Manchester City vs. Newcastle United - 19/08/13 @ 8pm (Sky Sports 1)

Elliottman
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise

Ladies and gentlemen, Newcastle United will be playing 5-4-fucking-1.

Sooner have ol' Bassett than the twat we have tbh. Or even Bertie Masson.  :lol:

Considering we're away to one of the title favourites, I don't actually mind if Jonas starts tomorrow. His defensive contribution is important in fixtures like this, and he has had a relatively good pre-season. If he's still in the team the week after when we play West Ham at home however...

Considering we're away to one of the title favourites, I don't actually mind if Jonas starts tomorrow. His defensive contribution is important in fixtures like this, and he has had a relatively good pre-season. If he's still in the team the week after when we play West Ham at home however...

That's the type of selection you'd make if you were only trying to lose 3-0. Sure, he'll cover the fullback all game, but his total lack of footballing ability and willingness to provide proper offensive support will only invite huge amounts of pressure - and I don't want us to be defending more than we have to against Man City. Plus, it'll make it much harder for us to create anything.

That's the type of selection you'd make if you were only trying to lose 3-0. Sure, he'll cover the fullback all game, but his total lack of footballing ability and willingness to provide proper offensive support will only invite huge amounts of pressure - and I don't want us to be defending more than we have to against Man City. Plus, it'll make it much harder for us to create anything.

Not for me. It's the type of selection I would make if I was expecting a though match but fancied my chances to get something from if we keep things tight defensively. It would mean putting energy and determination before football ability. There's a place for that in football, and I think this is it. Besides, I think Jonas releases pressure better than somebody like Marveaux, who I would just expect to go missing in a game like this.

I'd rather lose 3-0 having a go than 4-0 being ultra defensive like last season.

Wat?

Everybody would rather lose 3-0 playing well than 4-0 playing badly. The point is I'd rather draw 1-1 playing defensively than lose 3-0 getting picked off trying to match Man City at their own game..

Guest bimpy474

I'd rather lose 3-0 having a go than 4-0 being ultra defensive like last season.

Wat?

Everybody would rather lose 3-0 playing well than 4-0 playing badly. The point is I'd rather draw 1-1 playing defensively than lose 3-0 getting picked off trying to match Man City at their own game..

I dont mean i want us to lose at all, i meant, say we played like last season and give the result up, i'd rather we lost having a go than being ultra defensive. At least give it a go.

I do, it makes little sense if you consider pardew will start with at least one holding midfielder.

I think whenever Jonas plays we look unbalanced

We'd probably end up losing 5-0 if we go too adventurous with this team. To go at them we need goalscorers in the team. We've got Cisse, and maybe Sissoko. In an open game they've got cannons and we've got squirty pistols. I think we need Remy or Gomis in the side before we go too gung ho.

Not for me. It's the type of selection I would make if I was expecting a though match but fancied my chances to get something from if we keep things tight defensively. It would mean putting energy and determination before football ability. There's a place for that in football, and I think this is it. Besides, I think Jonas releases pressure better than somebody like Marveaux, who I would just expect to go missing in a game like this.

It's not like not picking Jonas massively compromises our ability to defend. And Marveaux's an infinitely better footballer who would help us retain possession higher up the pitch and create more chances. Surely that's a more effective way to release pressure than picking someone who will just cover the fullback all game, whether or not you think he'll 'go missing' aside?

:lol: if we're defensive we'll get dicked even more heavily than if we were to have a go.

We'll be inviting pressure onto ourselves, 2 or 3 will go in, heads will drop and it'll turn into a rout.  In the non-existent world whereby Pardew would tell us to go out and try and cause them a problem or two, they would actually have to work for a result.

However in the real world, where football is seemingly all about damage limitation,  Man City will get the 3 points without getting out of second gear.

Guest Phil K

.....we should be able to put out a pretty decent side easily capable of competing in midfield, provided we don't just sit back and concede possession.

Which is of course exactly what we'll do

We'll get the same zero points whatever we do unfortunately.

Guest bimpy474

Thought we were doing alright myself but then two goals right before half time killed us.

Aye but we didn't threaten them much, it was about keeping them out, i just want us to worry them rather than just hope to nick something and hang on. And i dont mean go too attacking, we can attack without being reckless.

The best way to beat any big team is to put them under pressure and attack them.

Its proven time and time again that whether its City, Chelsea, Man Yoo or anyone else they don't like it.

Putting players like Jonas and Tiote who can't hurt them in anyway imaginable is suicide and asking for a heavy defeat.

Which is why I never understood the notion about preferring Jonas and Tiote to Anita or Marveaux even in big games.

At least the latter can keep the ball from them and force  them backwards all Jonas and Tiote do is delay the inevitable for about 10 mins.

It's not like not picking Jonas massively compromises our ability to defend. And Marveaux's an infinitely better footballer who would help us retain possession higher up the pitch and create more chances. Surely that's a more effective way to release pressure than picking someone who will just cover the fullback all game, whether or not you think he'll 'go missing' aside?

Forgot about Marveaux, he's definitely capable of a goal. If he's fit then he's got to be worth a go.

:anguish: