RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

4 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Came here to say this in hindsight it may have been the early stages.. 

He wasn’t the right man for the job but he was a larger than life character and whilst massively unprofessional his rant against some of the cretins masquerading and warning good money as journalists was actually quite refreshing.

RIP Joe. 

The journalists were holding the club to account for the shitshow it was. I wish they’d done more of it.

Shay Given, upon leaving for Man City, summed up what Kinnear represented to NUFC players and fans at the time:

’The ambition of the club when I left was zero, zilch,’ he said. ‘It was a ship just bobbing along with no leadership. The appointment of Joe Kinnear just about summed things up.

When you say it slowly, Joe Kinnear - joke in here - we honestly thought it was a wind-up. He’d been out of the game for so long. This was Newcastle United and they got someone out of the wilderness to come and manage us.

‘It just summed it all up, he was friends with Mike Ashley. It felt like he was thinking, “What can I do next to p*** the fans off?”.' 

source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5022257/Newcastle-Mike-Ashley-hired-Joe-Kinnear-p-fans.html

7 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

He had a responsibility in taking the job and sucking at it though. It was clear from the onset that the fans didn’t want him at this club, and he did nothing to prove them wrong. To the contrary, he made us into a bigger shambles and laughing stock than we already were at that point. I bear little hard feelings to him, but let’s not pretend he was one in a long line of wasters who took and club’s money only to leave it in a worse state than they found it. I wish him peace, but I can’t respect him for his “service” to the club I love.

Doesn't mean he's a cunt or we should be happy he's died.

The dementia which has killed him could have been in play in 2009 and/or 2013 unbeknown to him. Does that make him a cunt?

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

The dementia which has killed him could have been in play in 2009 and/or 2013 unbeknown to him. Does that make him a cunt?

He acted like a cunt representing our club and I’m not happy he’s died. Both can be true.

Edited by Unbelievable

16 minutes ago, Earp said:

Remember when he went on a ‘scouting’ mission in France and went missing. Was found leathered at an airport in France 

:lol:

That picture was fucking hilarious.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

He acted like a cunt representing our club and I’m not happy he’s died. Both can be true.

You didn't answer the question about him having early stages of dementia

Just now, Ronaldo said:

The journalists were holding the club to account for the shitshow it was. I wish they’d done more of it.

But they were talking to the wrong man like journalists asking Eddie about SA just after the takeover.

but you’re right they should have held the club more to account a lot of them were complicit in our demise. 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

im not happy he’s dead. I just think he’s a cunt. That’s it. Once a cunt, always a cunt. 

RIP Joe. Thoughts with his family. Like many others who have had family members with dementia and alzheimer's, I'm sure they'll be naturally devastated, yet somewhat relieved that their loved one has stopped what is a horrific suffering. 

Edited by BlazeT44

Just now, joeyt said:

You didn't answer the question about him having early stages of dementia

I mentioned in an earlier post I suspected he had early stages of dementia. All the more reason to thank his mate for the opportunity of managing us and advising him to appoint someone properly qualified for the job. Again, I hold no severe grudge, but I will not retrospectively review my opinion of him because he suffered from dementia and has now died. All I care about is how people represent the club and I don’t have fond memories of Joe Kinnear in that respect. He never understood us as a club or a group of fans. An Ashley yes man who did more harm than good.

5 minutes ago, Sima said:

:lol:

That picture was fucking hilarious.

article-2398876-1B656BE3000005DC-214_306x620.jpg.ef96c59cd95e15b4548df79f9b5c9b14.jpg

We had Pardew actively trying to sell our best players and Joe in charge of bringing in the replacements. Crazy times [emoji38]

We actually picked up some form under him during that relegation season. Wonder if he hadnt taken ill, whether we'd have scraped survival. 

Man, what a season that was. First relegation since the 80s, appointing someone who hadnt been in the top flight since 1999, Shearer as manager, signings that never played like Xisco and Gonzalez, Keegan resigning, protests, Dennis Wise, Barton in prison for half the season, N'zogbia going on strike because he was called Insomnia, and a final day defeat through an own goal.  Wild, wild times.

RIP.

Edited by Doctor Zaius

22 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

article-2398876-1B656BE3000005DC-214_306x620.jpg.ef96c59cd95e15b4548df79f9b5c9b14.jpg

We had Pardew actively trying to sell our best players and Joe in charge of bringing in the replacements. Crazy times [emoji38]

How can you not love this club man :lol:

My mind has completely blanked out his time here. Not even as bad as Fat Sam getting a villa from his compo from here and calling it Casa del St James'

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Completely forgot we hired him as Director of Football in 2013 :lol:

:lol: as someone who only started following the club a couple years before that, that’s all I remember him for.