NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tioté is very good at breaking up play, for both sides unfortunately. His wayward passes and constant spinning always puts our team in jeopardy.

To me he seems to be the most useful when he runs around all the midfield to harass the other players while someone is covering for him further behind. When he and Colback both play they both end up chasing the ball (imaginary or otherwise) and no one covering the gap behind them.

Didn't go that well when Tioté and Abeid played either. Only Abeid was in a more advanced role while Tioté was supposed to hold. We conceded at least one goal because Cheick wasn't anywhere near where he was supposed to be at the time, which was to defend the gap between the back line and the midfield.

We really need to use someone better than him now.

IMO football philosophy wise - NUFC is a swashbuckling, high-octane club. I don't think a possession based approach suits us or the crowd. Our best teams, dominated at times but where always quick, powerful and attacking but never possession for the sake of it. Similar to Man Utd in that respect. It would take patience (which we don't have) or a top, top manager like LVG to change that.

Man U did play a possession game, only it was very fast paced with lots of forward movement. A million miles from the deep sitting long ball game we've adopted under Pardew.

Forget Pardew man. I'm talking Sir Bob & Keegan.

Man Utd never "played a possession game". Never was keeping the ball for keeping the ball's sake a strategic maneuver. That's what they've got now under LVG. That was never the case under SAF. They attacked and pressed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11424827/Manchester-United-fans-must-stop-pining-for-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-champagne-football-that-era-is-over.html

Playing Brendan era "we won the possession" and finishing  11th and bowing out early of the cups isn't going to satisfy anyone. Or what Martinez did last season.

Tioté is very good at breaking up play, for both sides unfortunately. His wayward passes and constant spinning always puts our team in jeopardy.

To me he seems to be the most useful when he runs around all the midfield to harass the other players while someone is covering for him further behind. When he and Colback both play they both end up chasing the ball (imaginary or otherwise) and no one covering the gap behind them.

Didn't go that well when Tioté and Abeid played either. Only Abeid was in a more advanced role while Tioté was supposed to hold. We conceded at least one goal because Cheick wasn't anywhere near where he was supposed to be at the time, which was to defend the gap between the back line and the midfield.

We really need to use someone better than him now.

Tiote, Abeid and Anita are all defensive midfielders and there's no need to have more than one of them in the side on a given day. Sissoko's an attacking midfielder, and Colback is somewhere in between.

Tiote's ability to put pressure on opposing teams is probably his best attribute, he will hound and bully the fuck out of an opposing midfield, but only when he can be arsed unfortunately, hes either injured or cant be arsed, unless McClaren can properly motivate him I would rather he leaves, would still pick him every day of the week over Colback though, the scrawny ginger such and such.

IMO football philosophy wise - NUFC is a swashbuckling, high-octane club. I don't think a possession based approach suits us or the crowd. Our best teams, dominated at times but where always quick, powerful and attacking but never possession for the sake of it. Similar to Man Utd in that respect. It would take patience (which we don't have) or a top, top manager like LVG to change that.

Man U did play a possession game, only it was very fast paced with lots of forward movement. A million miles from the deep sitting long ball game we've adopted under Pardew.

Forget Pardew man. I'm talking Sir Bob & Keegan.

Man Utd never "played a possession game". Never was keeping the ball for keeping the ball's sake a strategic maneuver. That's what they've got now under LVG. That was never the case under SAF. They attacked and pressed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11424827/Manchester-United-fans-must-stop-pining-for-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-champagne-football-that-era-is-over.html

Playing Brendan era "we won the possession" and finishing  11th and bowing out early of the cups isn't going to satisfy anyone. Or what Martinez did last season.

Alright, for the sake of not getting lost in the pedantics, forget about the term possession, we'll call it passing football instead. Man U played passing football on the deck with lots of pace and forward movement. If that's what you're advocating then I'm all for it. Man U most definitely didn't ask their keeper to boot it long towards the centre forward who was deployed on the wing which has been our modus operandi for the past 5 years.

Tiote's ability to put pressure on opposing teams is probably his best attribute, he will hound and bully the fuck out of an opposing midfield, but only when he can be arsed unfortunately, hes either injured or cant be arsed, unless McClaren can properly motivate him I would rather he leaves, would still pick him every day of the week over Colback though, the scrawny ginger such and such.

This.

Tiote's "wayward passing" is a bit of a myth. His pass completion rates are very high. His problem is he takes too long on the ball and only passes sideways. He tries to do too much on and off the ball.

He usually has the ball more than anyone else in the midfield. Which is why he has a higher success rate on passes. Most of them are as you say short sideway passes. But when he tries something slightly more difficult it is nine times out of ten a wayward pass. He still mess up the simple ones quite often too.

Tiote's ability to put pressure on opposing teams is probably his only attribute, he will hound and bully the f*** out of an opposing midfield, but only when he can be arsed unfortunately, hes either injured or cant be arsed, unless McClaren can properly motivate him I would rather he leaves, would still pick him every day of the week over Colback though, the scrawny ginger such and such.

What I was saying, he's effective and a brilliant player to have when he's doing nothing more than the only element of his game that he's capable of.

Guest Roger Kint

The full north east media are at the training ground today, wonder if any of them think about doing there jobs and ask for updates on transfers.

Dont be silly, they would be frogmarched out

In the last game of the season Vurn played a quality high pressing and intercepting game with far more quality and intelligence than you'll get out of Tiote. Really hope McLaren see's this.

Tiote is finished unless proves otherwise. The amount of goals as a result of his inability to keep possession or mis time a tackle and force a free kick that has led to a goal is staggering

Tiote's ability to put pressure on opposing teams is probably his best attribute, he will hound and bully the f*** out of an opposing midfield, but only when he can be arsed unfortunately, hes either injured or cant be arsed, unless McClaren can properly motivate him I would rather he leaves, would still pick him every day of the week over Colback though, the scrawny ginger such and such.

Anyone remember how Samuel Eto'o shrugged him off the ball like he wasn't even there? Eto'o is 34 while Colback is ten years younger, it was embarrassing to see. :lol:

Tiote is finished unless proves otherwise. The amount of goals as a result of his inability to keep possession or mis time a tackle and force a free kick that has led to a goal is staggering

It's hardly staggering like.

It's hardly staggering like.

Naw it's staggering. Not staggering is Dropout's love-in for him.

If Tiote would sort his life out (he may be rejuvenated having played under SmC before, who knows?) I think him and Anita would be a good 2 deep lying midfielders to have if we wanted to play a similar style of short-passing, quick moving possesion football that Swansea do.

Tiote receiving the ball from defenders has cost us enough goals over the years, thanks. Not to mention the fact it usually means his partner has to sit deeper than he really should in order to negate Cheick's weaknesses.

Aye and Tiote on his game playing as nothing more than a juggernaut to break up play and sit back has also saved us from conceding many goals over a period of time too. Aye he's been shite lately, but when Pardew was using him as a fucking deep-lying playmaker I don't know what you'd expect.

3 years of utterly shit performances isn't 'lately'.

I expect decent performances from a well paid player. As in doing the basics well, not getting booked every game, protecting the defence, occasionally scoring the odd goal etc.

You might want to consider the fact we've conceded more goals in that period than (I'd guess) any other PL club when talking about his ability to save us from 'conceding many goals' too.