: Does it have a population of 12 and a family moved there or something?

There's a kind of Leicester/Scotland link due to the nearby town of Corby, which became known as "Little Scotland" because it was full of Scottish migrants who travelled down to work in its steelworks.  Possibly a load of Outer Hebrides folk went down there to work, started following them and then moved back?

Edit: Actually it's a good hour and a half away from Leicester but it's the closest half decent team.

To me it is, I'm Spanish :p

Are the big two Scottish clubs restricted to Glasgow?

:lol:

Pretty much. People from Glasgow support teams from Glasgow generally. Up North there's a serious amount of oil workers so maybe that's part of the reason. Scottish football isn't on TV much any more so that also helps too.

We don't have an issue with Scottish people supporting Scottish teams outside of their home area as there's absolutely no glory to be hunted :lol: people usually either support some s**** Scottish home team or like Liverpool or Brazil or something. Mostly Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Anyone remotely Irish in any way will rabidly support Celtic though. Weird folk.