Morecambe vs. Newcastle United - 28/08/13 @ 7.45pm (Sky Sports 4)

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

‘I do feel if you carry a squad of 22-23 professional players and you don’t use eight of them, that’s wrong. We have paid something in the region of £15-16m on young players at this club and they really need to come to the fore now.

‘I feel last year they didn’t do themselves justice in the Premier League when they played and in the cup competitions. That’s not good enough. If they don’t do it this year, we’ll draw a line under one or two of them. It’s a big game for one or two individuals, who we think are good enough to play in the Premier League, but haven’t shown it.

‘I expect to win with the team I put it out, trust me. I wouldn’t pick it otherwise, but these young players have to come to the fore. The players are under a bit of pressure and they have to react to that.’

Agree entirely with the "what's the point, we never get a lucky draw and will find arsenal or chelsea in the round after" sentiment. The teams that win it as unlikely winners are the ones who don't face a big team til the semis or final; we always get them in round 3 or 4.

Who knows, maybe this is our year to avoid the big teams? :cheesy:

We're bound to face Chelsea or a Manchester sooner or later, beat them, then lose to Swindon Town.

To a Nile ranger goal?

‘I do feel if you carry a squad of 22-23 professional players and you don’t use eight of them, that’s wrong. We have paid something in the region of £15-16m on young players at this club and they really need to come to the fore now.

‘I feel last year they didn’t do themselves justice in the Premier League when they played and in the cup competitions. That’s not good enough. If they don’t do it this year, we’ll draw a line under one or two of them. It’s a big game for one or two individuals, who we think are good enough to play in the Premier League, but haven’t shown it.

‘I expect to win with the team I put it out, trust me. I wouldn’t pick it otherwise, but these young players have to come to the fore. The players are under a bit of pressure and they have to react to that.’

Fucking hell :anguish:

I don't see what he's said wrong this time tbh. As bad as Pardew's been, some of these fringe players have let themselves down in the cups in particular. If players like Vuckic, Sammy, Gosling want a future here, they should be going out and giving everything tonight. They're at the age now where they should be pushing for a place. If they can't handle a bit of pressure being put on them, they shouldn't be here.

O-Nut: to say they're on their last chance after he threw them to the wolves last season is disgraceful. If he wants to discuss accountability for performance in such strong terms he would do well to take a look in the mirror first. He will blame everyone and everything around him for as long as he can because he's a coward. The youth are his safety net tonight, when he should be theirs.

I don't see what he's said wrong this time tbh. As bad as Pardew's been, some of these fringe players have let themselves down in the cups in particular. If players like Vuckic, Sammy, Gosling want a future here, they should be going out and giving everything tonight. They're at the age now where they should be pushing for a place. If they can't handle a bit of pressure being put on them, they shouldn't be here.

They were let down by him far worse than what he feels they did in return but he's not man enough to shoulder that responsibility.

He can't handle any pressure at all.

We're not talking about 17-18 year olds thrown in at the deep end in an injury crisis, we're talking about footballers on big contracts, under 21 internationals, players who've played in Europe, in the Premier League. They should be remembering how shit they were at Brighton etc, and using that experience to make sure they don't feel like that after tonight.

Pardew deserves most of the shit he's been getting, but I think he's bang on there tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

We're not talking about 17-18 year olds thrown in at the deep end in an injury crisis, we're talking about footballers on big contracts, under 21 internationals, players who've played in Europe, in the Premier League. They should be remembering how shit they were at Brighton etc, and using that experience to make sure they don't feel like that after tonight.

Pardew deserves most of the shit he's been getting, but I think he's bang on there tbh.

:thup:

No one is on the other side of that argument O-Nut. The more senior of the youth should be stepping up (though I feel for them when even HBA & co struggle to look any good under Pardew's regime), but there's a reason he's said this in the press rather than privately: pre-emptive safeguarding against personal criticism.