Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Guest Howaythetoon

Simpson was an OK player for us, nowhere near as bad as often made out. Dummett is similar, unlike Simpson, however, he isn’t an athlete. I’d rate him as a good solid dependable defender, an awful footballer, and simply not an athlete. Given the way we play, he’s a key player for us and helps solidify the defence. Going forward I’d want more in a full-back, but that’s one for another day.

Dummett is very athletic like. It's what helps him defensively.

I wouldn’t go that far like. He’s strong and quick enough, but an athlete he is not.

It’s clearly Rafa trusts him and sees him as a steady eddy type who can come in, follow his commands and instructions and do a job defensively which is what he requires from his full backs at current. Long term again I’d like to see a massive upgrade because attacking wise he hampers that side of our game massively. He’s the least of our worries though and good on him for coming in and doing well. As a squad player I have no issues with him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Abilities aside, he'll never satisfy all of us obviously. He though carries out Rafa instructions to the letter and in that regard Rafa trust him, something massive in Rafa's management, a player he can trust.

Aye it’s why Ritchie is a mainstay in the side.

Abilities aside, he'll never satisfy all of us obviously. He though carries out Rafa instructions to the letter and in that regard Rafa trust him, something massive in Rafa's management, a player he can trust.

Aye it’s why Ritchie is a mainstay in the side.

Yep and why Mitro and Mbemba especially don't get games.

He's much better than Manquillo at LB, but that's not saying much. I don't like him, I think he's severely limited, and as a result limits us. His limitations was one of the reasons why we went down, he just wasn't good enough at Premier League level. Ok he's improved since, but I don't think he's capable of being at the level the club should be aiming to be at, or at a level Rafa would want us at. Once the summer has came, he should be no more than a squad player for us.

Still have nightmares about Simpson’s aimless diagonal clipped crosses into the box. Bloody awful and the amount of times he scuppered promising moves drove me crazy.

Dummett is limited from an attacking sense but is aware of that. He’ll make occasional runs to take pressure off the man on the ball and create space, but if he does get a chance to hit a first time cross he will. Pretty basic but doesn’t turn over possession needlessly when high up the pitch.

Fair enough he suffers from moments of safety first defending but with our current limitations would rather have the chance to reset and defend than get caught out giving it away too close to our own goal.

Still have nightmares about Simpson’s aimless diagonal clipped crosses into the box. Bloody awful and the amount of times he scuppered promising moves drove me crazy.

Dummett is limited from an attacking sense but is aware of that. He’ll make occasional runs to take pressure off the man on the ball and create space, but if he does get a chance to hit a first time cross he will. Pretty basic but doesn’t turn over possession needlessly when high up the pitch.

Fair enough he suffers from moments of safety first defending but with our current limitations would rather have the chance to reset and defend than get caught out giving it away too close to our own goal.

Premier League winner Simpson you mean?  :p (no i didn't see that one coming either)

One of the reasons we struggle to score is our inability to get players forward, with 2 fullbacks pushing forward we have needed our midfield to hold position a lot more. With Dummett moving in as a 3rd CB it allows Shelvey and Diame to take more risks in the opponents half.

When him and Clark play on the left hand side of defence it reminds me of the right-hand side of defence circa 2012/13 just aimlessly hoofing it.

Lifting.

Yeah it's awful, the main reason Lejeune has to play.

Agree, with both of you.

It could be that Rafa has played a blinder with Lejeune though. He basically re-started his career with us against Man U, and he looked as good as he did against Spurs.

I like Dummett, while it would be nice to have a better option to attack from the left back position I'm entirely fine with having a solid defender there

Dummett is the ideal squad player, can do a job and is reliable. If we get taken over and Rafa's still here next season, I would expect he'd be looking for an upgrade fairly soon if he's given a decent transfer spend.

Lots of revisionism here. 

Simpson got stick primarily because he was a hoof merchant.

I seem to recall it had more to do with him continually backing off until the attacker was in a perfect shooting or crossing position. He also retreated into himself after getting rinsed once and we would effectively be playing with 10 men.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of revisionism here. 

Simpson got stick primarily because he was a hoof merchant.

I seem to recall it had more to do with him continually backing off until the attacker was in a perfect shooting or crossing position. He also retreated into himself after getting rinsed once and we would effectively be playing with 10 men.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on, don't really remember him hoofing it much.

Winning the title with Leicester certainly doesn't make him a good footballer, either. They didn't win it in spite of him because no doubt he had a good season but I'm certain he was one of their weaker players.

Simpson was ok going forward and ok defensively, where as Dummett is poor going forward and good defensively. That's how I see it anyway.

I saw Santon mentioned, he was very graceful across the pitch but wasn't particular good at either end of the pitch. Then again, he was young and managed by Alan Pardew.