Sunderland

Nobody

14 million pounds

That's his wages over the 3.5 years isn't it?

Swapping him for AntiScore for an extra 25k a week on wages is a tremendous deal for them if he keeps them up which I think his goals will!

It's not a tremendous deal for them though. Admittedly it's an example of making the best of a bad situation, but they spent £6 million on Antiscore - now 18 months down the line they're having to give him away plus money to bring in a 32 year old on massive wages in an attempt to secure short-term survival. This is endemic of their terrible management. People take the piss out of the whole 'stepping stone' shtick but compare their management here to Swansea who bought Bony at the same time and have just sold him for £30 million. They'll invest that and improve their whole team probably rather than laying down more money on dead weights.

I don't know why they seem to think we were in for Defoe, he clearly doesn't fit into our transfer model. I'd probably take him on a very short term deal, but I don't think he'd be getting in the team ahead of Perez and Cisse.

He'll be OK for them for a year or so, IMO, not that I think they can provide him with much service. Probably get 5 or 6 goals and it'll be enough to keep them up.

I don't know why they seem to think we were in for Defoe, he clearly doesn't fit into our transfer model. I'd probably take him on a very short term deal, but I don't think he'd be getting in the team ahead of Perez and Cisse.

He'll be OK for them for a year or so, IMO, not that I think they can provide him with much service. Probably get 5 or 6 goals and it'll be enough to keep them up.

If you listen to Gabbiadini on totalsport.... "strikers as good as Defoe don't need as much service, they can sniff chances out for themselves".

:lol: Making excuses for their lack of service no, and claiming it wont be an issue.

I think he thinks they've signed Messi or Ronaldo??!!!

Can't stand Defoe.  Never liked him and that awful put on accent and watching him try to get his bling watch into shot during his painful interviews.

It's a sign of desperation for sure.  3.5 year deal and £80k a week though.  He's 32 FFS!  But he does score goals in fairness and at least they are actually getting players in. 

Make no mistake. He's a good signing for them, money aside.

Defoe scores goals, and he will for them.

It's a very good signing for this season to keep them up because that will pay for it, I'm not sure they would have gone down anyway as always seem to fight back. The only concern I would have as a Mackem (Apart from when I can collect my benefits) would be the fact they seem to be signing older players and short term solutions. They have Oshea, Brown, Réveillère, Defoe all over the age of 30 with a few approaching that age, plus quite a number of not good enough players. What is their strategy as it just seems to be surviving and worse than ours in that we try and buy young players or those not far off prime that at least have some value. They have bought players that have not really increased in value and for the most part are on their way down.

Guest Roger Kint

Can't stand Defoe.  Never liked him and that awful put on accent and watching him try to get his bling watch into shot during his painful interviews.

It's a sign of desperation for sure.  3.5 year deal and £80k a week though.  He's 32 FFS!  But he does score goals in fairness and at least they are actually getting players in. 

Jellus marra

Make no mistake. He's a good signing for them, money aside.

Defoe scores goals, and he will for them.

Well he did, not sure he still will though.  Anyone seen him in that mickey mouse league he's been playing in recently?