Sunderland

Nobody

Welcome to classy sunderland, the local time is 1973....

I say chinkie , paki , sausage roll , gypo etc

Just figures of speech

Nothing wrong with it

prob banned for even asking but..... Why do Pakistanis take offence at being called a Paki?

its not racist just shortened. Like Brits for British and Turks for Turkish.

Chinkys and Pakis were never ever a derogatory name. the world is going mad and the pc brigade needs to get a grip on reality.

Respected throughout race relations marra.

wow, paki is just shortened pakistani?  makes perfect sense, where's the UKIP membership station i'm in

What else is it then? No different to the IRA introducing 'Brit' for British.

His agent has played an absolute blinder if they've caved in and given him 60 grand a week like. He's not a bad player at all but it stinks of giving him what he wants so they don't get shafted letting him move on for nothing in the summer.

wow, paki is just shortened pakistani?  makes perfect sense, where's the UKIP membership station i'm in

It's different.

I don't recall a whole generation of British kids being subjected to 'Brit' bashing days in Irish schools throughout the 1960's and '70's (regardless of whether they were British or just 'looked' British.)

It's pretty straightforward. if you're speaking from a lexicon perspective, some words abbreviate others. However 'Paki' and 'chinkie' have a whole weight of societal bias that 'brit' or 'aussie' don't. If you don't recognise this, well, you're an idiot. The fact that RTG are having this debate in this day and age speaks volumes for their mindset. I would be fuming if this board were so ignorant as to repeat it.

It's different.

I don't recall a whole generation of British kids being subjected to 'Brit' bashing days in Irish schools throughout the 1960's and '70's (regardless of whether they were British or just 'looked' British.)

It's pretty straightforward. if you're speaking from a lexicon perspective, some words abbreviate others. However 'Paki' and 'chinkie' have a whole weight of societal bias that 'brit' or 'aussie' don't. If you don't recognise this, well, you're an idiot. The fact that RTG are having this debate in this day and age speaks volumes for their mindset. I would be fuming if this board were so ignorant as to repeat it.

Historically the abbreviation is exactly the same. I don't dispute that the meaning has changed over the years but its origin is no different.

Historically the abbreviation is exactly the same. I don't dispute that the meaning has changed over the years but its origin is no different.

Great. Get yourself up the West Road, fling it about in public and then start defending it by explaining the origin of the word. Good luck.

Great. Get yourself up the West Road, fling it about in public and then start defending it by explaining the origin of the word. Good luck.

Since i don't use the word i don't know why you think i should do that. If you disagree with what i said then feel free to explain the origin of the word instead of flinging around ridiculous suggestions.

I'm not disputing the origin of the word 'Paki'. That's clear.

I'm disputing why anyone should hold it up as some sort of beacon against 'political correctness' and mither when they're taken to task. As appears to be happening on that ludicrous thread on RTG.

What could you possibly gain by proving the word 'Paki' is an abbreviation of 'Pakistan' or 'Pakistani'. Surely that's taken as read?

I'm not disputing the origin of the word 'Paki'. That's clear.

I'm disputing why anyone should hold it up as some sort of beacon against 'political correctness' and mither when they're taken to task. As appears to be happening on that ludicrous thread on RTG.

What could you possibly gain by proving the word 'Paki' is an abbreviation of 'Pakistan' or 'Pakistani'. Surely that's taken as read?

I'm glad we agree at last!

Scared by the Coleback fiasco and now over compensating?- what a mess.

Possibly, but they've signed loads of players for a lot of money who haven't performed and as a result they've got themselves into the situation where they either give them a new contract and increase their wages or let them go on a free. Adam Johnson's contract is up for renewal too soon, isn't it? He's their highest earner apparently and bar one month last season when he was shit hot he's done nothing to suggest he's a £10 million player, but spend £10 million on him they did and they've now got to decide whether they write him off or go back to him with a new contract offer in the hope he'll hit some form in a year or two and they're able to claw some cash back.

Possibly, but they've signed loads of players for a lot of money who haven't performed and as a result they've got themselves into the situation where they either give them a new contract and increase their wages or let them go on a free. Adam Johnson's contract is up for renewal too soon, isn't it? He's their highest earner apparently and bar one month last season when he was s*** hot he's done nothing to suggest he's a £10 million player, but spend £10 million on him they did and they've now got to decide whether they write him off or go back to him with a new contract offer in the hope he'll hit some form in a year or two and they're able to claw some cash back.

Johnson got 10 goals from midfield last season, without which I'm sure we'd have been relegated. He's like almost every winger I've ever seen, inconsistent, but I think £10 million was a fair price for him.

Great result for you lot yesterday and I'm starting to fear the derby game already.

Possibly, but they've signed loads of players for a lot of money who haven't performed and as a result they've got themselves into the situation where they either give them a new contract and increase their wages or let them go on a free. Adam Johnson's contract is up for renewal too soon, isn't it? He's their highest earner apparently and bar one month last season when he was s*** hot he's done nothing to suggest he's a £10 million player, but spend £10 million on him they did and they've now got to decide whether they write him off or go back to him with a new contract offer in the hope he'll hit some form in a year or two and they're able to claw some cash back.

Johnson got 10 goals from midfield last season, without which I'm sure we'd have been relegated. He's like almost every winger I've ever seen, inconsistent, but I think £10 million was a fair price for him.

Great result for you lot yesterday and I'm starting to fear the derby game already.

No need to fear, we are managed by Alan Pardew ;)