Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

I can see there's another Paul Dummett debate going on. Personally I love the guy. He's one of the best defensive left backs in the league.

In an ideal world we would sign a quality attacking left back to compete with him but...

Fucking hell :lol:

He’s in good form aye, but he’s still fairly fucking crap like :lol: He barely set the Championship alight and he’s very susceptible to a diagonal ball over the top, as he has been for his whole career.

One of the best defensive LBs in the league :lol: Jesus wept.

Honestly reckon that’s one of the worst statements I’ve ever seen on here like.

He barely makes a defensive mistake. That makes him a very good defender.

Rafa rates him highly but now you've spoken on the subject, Rafa will have to change his mind.

Rafa plays him because we have no other alternative - that’s entirely different to rating him highly.

It’s no surprise that we have been rumoured to be looking for a new LB in each of the last two transfer windows, he cant rate him that highly. If Rafa had the money to replace him, he’d probably have been sold by now.

‘He barely makes a defensive mistake’ - other than this purple patch of his, you couldn’t have watched him much. It’s the age old myth that because he’s absolutely appalling with the ball, he must be a decent defender. He’s not. He’s Championship standard.

Diame is in a similar purple patch, but I doubt many would claim he’s the best CM in the PL :lol: That is as silly a suggestion as Dummett being one of the best defensive LBs in the league.

Lots of revisionism here. 

Simpson got stick primarily because he was a hoof merchant.

I seem to remember Simpson getting rinsed on the regular tbf. You can't really accuse Dummett of the same for a good while now.

On Simpson being a hoof merchant, you remember the pass he played to Sissoko to set up Cisse's goal away at Benfica? Glorious  :lol:

I seem to remember Simpson getting rinsed on the regular tbf. You can't really accuse Dummett of the same for a good while now.

On Simpson being a hoof merchant, you remember the pass he played to Sissoko to set up Cisse's goal away at Benfica? Glorious  :lol:

He didn’t really get rinsed regularly. He would back off a lot but constantly rinsed? Nah.

Aye I think he had another one in that tie.  Amazing stuff lol.

He didn’t really get rinsed regularly. He would back off a lot but constantly rinsed? Nah.

Aye I think he had another one in that tie.  Amazing stuff lol.

Fair enough, I probably remember him as a poorer player than he actually was/is. Other than clearing off the line on numerous occasions, I can't remember him being particularly good at anything though.

It isn’t easy to find a FB as good as Dummett defensively Who is considerably better going forward. 

Usually they will just be much better going forward. 

LB is one position Rafa hasn’t signed a first choice. Dummett with a couple others are the rare who are rarely rotated when fit.

He didn’t need to sign a LB last season because Dummett was playing at his level, the Championship. And well, he signed Lazaar which never worked out - so he did try.

He has tried to sign a LB in the last two windows but has been refused the finance to do so.

He’s also not rotated because there are no other LBs that are able to play. Haidara is crap, Manquillo/Mbemba would be playing out of position.

None of the above is evidence for Dummett being a good defender, it’s just evidence that Ashley is a tosser. Watching Dummett playing shockingly in some games last season at a lower level (he was appalling at Forest before he was wrong sent off, for example) and in every season before that was more than enough evidence that he’s absolutely crap.

His current purple patch is nothing other than that, just like Diame. If we are taken over in the summer, he’ll rightly be replaced.

If Simpson wasn’t a particularly good defender what type of defenders are Yedlin, Janmaat, Santon et al?

In the relegation season Janmaat got 6 assists. Yet he directly cost us many more goals. 

Iirc he was eventually dropped by Rafa because he was a liability. 

Janmaat didn’t get nearly as much stick for being a crap defender because he could play some which is hustling backwards imo. 

No he wasn't. Santon was awful. Cost us so many goals, out of position loads, jogged back, let runners go, rarely contributed going forward etc... but he had a nice first touch, comfortable moving forward with the ball then passing it sideways so he didn't get stick here.

He was still better than Simpson. Simpson made a few clearances from corners and benefitted from the whole "If you never attack people say you're better at defending."

The only merit this post has is yes - Simpson was likely goal side when you needed him to be unlike Santon who would saunter back. For a team always more likely to concede more goals in a season than score, it is helpful.

Santon was so bad defensively and purposeless going forward I thought Haidara would be a better option ffs. He were pap too.

We seemed to be doing fine without him defensively when we were flying the first couple of months by the way. Up until November it was only Spurs & Southampton where we conceded two or more. It seemed to be when Lascelles was injured that we started leaking and even then, Watford at home was the only result that stands out like a sore thumb. Better defences than us have been cuffed by Vardy & Mahrez and two of the heavy defeats were at Man U & Chelsea. Again, not out of place for a newly promoted side.

Without his pace Yedlin would be piss poor. He gets forward but when he reach the opponents box he panics coz he has 0 creativity and his defending is nothing special. His pace makes him able to be "in the way" and once in a while he delivers a good cross...not often enough for my liking.

Both him and Dummett would be good/ideal backups for the next couple of years or so imo.

A bit more difficult for players to rinse you when you've backed off from the halfway line, all the way to the byline. He was terrible, an absolute fanny.