Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

The stats for Dummett are pretty convincing for his inclusion both this season and other seasons since his debut really.

By all means sign someone better but for now he is the only viable choice and even with a new signing should be the first defender in the bench list for the long term.

Lots of revisionism here. 

Simpson got stick primarily because he was a hoof merchant.

I seem to remember Simpson getting rinsed on the regular tbf. You can't really accuse Dummett of the same for a good while now.

On Simpson being a hoof merchant, you remember the pass he played to Sissoko to set up Cisse's goal away at Benfica? Glorious  :lol:

He didn’t really get rinsed regularly. He would back off a lot but constantly rinsed? Nah.

A bit more difficult for players to rinse you when you've backed off from the halfway line, all the way to the byline. He was terrible, an absolute fanny.

I'm 90% sure I once saw him back off so far he bumped into the post once.

Guest Howaythetoon

Simpson was an OK player for us, nowhere near as bad as often made out. Dummett is similar, unlike Simpson, however, he isn’t an athlete. I’d rate him as a good solid dependable defender, an awful footballer, and simply not an athlete. Given the way we play, he’s a key player for us and helps solidify the defence. Going forward I’d want more in a full-back, but that’s one for another day.

Guest Howaythetoon

Defending is part of being a footballer.

I’m thinking more on general, he’s not a very good footballer in terms of being able to pass the ball, technique, skill etc. As a defender he has shown he is quite competent and for us at the moment that’s good enough. Attacking wise, he hinders our game and ideally in the future I’d like to see us better equipped in those areas, right and left. Mind that goes for most positions...

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair to Dummy once he's facing the right direction he's very rapid. I'll defend him to the moon, he's vital to our defence and having an actual left winger ahead of him makes him look much better.

He has deceptive pace I’ll give him that, at the weekend he was in a race with Martial for example and beat him to the ball which surprised me.

Simpson was an OK player for us, nowhere near as bad as often made out. Dummett is similar, unlike Simpson, however, he isn’t an athlete. I’d rate him as a good solid dependable defender, an awful footballer, and simply not an athlete. Given the way we play, he’s a key player for us and helps solidify the defence. Going forward I’d want more in a full-back, but that’s one for another day.

Dummett is very athletic like. It's what helps him defensively.

Dummett is quite slow over the first couple of yards but his top-end pace easily matches most wingers.  It’s not often you see him get done in a race.

FWIW i’m not a huge fan of his as he’s so awkward with the ball, BUT i have a seen some signs of improvement in recent months - his forward passing seems a little bit more crisp so maybe it’s something he’s working hard on?  Defensively he’s decent and has defintely improved that position since he came back, although it’s fair to say being an upgrade on an out-of-positon Manquillo isn’t really a huge compliment.

I’d like to see him stay at the club but ideally i’d like to see us sign a more attack-minded left back for certain fixtures where the opposition sit deep and try to frustrate us (Brighton for example).  Dummett is ideal for games where we know we’re not going to have a lot of posession though.

Dummett is very athletic like. It's what helps him defensively.

He also seems to have a good knack of reading a dangerous situation quickly and making timely runs to intercept something.

Manager Benítez said: "If you talk about players that are important for the team, normally people talk about goalscorers, midfielders and number tens but in modern football, there are not too many consistent left-sided full-backs.

"Paul is exactly that; he understands the game and you know what you can expect from him week in, week out. That's important when you have a lot of big games. He's a player you can trust.

"He was unlucky to miss the first four months of the season through injury, but he's a player who is quick to learn and knows his job really well. His return has given us more competition in a position where we did not have too much before, so we're really pleased to keep him."