Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Credit where it is due with Dummett tbh. He has improved us since coming back. I have to say I've noticed him contributing a bit more at the other end as well. Nothing to shout home about, but a little better than before. I have way more confidence in him at LB than anyone else in the squad now.

He still looks absolutely awful bringing the ball out, I don't see any improvement at all there. But I did always say he was a solid enough defender, so for me nothing's changed much.

Think he's played well since he's returned and I've never been a fan of his.  Watching him again did remind me of how frustrating it is to watch him from a technical viewpoint.  He is basically incapable of playing one touch passes.  Every time the ball comes to him, he has to take a touch to control it and then pass it.

But we have looked more solid since he's back, so long may it continue.

Aye, that's not the strongest point to make like. [emoji38] The Simpson and Williamson tag team were relentless hoof merchants.

Or pass the ball to Hatem and hope he does something. Simpson does the same with Mahrez

Because when you're paid millions of pounds to play football, not being scared on the ball is a pretty big thing.

And actually, this is just absolute nonsense. Danny Simpson won the league ffs :lol:

You want footballers to be good on the ball but it's by no means a requirement if they have other attributes which are effective. There's countless examples throughout football of players who lack in key areas but make up for it elsewhere and are an asset to their side.

I'd say in our current state Paul Dummett is definitely an asset.

Simpson wasn't shit scared of the ball. His decision making wasn't the best, and another factor was instruction from Pardew which obviously was a direct game.

You need a balance. Beresford. Bernard & Elliott (version 1) weren't "great" full-backs. I wouldn't say any of them were particularly brilliant defensively or Roberto Carlos like attack wise but they were balanced. They did a good job at the back and offered something the other way too. If we're happy with Dummett we're not going to be anything other than a relegation candidate. Which is coincidently what we've been every season in this league where he's been the first choice left-back.

Guest alijmitchell

Credit where it is due with Dummett tbh. He has improved us since coming back. I have to say I've noticed him contributing a bit more at the other end as well. Nothing to shout home about, but a little better than before. I have way more confidence in him at LB than anyone else in the squad now.

He still looks absolutely awful bringing the ball out, I don't see any improvement at all there. But I did always say he was a solid enough defender, so for me nothing's changed much.

My memory is shite, but I’m fairly sure I remember him whipping in a few dangerous crosses in and one we could have scored from as well as a decent(ish) near post shot attempt from him. Obviously in tight spaces he’s still pretty bad, but I think he has slightly improved going forward

I can see there's another Paul Dummett debate going on. Personally I love the guy. He's one of the best defensive left backs in the league.

In an ideal world we would sign a quality attacking left back to compete with him but...

I can see there's another Paul Dummett debate going on. Personally I love the guy. He's one of the best defensive left backs in the league.

In an ideal world we would sign a quality attacking left back to compete with him but...

Really?  Understand thinking he's competent, but that seems a bit overboard.

Really?  Understand thinking he's competent, but that seems a bit overboard.

Most of the better fullbacks in this league are better because of what they can do at the other end of the pitch. Defensively he's solid as a rock.

Can see both sides of this debate. No problem with him at all at the moment, we've been much better in defence with him back (maybe he's a player that's improving under Rafa...?!) but at the same time I continue to think he's very limited and we could surely do much better.

But yeah, lots of credit due for his current form. It's doing us a lot of good. :thup:

Guest alijmitchell

Also much to do with the expectations, context and opposition too. Last year we saw a lot of the ball and were expected to play through teams, and Dummett got criticised by many (including myself) for lacking in ability. This year, we’re a bit more limited in what we can try to do going forward, so the stuff he does well (the defending side) gets amplified. I still think his game has improved this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fucking hell :lol:

He’s in good form aye, but he’s still fairly fucking crap like :lol: He barely set the Championship alight and he’s very susceptible to a diagonal ball over the top, as he has been for his whole career.

One of the best defensive LBs in the league :lol: Jesus wept.

Honestly reckon that’s one of the worst statements I’ve ever seen on here like.

My memory is shite, but I’m fairly sure I remember him whipping in a few dangerous crosses in and one we could have scored from as well as a decent(ish) near post shot attempt from him. Obviously in tight spaces he’s still pretty bad, but I think he has slightly improved going forward

He's always been able to whip the odd decent cross in, it's nothing new. Problem is you aren't going to see that very often because he can't run with the ball or get involved in passing moves to get that far up the pitch because he doesn't want the ball basically.

I think who plays as our left winger matters a lot as well. Kenedy is so good that even Dummett just provides minimal support, we are still able to attack from the left effectively.

If we are still playing Gouffran....

I think who plays as our left winger matters a lot as well. Kenedy is so good that even Dummett just provides minimal support, we are still able to attack from the left effectively.

If we are still playing Gouffran....

Definitely something in this. He's quite the athlete I must say, can run all day. Can't fault the lad for industry.

Fucking hell :lol:

He’s in good form aye, but he’s still fairly fucking crap like :lol: He barely set the Championship alight and he’s very susceptible to a diagonal ball over the top, as he has been for his whole career.

One of the best defensive LBs in the league :lol: Jesus wept.

Honestly reckon that’s one of the worst statements I’ve ever seen on here like.

He barely makes a defensive mistake. That makes him a very good defender.

Rafa rates him highly but now you've spoken on the subject, Rafa will have to change his mind.

Rafa rates him highly but now you've spoken on the subject, Rafa will have to change his mind.

Rates him higher than Manquilo, Ritchie and Mbemba all out of position. It's not a high bar.

This is it really. McClaren tried getting Siquiera, Rafa tried and failed with Lazaar and couldn't get Targett in, so it's clearly somewhere management see room for improvement in. Dummett just happens to be the best we've got.

Rates him higher than Manquilo, Ritchie and Mbemba all out of position. It's not a high bar.

I suspect he rates him much higher than that. It's same debate that comes around every now and then. Some don't rate him, some do, it's all about opinions.

What I can tell you is that for the last few seasons, we've been much better with him in the side.

Dummet has been good since he returned but us improving defensively with him in the side was a given anyway.

In his absence we mainly had Manquillo playing there and even if they were equal in ability, which they're not, having a left footed player playing left back is always going to help.

I suspect he rates him much higher than that. It's same debate that comes around every now and then. Some don't rate him, some do, it's all about opinions.

What I can tell you is that for the last few seasons, we've been much better with him in the side.

That's not much of an accomplishment given that he's had nobody even remotely challenging him.

That's not saying much, it's because he is a decent defender and the rest aren't. I would have thought Rafa would want a left back who is good going forward as well at some point to fit his style of play. Pure defenders are fine for long ball teams, but if you want to play your way out, then you need defenders who can bring the ball out. But they cost a lot of money and we are a long way from being able to spend it, so it's not a priority at the moment.