NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why are we even still looking for strikers? We have already got 3 in. Surely we trust at least one of them to make the grade?

Any of them likely to hit 10 PL goals? Can't see it.

Nada, not a chance  :lol:

Course there is, in fact if we look at all the players we've signed I'd bet one of them will get 10 or more.

I have a feeling we'll see about 6-8 goals each from De Jong, Riviere and Cabella. I quite like the look of Riviere though and think he could maybe hit 10 or 11, but I don't see him setting the league on fire.

That leaves Cisse, Gouffran, Sissoko, Perez and Ferreyra (with anything from Campbell/Armstrong/Vuckic/Obertan/HBA/Aarons/Sammy a bonus) to try and get 20 or so between them - and the bulk of those will probably come from Cisse if he gets fit fast enough. Can't see Sissoko getting more than 4 or 5, the others bar Ferreyra getting 4 or 5 between them and Ferreyra as an unknown quantity.

Our defence just don't ever score goals, so if we get 3 or 4 all season from the defenders (+ Anita, Colback, Tiote and Abeid) then that's probably a shit load more than I'd expect.

tl;dr version: we'll struggle to score a goal a game in the league without a good quality forward coming in.

A fee that could rise to £15 million has also been agreed for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, but the player is still in need of convincing that a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/a-tale-of-two-cities-how-geordie-cloud-drifted-over-sunderland-9652632.html

Shocked if true.

All over twittor, probs just nabbed it from that.

A fee that could rise to £15 million has also been agreed for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette, but the player is still in need of convincing that a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/a-tale-of-two-cities-how-geordie-cloud-drifted-over-sunderland-9652632.html

Shocked if true.

All over twittor, probs just nabbed it from that.

That one liner from the independent is the root of this all.  Nothing in this I think.

I have a feeling we'll see about 6-8 goals each from De Jong, Riviere and Cabella. I quite like the look of Riviere though and think he could maybe hit 10 or 11, but I don't see him setting the league on fire.

That leaves Cisse, Gouffran, Sissoko, Perez and Ferreyra (with anything from Campbell/Armstrong/Vuckic/Obertan/HBA/Aarons/Sammy a bonus) to try and get 20 or so between them - and the bulk of those will probably come from Cisse if he gets fit fast enough. Can't see Sissoko getting more than 4 or 5, the others bar Ferreyra getting 4 or 5 between them and Ferreyra as an unknown quantity.

Our defence just don't ever score goals, so if we get 3 or 4 all season from the defenders (+ Anita, Colback, Tiote and Abeid) then that's probably a shit load more than I'd expect.

tl;dr version: we'll struggle to score a goal a game in the league without a good quality forward coming in.

Beyond a joke that Taylor's the only CB to score a PL goal for us in almost 4 years, like. :lol:

Why are we even still looking for strikers? We have already got 3 in. Surely we trust at least one of them to make the grade?

Any of them likely to hit 10 PL goals? Can't see it.

Maybe, maybe not. Is Lacazette guaranteed to hit more? The fact is the club wouldn't have invested 7 million in Riviere if they didn't think he was good enough to start for us. They also wouldn't have brought Ferreyra in on loan with a view to a permanent deal as a third/fourth choice striker only. After having gone for years without a Carroll, and then a Ba replacement, do you really expect them to splash out on 3 first team forwards for what is likely to be just one position (as well as keeping Cisse on due to injury and bringing in Ayoze as a squad player)?

I can't see us bringing in another striker unless it is someone that can also operate out wide (preferably on the right). Aubameyang would have been perfect.

But if you gave me a choice of signing another striker or a CB, I would chose the latter every time. I have little doubt we will continue to concede a s*** load this season unless there is a change in personnel.

'a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career' :lol:

Yeah, that made me chuckle as well.

I think the idea is that he'll be going somewhere nicer after slumming it here for a year.

I think out of the 4 senior strikers we have, Gouffran and Riviere are the most likely to get 10+ goals. The ceiling for those two is probably 12, if they played 30+ games. Cisse has the potential to get more than any of them but our set up is the antithesis of what he needs.

'a season outside the Champions League will not be damaging to his career' :lol:

It's sad, but when I read that statement, it did not to mean that Newcastle would be in the CL within a year, but Lacazette could move on to a new club after just one year with Newcastle.

I am actually OK with us being viewed as a stepping stone club (as long as its a stepping stone to the Champions league clubs and not to the likes of Spurs or Everton or Southampton).  My view is that for each player who uses us to step up and move on, another one sees us just as a step up and stays.

That process then fuels our progress upwards at a steady pace.