Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Clearly keeping him around for his leadership in the dressing room and influence amongst the lads. Seriously do see him hanging it up and just joining our coaching setup at some level. Rafa said numerous times he sees PD getting into coaching and could be a top one. 

I reckon it's a numbers game. Possibly can't afford to lose another defender, especially when Fernandez, Manquillo, Krafth, Lewis, Clark and Lascelles all could go.

I'm guessing Dummett is on quite a low wage too.  Ultimately, we aren't going to sign 4/5 defenders, so having a local lad who won't kick up a fuss and can play in two positions isn't the worst thing.

He won't get many games at all next year but it seems late in the day for him to be demanding first team, so I can totally understand him wanting to stay on.

Edited by STM

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I reckon it's a numbers game. Possibly can't afford to lose another defender, especially when Fernandez, Manquillo, Krafth, Lewis, Clark and Lascelles all could go.

I'm guessing Dummett is on quite a low wage too.  Ultimately, we aren't going to sign 4/5 defenders, so having a local lad who won't kick up a fuss and can play in two positions isn't the worst thing.

He won't get many games at all next year but it seems late in the day for him to be demanding first team, so I can totally understand him wanting to stay on.

We're being far too optimistic if we think we can shift them.

Must be great around the dressing room, will provide cover for the cover and is on a small wage. People need to get over the idea of us shipping out every ‘bad’ player we have and replacing them in one window. 

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

We're being far too optimistic if we think we can shift them.

Lewis & Clark have been written off, Fernandez will go. I could see one of Manquillo or Lascelles leaving too at a push. Leaves us with one defensive signing we can make on top of extending Targett or replacing him.

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Lewis & Clark have been written off, Fernandez will go. I could see one of Manquillo or Lascelles leaving too at a push. Leaves us with one defensive signing we can make on top of extending Targett or replacing him.

Yeah I agree.

Trippier, Schar, Dummett, Burn and a new LB (probably Targett) will all be on the books.

I think we'll also keep Krafth and Lascelles which leaves room for another CB.

We'll then have Targett, Dummett and Burn who can all play LB.

Burn, Dummett, Schar, Lascelles and new player to play CB and Trippier and Krafth at RB.

Plenty of cover.

I genuinely only see us signing 4 players maximum, one of which will be Targett.

We'll then add a CB, RW, and a striker.

Don't see it as a big deal at all tbh. He won't play much and I think it's sensible to retain a healthy proportion of the no-dickheads club, particularly as we transition into a sexier outfit with classier players who need anchoring to that ethos. If it means Lewis is off then so fuck, he's rubbish. 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

What a dreadful decision that is.

Will hold up a valuable squad place.

Trippier, Krafth, Manquillo, Lewis and Dummett will be our full-backs as of 1st June. You'd presume one will just be replaced like for like, as happened in January with Lewis/Targett. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Trippier, Krafth, Manquillo, Lewis and Dummett will be our full-backs as of 1st June. You'd presume one will just be replaced like for like, as happened in January with Lewis/Targett. 

Lewis effectively replaces Targett who will likely in turn be replaced by Targett.