Manchester City vs. Newcastle United - 19/08/13 @ 8pm (Sky Sports 1)

Elliottman
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surely, if he's to be a regular starter, he'd need to be able to compete against opponents like that?

Well not entirely so, Baines is one of the best attacking full backs in the league, very few like him and Marv was just thrown in at the deep end. If he had of been a regular starter, he might have adapted better, who knows? However to give him his first chance and one his main roles was to keep Baines quiet, was just a joke that was never going to end well for him personally.

Marveaux really shouldn't have had that shocker away at Everton last year, it's the only time I remember him playing on the wing that season and has led to manager and fans deciding he's s*** on the wing and belongs on the bench instead.

That was shambolic management from Pardew to put Marv on the wing and expect him to keep Baines quiet, got absolutely raped every time it went down that side. I think Marv can be a decent winger but when you give him a game in which to attack and not basically just defend an attacking fullback.

I'll bet Baines would have been a bit more wary of attacking if Marv was behind him instead of in front of him a bit more in that game. Marveaux can do some serious damage in the final third of the pitch, unlike most of our attacking players.

Guest icemanblue

Surely, if he's to be a regular starter, he'd need to be able to compete against opponents like that?

Well not entirely so, Baines is one of the best attacking full backs in the league, very few like him and Marv was just thrown in at the deep end. If he had of been a regular starter, he might have adapted better, who knows? However to give him his first chance and one his main roles was to keep Baines quiet, was just a joke that was never going to end well for him personally.

I can see where you're coming from. But, he should be capable of a lot better than the performance he put in.

I feel slightly more reassured now that Pardew has confirmed "we are prepared"!!! NOT

(Cisse up front on his own, Jonas to start, 4-5-1, keep it tight)

Looking forward to it in an ironic sense just to see if he really has changed anything at all over the summer.  I won't be disappointed if he has not, as I was not expecting him too anyway!

Marveaux should only take a wide spot in a 4-2-3-1 when Ben Arfa's injured, they're too similar, an issue compounded by our goal-shy midfielders. That's why Remy is perfect for our team, he has enough ability on the ball to start wide but has striker's movement and instincts meaning he will make runs off the ball, and we desperately need that as only Cisse has that mentality at present.

I really hope we see this one day, it's a front 6 that would give anyone in the league a hard time:

Sissoko  Cabaye

HBA  Marveaux  Remy

Cisse

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

With all players fit id love to see a 4-3-1-2 with attacking wing backs. Debuchy and Santon both have great attackign ability from deep so I really think it could work.

Krul

Debuchy        Saylor            Coloccini        Santon

Sissoko  Anita      Cabaye

HBA

Cisse            Remy

Good idea playing narrow and leaving our fullbacks exposed to their wingers and fullbacks who like getting forward  :lol:

Think we'll hang on for 60 mins or so, maybe even taking the lead against the run of play, thus making the last 30 minutes of rape so much worse. Won't be rape of NUFC without giving us hope of not getring raped first.

This might sound crazy but I think we'll score a goal tonight.

End today joint bottom with Swansea.

Obviously I'd be ecstastic with a win but if we don't have a good result, I'm really hoping it'll give us a kick up the arse regarding getting a transfer sorted..

clutching at straws? why yes, yes I am

With all players fit id love to see a 4-3-1-2 with attacking wing backs. Debuchy and Santon both have great attackign ability from deep so I really think it could work.

Krul

Debuchy        Saylor            Coloccini        Santon

Sissoko  Anita      Cabaye

HBA

Cisse            Remy

Good idea playing narrow and leaving our fullbacks exposed to their wingers and fullbacks who like getting forward  :lol:

That's why its important to keep the ball and press very high with intensity.

Look at Liverpool their fullbacks provide the width but its effective because they press high with intensity and keep the ball well.

Pardew would never do it though.

FOOTBALL BEGINS TODAY! :frantic:

COME ON! :yeah:

No it doesn't, it begins when we play Morecambe.

Not sure if serious. I understand ignoring today as the start of the season as we'll clearly get bummed, but writing off West Ham at home as well? :lol:

In one way, its exciting to have football again, but 2 things bring that excitement right back down to earth.

1) Pardew

2) This forum - god help us if we lose

The forum is realistically pessimistic to be fair. The management at the club is laughable at best, so a lot of us are just apathetic. Anyone who feels worse after tonight though is just getting a reality check because most of us know we're going to be well beaten, unless we lose about 7 or 8-0 of course. :lol:

We may not lose by that many goals, but what we'll do nicely is come out with our tail between our legs and concede early. Maybe 2-0 after 25 mins and then both teams will just play out the remainder of the game. Maybe ending 3-0 or something.